1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Direct2Drive "announces" "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by salaminizer, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Model Citizen

Model Citizen Chieftain

Pre-order bonuses for various retailers is a fairly common practice in the games industry. I've never heard of people claiming it is an attempt to screw the customer. It's just an incentive to buy at a certain store, and it makes the Retailers happy. The extra content is just window dressing really. Anyways there will be so many mods out for Civ V that an extra civilization is fairly worthless in real dollars.

I'm sure most of you hadn't noticed but the video game industry has been struggling with sales as of late, and also struggling to adapt to a more modern marketplace that is growing used to things like Digital Distribution and Piracy. A lot of people are expecting that nothing should change in the way the companies market and sell the games, but not adapting to your environment ends up with you extinct. Really you should be happy 2K and Firaxis are doing everything they can to make Civ V popular, accessible and fun to play. The more successful it is the better additional content will be coming out for it.

2. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

We are all excited that Firaxis is doing everything it can to make Civ 5 the best game possible. On the other hand, we (me) are not happy that 2K does absolutely nothing to make Civ 5 a better game, but they only give it a bad image with all the strange stuff they consistently do and have done.

2K is pretty much the bane of Civilization, and without 2K, Civilization would be much better off.

3. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

Except they're not, 2K and Firaxis appear to be running their game into the ground due to -horrible- decision making. You can't look at how this release is being handled and say "Boy, 2K knows what its doing." You can't look at the huge backlash this game is getting -even amongst its core fanbase- because the release is being botched, because they'll have to pay for content that the modders would normally take care of, that the game is being redesigned more as a Panzer General style TBS than a Civilization game because Soren got replaced by a PG fanboy.

4. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

If the extra civilizations are worthless in real dollars, why are they being sold as DLC? You'd think they'd just give them away then.

Frankly, a lot of the stuggles in the videogame market just has to do with the economy. Fifty bucks isn't anything to sneeze at for those of us living in the real world. We'll have to see come September if I have to choose between Civ and paying the electric bill.

5. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

This game isn't getting a huge backlash. Sorry.

There isn't a huge boycott over Steam and there isn't an exodus among old players due to Civ5 being too different.

6. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Wait and see.
    There is a reason why Amazon had to lower prices.
    Pre-orders obviously aren't meeting expectations.
    Many people are at the very least hesitating to buy.

And there seem to be quite some reasons why the flow of information is so thin.

7. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

My guess would be the amazon price drop was in response to D2D having a better version than them. The amazon price still isn't the cheapest for the version its offering among retailers, so it may have been coming anyway.

8. YoHo

YoHo Warlord

I don't think you can judge pre-orders fairly in this economy anyway. A success for any video game may be measured differently.

And of course, we have to look at it vs. Civ4 the original. Not sales over time.

9. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Suggesting that civ would be better off without 2K implies a comparison between the situation with and without 2K. Care to actually make it? I would be highly surprised hould you actually make an informed and insightful comment on this topic, so until you do I will take it as if you were spamming rather than making an insightful comment.

10. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

It's pretty easy to make an informed decision based on the parent company of 2K, Take-2 and their past. Same thing would be to say that you are better off not driving around with someone who is drunk. Yes, I can make that informed decision.

They consistently make bad management decisions, have bad PR all over the place, they are not consistent in the way they run business (with DRM for example), etc etc. Just look at what they have done with all the different packages with different content and different prices; hiring web developers as PR, such a tough time answering simple questions on here... that alone doesn't paint anything in a 'good light' nevertheless make the game look 'better'. It's nothing 'Outrageously horrible' by any means, but doesn't paint them in a good light.

Civ 5 would be better off if 2K did nothing at all.. and kept their mouths shout. Most everything is seen as 'questionable' by them, and some stuff has even been shown to not be correct. Firaxis would be better off if 2K does nothing.

But they are stuck with them now, since they were acquired by the grim reaper.

11. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Choosing Civ in this situation would be like selling your car to pay for gas money. :lol:

12. Omega17

Omega17 Chieftain

Im just confused like most people I suppose, on what version to buy now...

I want the physical copy, for the sentimentality of it, but at the same time, the case is never going to BE seen ever again, due to Steams' lovely one-time CD useage :)

So, i've actually decided to buy a digital copy, but now there is all this mess with DLC from every corner of the game-shopping world, offering all these different DLC's...

My question is, does anyone actually think to themselves "dammit, im annoyed that im not sure if the DLC will come out seperately, but I dont want to worry about it, and just by the one that offers the most". (Which seems to be this version right now).

But the worry continues, that you dont get the full experience, the full content out there.

13. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

i don't get it.

Whats everyone so annoyed about?

14. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

That are probably the most people here.
    No one really wants this split in the community.

15. Provost Martin

Provost Martin Chieftain

Think like a consumer should. Buy the product that will please you the most and is the most cost-effective. I believe some are too sentimental when buying certain products. I will do as I always do these days, wait until the release, and perhaps then some, to assess the situation and make a decision based on available information. :)

Right now I'm leaning toward the D2D offer. I'm sure more will pop-up.

16. agoodfella

agoodfella Prince

Sorry that I couldn't read every single page, but could someone simply answer:

no matter what package I end up buying (Download or DVD), for these extra / bonus Civs, I presume we will have the option to purchase these sometime down the road? (i.e. its not like if you don't choose the option to grab this particular bonus Civ from the beginning you aren't simply SOL down the road, right?)

I actually can't be bothered comparing and contrasting every single iteration, this is totally ridiculous.

I mean for Civ 6, will you have the option to buy games with or without units?

17. Provost Martin

Provost Martin Chieftain

This is really no different than an expansion pack with extra civs, think of it like that. And yes, I'm 100% confident that all extra content will be available as DLCs later on.

18. Emstinson

Emstinson Warlord

Won't all the professional modders be able to institute whatever the DLC is in free content from sites like this? It's not like the DLC is game changing advancements, its maps and civilizations... I for one will buy the normal version on Steam and then peruse the web for additional content that I want on my game, not what they want to sell me.

19. negyvenketto

negyvenketto Scientist

I have a british bank account / debit card, so I suppose I can buy it using that. But I'm in Hungary, which is not in the list. The question is will I be able to dowload the game from a hungarian IP address?
    Does anybody have experience with a similar situation? Thanks.

20. salaminizer

salaminizer Colorado Internacional

actually, I think the problem is buying the game and not downloading it. I couldn't buy GTAIV at D2D here in Brazil, but I was able to download it logging in with an account that had bought the game.

they'll check your IP when you try to place your order.