1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Direct2Drive "announces" "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by salaminizer, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

I think whoever came up with this idea is a genius, well not a genius. By giving D2D a much better offer it takes away some attention from steam. Also is there even any mention of steam on the D2D page? I don't recall seeing any, but I could be mistaken. Well anyways, does anyone know if you get civ 3 right away, or do we have to wait till civ v is released?

2. Krill

Krill Deity

T&C claim it can be removed before then, was my point.

3. cccv

cccv King

Yes, please.

And since DLC is out of the bag, it's time to get some answers. The second thing I want to know (the first being an answer to number 2 in the above quote) is if DLC will be released alongside or in place of xpacs. And if it is alongside, is there any kind of assurance we can have that the xpacs won't duplicate the DLC content? I am not going to risk spending 3-5 (or more) dollars per pop for 5 different DLC packs only for an xpac to come out that adds to gameplay and comes with all the civs I already bought.

4. Akkon888

Akkon888 한국 사람

If there is indeed no answer to this, it seems that the companies would like to keep people guessing for maximum profit.

5. cccv

cccv King

I suspect that may well be the case. If they confirm that DLC will not take the place of xpacs, I have no problem going a year until the xpac is out without buying any DLC just to be sure, just like I'm not buying civ 5 altogether until I have an answer to number 2 up there so I don't end up paying 10 dollars for Babylon just to find out I could have waited 4 months to buy it for 3-5.

6. Hafnia

Hafnia Chieftain

You get it right away - I have access to the download now (but haven't dl'ed it yet). I think it's even the complete edition, with all the expansion packs etc.

7. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

Thanks! So you took the plunge? I'm still wavering, I'm a little paranoid something bigger may come along. Also it is the complete version, that should keep you busy! Thanks again.

8. PinkHammurabi

PinkHammurabi Warlord

Greg, forgive me for likely asking a redundant question but I want to make sure this is perfectly clear to me.

As it pertains to Civ5 content only,

Steam Deluxe Edition is $60, contains Civ5 and Bablyon and Mesopotamia Map.
    D2D Deluxe Edition $60, contains Civ5, Babylon/Meso, and 2 *additional* Civilizations?

Is this completely accurate?

9. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

you forgot Civ III Complete a $10-20 value

10. D712

D712 Queen

I totally understand what you mean. But I rarely see that happening with DLC. Im thinking they will probably offer civs/maps/scenarios online. But in the xpacs they will probably offer new features. Since there is DLC I think they wont want us to buy the DLC then get the xpac and be pissed when it came in the xpac. They can probably sense the fallout of that.

11. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

The expansion packs will likely be expansions to the core game engine (more stuff for modders to play with=better mods)

12. D712

D712 Queen

Exactly! Ive seen them make some mistakes (letting so many different sellers provide different oacks at different prices) but I doubt they would make the mistake of selling us the same thing twice and making us pay both times.

13. ColdFever

ColdFever blue

All agreed. With this splitting DLC approach 2K obviously tries to mimic EA's Dragon Age DLC success. But because not all details are clear and there are different offers popping up here and there, instead of creating presale demand 2K created presale confusion and presale losses. IMHO this is a marketing desaster.

To be honest, I don't know anymore. Being a collector, as with all Civ versions, I planned buying a retailers Collector's Edition on release or a similar Collector's Edition on Steam. But with only incomplete versions available, I now have to wait to see how and where we are able to finally purchase a complete version. I even find it possible now to wait until a first complete "Gold Edition" will be released. Unbelievable...

Joe Gamer also wants to play with as many Civilizations as possible. And with more and more different offers popping up now, he now finds that preordering would be stupid as long as the best offer is not clear. So presale prices are dropping now, at least on Amazon in Europe.

14. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

Yea, 2K really, really screwed up. Big time. This is going to deal a major blow to early sales of Civ5.
    It'd help if their sales reps they send out actually gave information. How many of 'em do we have, and they couldn't help clear things up in the slightest?
    It's gone beyond a marketing decision, that's just idiocy on the company's (2K's, Firaxis probably has no control over marketing and announcements) part.

The closest thing I can think of, comparison wise, is Nintendo practically killing Jet Force Gemini by revealing some shots of an early version, then revealing -nothing else- until release. People based their decision to purchase on the early footage of the game (Which featured the heroes as... annoying little kids), Rare ends up losing a lot of money.
    Either that or Harmonix's issues with Rock Band 1. They were pressured by EA to announce a lot of things that didn't come to fruition till a year after release, and had to basically ignore their fanbase's questions (When's RB finally coming to AUS? What happend to those albums? Weren't we going to be able to take photos of our bandmembers?) and complaints (though fans at least got an extended warranty on the god awful first wave peripherals.)

