1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Direct2Drive "announces" "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by salaminizer, Jul 17, 2010.

1. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

The support ticket was answered:

So it seems like it's a simple Steam activation key, which means you'll be getting a normal install. I don't think there will be extra DRM, it wouldn't even make sense, how would they implement it after giving us the key?

2. Hafnia

Hafnia Chieftain

I bought Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins from D2D, and both require online validation with Bioware/EA to play. There was no D2D validation on top of this - so it would seem that in some cases, D2D do not impose anything on top of what is already in the game.

Of course, I don't know if this will be the case with Civ5.

3. Geek113377

Geek113377 Human (Usually)

we know that that can't include babylon because D2D is ALSO offering a digital deluxe version that includes their "double civ & scenario" AND the steam digital deluxe (mesopotamia map, babylon, behind the scenes). so if you have to pay extra to get babylon in their DD version, the "double civ" CAN'T include it.

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Not "double civ", it's "double pack" (civ+scenario) ;).

5. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Mesopotamia is a Steam pre-order bonus, it's not part of the deluxe edition.

6. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

The more I read it, the more I think this is incorrect. It says " 1st Double Civilization and Scenario Pack". First, if it was only one civ, they would not need the word double. "1st Civilization and Scenario Pack" The double is obviously implied, because there are two items. To state " 1st Double Civilization and Scenario pack" reads to me, The first dlc with a double civ and a scenario pack. To say they mean just a civ and a pack, but use the word double, which is already implied, doesnt make sense. And it clearly would confuse people, so I doubt they would word it in such a way as to have two meanings, when clearly removing the word double would imply two items, because there are only two items listed without double. To add double only infront of civlization seems to imply there are two civs, one pack.

If you read it with a slight pause, or say it to yourself like there are two items are infront of you, and your trying to sell it to someone " 1st Double..... Civlization and Scenario Pack" It reads like two items. Without a pause and read all together no pause "1st Double Civilization and Scenario Pack" it seems like two civs one Pack.

7. 2K Greg

2K Greg <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

Okay guys I have some answers for you:

The D2D version does indeed come with a bonus of 2 civilizations and a scenario. The deluxe edition comes with Babylon as you know, and that's in addition to the 2 other civilizations.

Also, the D2D version does not have any extra DRM in it. There are no install limits, just like every other version of the game.

Unfortunately I do not have any more details about the DLC right now, such as which civilizations it will be.

8. Hank Fluba

Hank Fluba Chieftain

Thanks for the response. I guess the next question everyone will want to know is if the DLC is "exclusive" to D2D or will just be free with their purchase and the rest of us would have to purchase it. I know you probably don't know yet, but that question is worth asking as we learn more. Especially for those of us who already "pre-purchased" (not pre ordered because payment has already been made) from Steam the digital deluxe exclusive edition. Also, could DLC also be added to the Steam digital deluxe? Thanks!

9. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Thanks for clearing up the install limit thingy ;)

So those who buy Steam Deluxe get 3 extra civ's... those who buy D2D get 2 extra civ's... and all the poor saps that buy the store version get 0 extra civ's?

10. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Any word on the Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia pre-order bonus? Will we get that too by ordering at D2D since it's basically a Steam pre-order as well?

EDIT: Also, can you give us some info on what exactly those Cradle of Civilization maps are? Are they just pre-made maps like the Earth-style maps of Civ 4?

11. Hafnia

Hafnia Chieftain

D2D customers get 3 as well with the deluxe edition, if I'm reading things right.

Store version will likely be 0, but I'll bet anything that the DLC package D2D are offering will also be released as a separate, purchasable DLC for all those who bought the store version. Also note that neither Steam nor D2D claims that this "Double civ and map pack" is an exclusive.

12. 2K Greg

2K Greg <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

A D2D pre-order is different than a Steam pre-order and so the bonuses have the potential to be different.

I am not sure about the Cradle of Civilization maps; I'll check in to that.

13. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

No, Steam deluxe gets you Babylon and the pre-order map pack (Mesopotamia), you will have to pay for the first premium DLC.

D2D Deluxe edition gets you Babylon and the first DLC pack (which is two Civs), which means 3 Civs in total (when the DLC is released). Basically they are one-upping a direct Steam purchase by giving you the first DLC for free.

Right now, D2D is looking like the best deal unless the pre-order bonus is something really special.

Nice, thanks broski. That's really the only thing I'm confused about at the moment, there's no concrete information on what exactly those pre-order bonuses actually are.

14. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

Thanks for the clarification, Greg.
    I will forward this to the German community.
    The more people know, the better they can decide.

However, please forward these points to the 2K marketing:
    1. The Civ hardcore "Collectors", looking for a representative and complete Collectors Edition, are extremely dissatisfied that there is no retail version, not even the most expensive "Special Edition", containing all Civs. The Collectors are more than willing to pay 2K a great deal of money for a *complete* retail collectors version!
    2. No matter which version customers will buy (Standard, Deluxe, Special...), in the end all fans expect a way to buy missing Civs as DLC for completing their version. So please make sure that this will be possible on the release date.

15. Akkon888

Akkon888 한국 사람

Hmm.

It is unusual that there is little outrage voiced here that the vanilla of Civ5 is really just 6/7 of a game.

I don't get it. Will there always be these "mini-expansions" that arrive every month or so? Will there actually be legitimate expansions like Warlords and BtS that add a lot more to the game for the money? Will there be 5 (lol) versions of Civ5 available, before the day of release?

All of these uncertainties prevent me from pre-ordering at the moment. I suppose I will have to search reviews of the game after it comes out, to see if I should buy the game I was once certain about buying.

16. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

Well, as long as additional "content" seemed to be reserved to a competitor of D2D, we have been bombarded with "explanations" that this is just due to "modern times", to which we "should adjust".

Now, that obviously a different company is offering a better deal, that very vocal but small minority doesnt't show up anymore (something, which I don't regret at all).

Since D2D offered a free first "double civilization" pack, I am pretty sure that 2K's plans were to issue such "packs" every now and then.

I think, this is a very clever position.
    At the moment, you don't know whether next week some other store will come up with an even better offer.

17. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Akkon's point echoes my own point of view: this proliferation of "special deals" seems to be making people hesitate to buy more than it provides an incentive to pre-order. It doesn't seem like a very sharp marketing move.

18. Hafnia

Hafnia Chieftain

I would agree, but these forums do not represent more than a small percentage of the people who will eventually buy the game - and let's face it, the members of this site will have a very high buy-in rate no matter what marketing moves are done.

The focus of the marketing is probably more on making Joe Casual Gamer want to buy the game, and I hope 2K has deep and thorough studies proving that special offers = higher sales to Joe :)

19. Krill

Krill Deity

Counter point: you don't know when this great deal will be revoked, either.

but then, neither is good for anyone, really.

20. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

D2D: 21st of September, 10 a.m. PST IIRC.
    To this I agree.

And I honestly think the genius who came up with that idea at 2k should be fired.