1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Direct2Drive "announces" "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by salaminizer, Jul 17, 2010.

1. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Careful. I don't think he implied limited downloads (which if I understand right, are unlimited for D2D) but rather limited installs. This means limiting how many installs you can have active at once. I don't think it means limiting how many times you can activate the game (like Starforce does, which I hate btw).

2. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

You'll be happy to know that no major game uses Starforce anymore, at least in the US. Starforce is pretty much just a Russian thing since Ubisoft -finally- dropped it.
    I still can't believe people whine about Ubisoft's new system. I'd rather have to be online to play a game than install something that has been shown to cause serious damage to your computer, both on the software and hardware end.

3. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

My bad, I read it wrong! With d2d you can download a game any number of times, but are limited to the number of installs? Well still, this must only apply to non steamworks games. Once we purchase/install the game, if bought through d2d, we are under steams juristiction, so to speak, and d2d rules will no longer apply, because we won't have to deal with them anymore, unless we wanted to. I think this limited installs pertaining to D2D is a non issue for Civ V, and any steamworks game.

4. kopyion

kopyion Chieftain

I've actually found that this latest edition/configuration discovery resolves some of my agitation about the whole DLC thing. Yes, I'm appalled by it, but it also does a fair bit to resolve my hanging questions about the CiV offering format.

Previously I was upset about the use of Babylon as a cynical bargaining tool to sell the deluxe edition, and the fragmentation of the user game experience. The discovery that there will be small and freqent DLC packs with a couple of civs and maps basically renders this concern irrelevant. There will be no commonality in the game experience (assuming, as I think we can, that 2K will not be going down the free DLC updates a la TF2). I imagine it will be possible to purchase everything that gets released as DLC at some point (even the initial "exclusive" content), but I'm just not interested in doing that. A multitude of small content releases makes the content of those releases pretty irrelevant, to me. Perhaps that's just my age showing through :).

Which is actually kind of liberating. Who cares if I don't get Babylon? I'm not going to be getting all sorts of civs and maps down the track. Unless I care to wait for a GOTY edition with various bundled DLC - and frankly, the game itself looks too good to do that - I'll just get the basic standard edition on release, and then not worry about DLC unless there is a sizeable expansion with actual rule enhancements.

I'm sorry and kind of sad that CiV has gone down this route, but meh, what can you do?

5. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

lol, then it's no surprise the only game I have using Starforce came from Russia. :) (DCS Black Shark). I recently de activated the game for a computer reformat and was at least glad to see that when I emailed them a question I got a very quick reply and in good English. But I don't think I'll ever buy a game with Starforce on it again. You know DRM has gone too far when more than half of the quick start manual is explaining all the ins and outs of activations and deactivations.

6. bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer Steppin' up!

Win.

On a more seirous note, just by the game on Amazon. That's what I did (well my mom) and I just pre-ordered CiV, just the regular game.

7. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Yeah, DLC doesn't have to be bad.

$10 for one civ - that is completely and utterly unacceptable. Even so.

For me, 18 or whatever civs in the base game is plenty for me. Paying extra for a civ really doesn't add much for me. Whoopeee.

I'll buy expansions that truly expand that game AND add more civs but paying on the fly for single civs, scenarios, or other fluff just isn't likely to happen.

8. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Agreed. Honestly, I don't mind DLC if I don't have to wait more than a week for the extra civs (Babylon, etc.). I even like the idea of not buying a civ if I think its BS (a la HRE and Natives in Civ4).

9. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

I've just preordered the basic game - I can't be bothered with map packs or whatever, they'll get out sooner or later either way

10. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Starforce is probably the worst DRM ever (that i've heard of anyways), but Ubisoft's is still pretty horrendous.

11. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

If buying from D2D ends up with D2D DRM and Steam DRM, then :crazyeye: :sad: :suicide:

That would open a whole new can of worms. 2K Greg, please add this to your famous FAQ.

12. arstal

arstal Say No 2 Net Validations

What can you do- say no sale and let your wallet do the talking. Seriously, hating this stuff, then buying the same just makes no sense to me. Especially when Civ IV is still good, and may likely be a better game then Civ V. At least wait until reviews to make sure that Civ V > Civ IV.

BTW, it was installations, and the limit was absurdly low over a lifetime. Five, I had to reformat, get a new comp, and other stuff- I hit the limit in about 2 years time. Thankfully the DRM was gone, otherwise I would have had to either dealt with annoying support. The cracked .exe for BTS also ran much faster then the D2D version.

All in all, I will never use D2D period. As for Starforce, they'd probably still be around if it wasn't for Stardock getting angry over Starforce's extortion attempt on them.

13. CTH

CTH Prince

well, if D2D just sends you a key to steam, there wont be any DRM other than steam...

14. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Double civilization sounds to me like they sell civ5 and give away civ3 for free. The scenario's may very well be scenario's that are included in the game... It does not sound completely unreasonable to me.

15. Hafnia

Hafnia Chieftain

I'm pretty damn sure it's not just the Civ3 addition, since the website reads:

... the release date implies that this is content that will be released after the actual game.

I'll bet they will do themed civ/map packs (as purchasable DLC). Babylon civ and Cradle of Civilization map(s) would make a logical first one, which then probably got subdivided all to hell to make sure all retailers could claim something 'exclusive'. But I'll bet that more are coming, and that some of the "big name" Civs left out of the initial release will come later along with maps and other extra content. Something native american themed would be a possibility for the next one, as would something asian, I guess.

16. kopyion

kopyion Chieftain

Ah, well the problem with letting my wallet do the talking is that I think Firaxis is doing a great job, I'm excited by the game and I want to support them. Conversely, I'm strongly - emotionally even - opposed to every marketing decision we've heard of so far, and I'm not wanting to support the marketing approach. It's a minor dilemma.

But I think you're right about waiting for some reviews, and certainly I don't think we've been given a reason to order the game ahead of time. Quite the reverse.

17. wolfigor

wolfigor Emperor

hahahahaha... the "famous" FAQ. :)

I guess the FAQ will be available as DLC after the official launch (or in preorder with only 15$ extra compared to the other editions) :)

Obviously I'm just joking (well... at least I hope I'm joking and not forecasting the future).

18. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Hold on... Direct2Drive uses limited install DRM on top of Steam?

I'm going to be honest, I seriously doubt Direct2Drive has the authority to ADD additional DRM into whatever games it chooses to. This cannot be Direct2Drive's doing, but 2K has to have a hand in this. There is no other way.

Sounds like some kind of little "side-test" to see which works better... Steamworks OR Steamworks/Limited Install.

I see no possible way 2K had absolutely 0% knowledge/involvement/activity in the case of Direct2Drive adding DRM to one of 2K's games.

2K has a long line of implementing horrible DRM methods, and they probably wish they could; so my guess is they are serving out different DRM's from different resalers to test them out. But I don't know how much of this is speculation or not.

19. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

the post I quoted is from D2D and applies to all games sold by them - doesn't rule out that in some cases that is not implemented, but in general that is their policy, nothing to do with 2k.

20. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

So you think that D2D modified the DRM implemented with the game without 2K's Knowledge and Approval? Doing this would probably be illegal and D2D would face lawsuit.

AFAIK, to implement limited installs requires not just some file to be copied into a directory, but it must tie in with the program itself. So, 2K / Firaxis Has to be involved in some way. So, if it is D2D policy to do so, and they are the ones who said "We only sell with limited installs", then 2K would have been the ones that said "Ok, we will do so, and have it added in for D2D sales".