It really bugs me I guess because I can only think of a few complaints I've had with Firaxis.
    Revolutions was... really lame and unpolished. Colonization had -no- effort put into it and is only fun for one play through, the only good things it brought were some graphical improvements that Blue Marble and other mods moved over to Civ4 proper. ...also Warlords. Warlords was a big ball dropping. I guess Firaxis knows that, since BtS basically includes Warlords, except for the few scenarios Warlords added.

15. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Pinkhammurabi, there is a stickied thread where this post contains the latest complete information on all configurations as offered.

16. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

So many people offering their opinions on what will happen in the near future with the sales figures of civ5. Time will tell, but these analyses based on these meagre info provided here and on the feedback that a few civfans post here... Please.

17. Hafnia

Hafnia Chieftain

Yeah, I'm a D2D fanboi :D

I'd been holding off on the Steam/Amazon/other retail version to see if D2D did something, because for all other purchases I have made, their prices and bonus content have been very competitive. And they didn't disappoint this time either with a deluxe package containing all the good stuff at prices around $15 lower than the stuff is available for elsewhere.

With all the exclusives popping up all over the place, I can't blame people for waiting a bit more to see which deals pop up tomorrow, though - but at least now I have peace of mind. :)

18. wolfigor

wolfigor Emperor

Having D2D selling CIVV is a great move for Steam:
    - They get more people, usually customers of D2D, to use Steam.
    - They get more people to sell DLC to.

Obviously D2D needed to have some "sweetener" for the deal, that's why they got the option to sell a better package than Steam.

What again is very frustrating is the very little information given to the consumer.
    I didn't see anywhere in the page on D2D that CIVV forces you to install and run Steam.
    Many buyers know it, but there will be some that will get Steam as a surprise: can they ask for a refund?

19. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Everyone is of course free to ask, I take it you mean to ask if they would be legally correct to do so, and could theoretically force D2D to provide a refund by legal means.

This is actually a very interesting question. I will ponder it and do some research (slow day at work) and I will get back to you in a moment.

20. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

wolfigor, I think I have the answer. Keep in mind that my answer is based on Dutch law, whichin turn is based on European law. That means that there may be differences in details from Euro-country to country, but the majority of the articles are dound one way or another in the laws of the EU countries. For the gist of it, see the last paragraph.

It may even be similar outside of the EU, although I can neither guarantee that nor do I know for sure. Some one with a law degree in non-EU law should help me out here to know for sure.

Anyway, the seller states that the product offered is not elligible for refunds. This means that part of the deal - and a known part of the deal, no 'small print' - is that there will be no refunds, apparently for no reason whatsoever. That is the face value of that statement. At a glance, I did not find any document that stated what law is applicable on the agreement, so I would assume the law of the country where the seller is based applies. My guess is that this would be US law. This makes the deal even muddier, since as I underdstand it states are free to make their own laws as well.

Anyway, so at face value there will be no refunds, period. In reality this part of the deal is no more than a speed bump for the consumer. D2D can state that part of the deal is 'no refunds', the consumer then has the added difficulty in getting his money back in so far that he needs not only provide proof that the deal was based on misinformation that D2d should have prevented, but also that it is unreasonable to expect that D2D keeps the money given the circumstances.

What makes it really hard to provide a definite answer to this question is that the law states that a product must have the 'specifications that the buyer should expect based on the agreement. The buyer may expect that a product has those specifications that allow normal use of the product for the purpose for which it was bought' (my translation from Dutch). In other words, the game should run... That's it. Other bumps like the game requiring steam and such is not protected by consumer law, or at least it is my expert opinion that it isn't, and if you were my client I would advise you by stating just that.

So that leaves us by general agreement principles, like what the buyer who does some meagre research should and should not know about the product. I think that you should not have to expect a game requiring steam, and that the seller should provide this info. When you bring this up in court though, I think it would be unreasonable to expect a refund for this alone. A compensation for your inconvenience would be more appropriate, and I would guestimate the inconenience at about 0, unless you can put a price on it and suipport that price guestimate with evidence.

I think getting a refund has pretty much 0 chance. Upon seeing the 'no refunds' sign, a good buyer asks questions to prevent being surprised later on. If you do no such research, you are asking for surprises down the road. When confronted with these surprises, I think you have next to no chance in court.