1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomatic victory

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by magicshane, Dec 12, 2003.

1. magicshane

magicshane Chieftain

How do you win a diplomatic victory? I know it has to do with an election but when is the election, do I have to be in the election, if i'm not in the election, can I still win etc? I ask because in my current game i'm in the year 930ad and have the highest score but everyone is annoyed with me and the Incans are furious because I keep declaring war and sueing for peace over and over. Can I still win? Please help.

2. gunning1

gunning1 Chieftain

You have to build the United Nations. (Your country does) Once it's finnished, about every turn after, a message pops up asking if you want to hold an election for president (or whatever) of the United Nations. If you hold the election, and win, you win the game by a diplomatic victory. (I believe :))

3. magicshane

magicshane Chieftain

Can I still win if I don't accept the election? If I don't hold the election, does that mean someone else will be elected leader and I will lose? I don't think in this game I will be able to win a conquest game (still have all 7 civs in the game and it is the year 930) but I can still win by domination, culture (even though I don't have any great wonders I still have the best culture), or histographic win.

4. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

By declining to hold a vote, all that happens is that the vote is delayed another twenty turns. It is impossible to win a diplo victory without you or whoever built the UN from holding a vote.

5. capslock

capslock Chieftain

If you hold a vote, and lose, do you lose the game? I can't remember.

6. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

If you lose the election it is game over.

7. The Economist

The Economist Chieftain

But remember, someone needs a *majority* of the votes to win, not just more than any other candidate. So if there are 9 civs, and 3 are in the election, a civ will win if it gets 5 votes or more. Period, end of story.

The requirements for being "on the ballot" so to speak is that you have at least 25% of the world's territory OR population. If the UN is in one of your cities, you get to be a candidate no matter what.

Basically, I like to build the UN just so that I can block any elections from happening, since the AI's usually aren't too fond of me.

8. Kubla84

Kubla84 Chieftain

I finally got a diplomatic victory today
    regent level, standard world, 6 opponants, playing as portugese