Director of Infrastructure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
This thread is for organizing our workforce, and to determine which tiles to work on to maximize city production, and to build infrastructure to new city sites.

This first post will contain links to the latest reports, and updates on the worker project for this term.

A preliminary report:

Native Worker = 1 worker
Foreign Worker = .5 worker

Workforce:

16 Workers
1 Foriegn

16.5 workers.

Worker Assessment - 16 workers for 12 cities (and just before the middle ages). This is quite a first for the demogame. However, we're lucky that we're industrious (workers are twice as fast). Had this been a non industrious civ, I'd be wanting 24 workers. We'll also need to double the amount of workers just before hitting the industrial era (from designated worker factories). We do, however, have jungle, of which both cities won't be reaching size 12 until an aquaduct is built.

First Task - Setting Priorities (Important note - we can't build aquaducts!)

Deux Rivieres - This can grow to size 12, and has plenty of excess food thanks to flood plains. (In total, 10 excess food, or 5 free sizes in growth). This is what it needs worked to achieve maximum productivity. (This is a potential 25spt city, BTW, great for knights! Knights every 3 turns.). This is a top priority city.

In the shaded area, all floodplains shall be irragated, and all tiles mined.

Santa Lucia - This city needs an aquaduct to grow past size 6. Therefore, it only needs 6 free tiles, 4 of which are already free of jungle (3 grassland, 1 forest). It only needs 2 jungle tiles cleared. We can leave the forest in. Why? Because it halts at size 6, and will have 2 surpluss food, which are going nowhere.

Huntington - This city also needs an aquaduct to grow past size 6, and only needs 6 tiles free. There are 3 free tiles. We need to clear 3 non-luxury jungle tiles. Why non luxury tiles? Because a luxury tile will NEVER yield more than 1 spt. Ever.

(under construction)

Second Task - Pairing up the work force.

For all normal tiles (normal being, grassland, plains, desert, tundra), I want assigned, 2 workers each. For all jungle tiles, I want assigned, 3 workers each. Normally, I'd go with 4, but the jungle cities are low in population, and can only grow to size 6 until aquaducts (which we won't have for atleast 26 turns).

Just small comments:

For roading and mining (not irrigation), it is most efficient to pair a native worker with a slave.

We can't build aqueducts now, but we can 6 turns from now. Thus it would be easy to prebuild with temples, libraries, etc.

Since we are about to go republic, the jungle near Vo Mimbre should be cleared sooner rather than later.

The people of Huntington want all the Jungle tiles cleared so we can grow past size two. Plus we want a worker there all time until all the tiles are filled up with mining shafts or irragated fields. The main thing is get all the jungle out first.

This is the wishlist for worker actions in Audiac:

Vandelay:
worker NNE: irrigate; road; SE; mine and road mountain (lots of effort, but we need the shields)

New Falcon's Heaven:
irrigate; NE-E; road forrest; W-NW; irrigate; road

Raven's Flight:
clear, mine, road; N; clear, mine; SW; clear, mine, road; E; clear, mine, road any further enforcements appreciated, since we place high priority on Raven's Flight culture expansion

St. Octaviansburg:
finish mine, road; and then:
worker 1: NW; road, NW; road; NW; mine hill; road; (this should help the settlement planned at Z/blue)
worker 2: E; irrigate; road; join Raven's Flight team

Cijam:
worker NE: mine; road; SE, mine; road
worker W-N: finish road; if we war Egypt: road to wines; otherwise: S; irrigate; road; SE; irrigate; road

Once the people of Huntington want all the tiles cleared, they want them all mined. ALL mined. And like I said in my last post we want a worker there all time until all tiles are full in city radius.

Chieftess, do you have a recommendation as to how many workers to assign to each city/tasks? And which cities/tasks should take priority?

Originally posted by truckingpete
The people of Huntington want all the Jungle tiles cleared so we can grow past size two. Plus we want a worker there all time until all the tiles are filled up with mining shafts or irragated fields. The main thing is get all the jungle out first.

