1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomatic victory

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by NintendoTogepi, May 5, 2008.

1. NintendoTogepi

NintendoTogepi Noble Pacifist

What do you think of it? I like it, it's a very fun way to win, espesically Diplomatic OCC.

They're also fun to win a last minute victory. I can't remember how many games I have won from a unexpected Diplomatic victory.

In a recent game that I was playing as Frederick, I thought I was done for, I had gotten dog piled by Survayaraman II and Shaka and was losing pretty much my entire empire...suddenly I got a GE in Hamburg (I knew building the Pyramids, Hanging Gardens and Hagia Sophia there would help!) and a GA in Berlin! I quickly bulbed Mass Media (I had researched part of it earlier) and then rushed the GE over to Frankfurt, my best city (Yet not my capital). I rushed the U.N. in Frankfurt and I was elected to the chair!

I tried to hold on and then proposed a peace resolution, which was defied! I was losing tons of cities but I tried it again and it succeeds! I had only one city left (Frankfurt) and pretty much could not have won a spaceship victory. I propose Enviromentalism as a universal civic which passes, and then Diplomatic victory as an act of desperation.

...yes! My good Confucian brothers of Roosevelt, Tokugawa and Zara Yaqob voted for me! And so did Asoka! My opponent Survyayarman only got the vote from Shaka.

I was pretty happy, but the world was divided. Me, Toku, Roosevelt and Zara had been living on the same continent and were all friendly and Confucian. Meanwhile on the other continent Survyarman, Shaka and Asoka were all warring with each other over the six religions!

But, what do you think of diplomatic victory?

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam GiftOfNukes

I've won a lot of games I probably shouldn't have because of it...especially with AP manipulation, such as bribing a friendly civ into FR then switching back into the AP religion last second.

Diplo wins are perfectly legit though and need to be set up. I have no problem with them but I prefer knowing I'd have won domination or some other victory type even if I win diplomatically. Otherwise it bothers me a tiny bit, but a win is a win.

3. bestje

bestje Big Game Hunter

I like the UN win but find the AP win too exploitable, I definitely agree that OCC diplomacy is a fun way to play. its much easier to manage having only one city and you can play a game in a few hours

4. Leader_H

Leader_H Chieftain

i nearly lose to the AI in diplomatic victory ... he lacks only 1 vote to win lol ... imagine my feeling of being the most lucky guy in civ.

5. digitCruncher

digitCruncher Chieftain

I normally play with the diplo victory OFF (as I hate the AP, and I hate the fact that, more often than not, nukes are banned before the Manhattan Project)

From now on, however, I will play with Diplo victory, as the games without it are quite shallow. The AP makes the game more challenging, yes, but its possible to prevent the AI from winning, if you take the appropriate precautions...

[Edit]I've never WON a diplo victory, and neither has anyone else. I always have power of veto over that particular UN resolution. I put this down to the fact that I don't expand fast enough, and all my friends often choose to 'abstain' rather than vote for me. The fact that I always Defy victory votes (why wouldn't you? Seriously? If the motion would pass normally, sure you get +5 :mad:, but you don't lose the game! And if it wouldn't normally pass, then you wouldn't get the :mad: anyway... -.-[/Edit]

6. glaivemaster

glaivemaster Chieftain

I've only ever won a diplomatic victory once, and that was because I controlled almost half the world, and had vassals etc. - I was going for Domination and taking a couple of cities would've got me it but I went for Diplo just to say I have once

How is one supposed to win Diplomatic victory, since everyone says it's so easy? It just never happens for me or the AI in my games

7. SenhorDaGuerra

SenhorDaGuerra Chieftain

i find it pretty boring... plus i think diplomacy is a broken concept.

id much rather wage wars and conquer everyone.

8. IronCrown

IronCrown Black Foe of the World

I find that winning diplo is often relatively easy when I dominate the game anyway and could also have won Space or Domination. But winning diplo out of a position of technological and military weakness is very hard because you don't have the means to buy friends or stir up wars. So often my diplo wins are just shortcuts to a victory I would have achieved anyway. But I still like it, especially the real peaceful diplo victory (as opposed to taking a lot of vassals and force them to vote for you).

9. eewallace

eewallace Chieftain

I haven't won a UN victory since getting BTS. But I've had several AP victories, including my second-best score ever from one. At this point, I don't try for this victory any more because it seems too easy. (Maybe harder on higher levels--I have just moved from noble to prince, so I'm not sure about that...)

10. mech654

mech654 Chieftain

I won Diplo two times. One when I playing as Iraq and second time playing as North Korea. AP is a great way to screw over a someone.

11. Birdmanthepuny

Birdmanthepuny Permanoob

I win most of my games vis diplomacy. In my last game though, I was going for a domination win. After failing to get the diplo win, and only lacking 6% land for the domination I went on the attack. On the turn before my borders popped for the win, I had also eliminated enough of the opposition's votes and won from the UN with out really trying.:lol:

12. Patrick555

Patrick555 Chieftain

Me too. Good road to win this is diplomacy

13. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Welcome to the Forums Patrick555. :beer:

14. Patrick555

Patrick555 Chieftain

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Jimmyballz

Jimmyballz Executive

Unfair diplomatic win - Aim for conquest victory:nuke:, build UN, like how birdman beat the system.

It's so unsatisfying.

Should have abstained:mad:.