One might think that all 20 tiles need to be cleared, but let's look at the facts...

Current - The cities can only get up to size 6. There's no sense wasting worker time clearing uneeded jungle. (Those dyes didn't need to be cleared - only roaded).

Size 7+ - We'll need aquaducts. We don't even have them yet. We haven't even started building these yet, nor are the cities even close to size 6. Our workers need to beef up potential power cities first.

Size 13+ - We're gonna need a strange building called a "Hospital". (I had a dream once about these futuristic places... Walls and tools made of pure iron... and strange materials, that look like they came from a jellyfish - clear). Roleplay over. We're not gonna get to this point until FAR into the game. Those extra tiles that we clear now would be a waste.

Once the people of Huntington want all the tiles cleared, they want them all mined. ALL mined. And like I said in my last post we want a worker there all time until all tiles are full in city radius.

Yes, mining is a always a good thing when you have all grassland (and at least 2 hills, or 1 mountain). :)

(One extra note - it's gonna take me a little longer to re-adjust to vanilla civ3's industrious workers).

IMHO the request for Huntington is not optimal. I would irrigate at least one tile (currently occupied by the Babylonian) to grow to size 6 fast. Our industrious workers can afterwards change the irrigation to mine. Just my recommendation.

Originally posted by zorven
Chieftess, do you have a recommendation as to how many workers to assign to each city/tasks? And which cities/tasks should take priority?

Yes, the basic layout is group workers by 2, and by 4 if they're working on the jungle. Also, if you are to use the Bab worker, make him build roads/mines on grassland/plains/deserts.

Classifications are coming.

Originally posted by Chieftess
Yes, the basic layout is group workers by 2, and by 4 if they're working on the jungle. Also, if you are to use the Bab worker, make him build roads/mines on grassland/plains/deserts.
Since we are industrious, grouping by 2 means wasting 1 turn if we road or mine flat land.

If we want to work flat land, especially build long roads, the optimum is to pair the slave with one native worker.

Jungle clearing needs 12 "native turns", thus, 2, 3, or 4 native workers are best. Also look at when the tile will be used: e.g. Huntington and Santa Lucia can be improved "slowly".

With industrious workers, you can't help wasting .5 workers when building roads. (You'd need more foriegn workers - it's actually a bit easier in C3C). For mines, if we have 6 native workers, building 3 roads, then they can group into 2 groups of 3 to mine. Right now, our workers are kind of scattered about. Yes, you could try to have 3 roads, and 2 mines done in 2 turns, but look at it this way - cities only grow so fast -- 2.5 tiles done in 2 turns when a city takes 7-10 to grow. Managing workers like this would be better in the industrial era (since you'll have rails). It's a trade-off, and why non-industrious workers are better to manage this way. (3 workers for a road, and 6 for a mine). Industrious workers start getting into fractions, which, if you try to do it in the ancient/middle ages, it's tedious, and isn't worth the effort IMHO. In the industrial era, yes, it can be done.

As far as priorities go, DR, Vandelay, and Vo Mimbre are on the top of the list. (I *really* wished we had taken those bonus tiles to the SE... but Babylon's starting to get to them. :().

I can tell you right now, that DR, Vandelay, and Cijam are our top priority cities, since they can get to size 12.

Cijam makes me wish Engineers were in Vanilla Civ3. ;) I'm missing them already! :lol:

Official Report

Notes:

I = Irragate (and road)
M = Irragate (and road)
FR = Forest & Road (If there is no forest, then mine - wait until Eng. to forest)

Allocated Workers: 16 workers

Tasks:

Jungle Clearing Team - 6 workers (2 groups of 3)
Improvement Team - 10 workers (5 groups of 2)

Cities of Top Priority -

First Priority - (in the following order)

1. Vo Mimbre - Assign 1 "Improvement Team" to this city.
2. Vandelay - Assign 1 "Improvement Team" to this city.
3. Cijam - Assign 1 "Improvement Team" to this city.
4. Montpellier - Assign 1 "Improvement Team" to this city.
5. St. Octaviansburg - Assign 1 "Improvement Team" to this city.

The above teams should build irragation (2 turns), and a road (1 turn) on the labeled tiles. (Exception - move the irragated tile marked by the black line to the tile where the arrow is pointing. This tile is already irragated. So, ignore that northern tile)

Huntington - Assign 1 "Jungle Clearing Team" to this city.
Santa Lucia - Assign 1 "Jungle Clearing Team" to this city.

The above jungle clearing teams should concentrate on clearing the 3 "remaining" jungle tiles only. (This should take 15 turns), then regroup to become 3 "Improvement Teams". After turn 15, 1 worker team each will be assigned to these cities. The extra worker team will head to DR.

Important - All "Improvement Teams" should irragate, then road tiles that give the most food benefit in the following order: Flood plains, Grassland, Plains, Desert. Do -not- chop down forest unless it's marked by an "M". As the desert cities grow, keep the tiles on the floodplains for the quickest growth.

2nd Priority - (in the following order)

1. Deux Rivieres - This city's top priority now is as a settler factory, and does not need much more in the way of improved tiles.
2. Groton - This is a future (possible FP if we choose). We need to beef up our interior cities first, and build more cities (especially around this city). We need to concentrate on our first core of cities.
3. Sanction - This is a "Support" city, which we'll focus on after the core is built up.

3rd Priority - (in the following order)

1. Raven's Flight - This is a "2nd ring" city that's full of jungle. Once the interior cities are complete (15-20 turns, maybe), some attention can be given to it.
2. New Falcon's Haven - This city has about 5 usable plains, and several mountains. It won't amount to much until the industrial era.
3. Mure - This city is a sitting duck, that just won't grow. Instead of building warrior after warrior, it could build workers (atleast 2), and TRY to build a temple just to save it. It's doubtful if this city is really worth the effort. Rather, it's a free Babylonian city (thus the red color).

Below are the cities and their worked regions:

Western Fanatica

Eastern Fanatica

I agree with some of your assessment, I disagree with others. ;)

What do you propose in terms of worker actions? This has to factor in when the tiles are needed. I made a detailed wishlist for Audiac. Does this have your approval? Do you have better recommendations? What about Berry and the new province-less cities?

1 - I wished that was a little clearer.
2 - I'm working on existing cities, not potential ones, since I have no clue where the next city will be. (we've been placing cities like the wind this game... :undecide:). That's why I'd rather focus on existing cities. I'd build roads to future city sites, but I'm not too sure about our sentry net protecting our workers.
3 - I've made models to grow the cities up to size 12 (I'm trying to make a program that helps with this), and maximized growth and production.

To add another note (I was using an old save - didn't notice 50BC...), New Falcon's Haven would be in the 3rd priority list. It's all plains and mountains, so it can't do much yet.

Suppliment for Bootsville:

Using the worker pair north by Mont., perform the following tasks for Bootsville. Because we're at war, road first, then mine.

R = Road
M = Mine

Keep the focus on bonus tiles.

EDIT: Have the Mure worker move to the mountain next turn (turn 1), and build a road on the iron (5 turns). See if you can ask for a few sword upgrades.

Here is another request from the Huntington people..

We would like to relocate our laborer currently toiling in the dye fields east of town to the mined grasslands due north of town, as long as the extra shields produced are not wasted. This will help us to build stuff faster.

We wold like to mine the dye fields to maximize the production from that tile.

Hope this isn't too much..

Thanks!

From,
Mayor Truckingpete, Citizens, and Villiage Council of Huntington

Originally posted by truckingpete
Here is another request from the Huntington people..

We would like to relocate our laborer currently toiling in the dye fields east of town to the mined grasslands due north of town, as long as the extra shields produced are not wasted. This will help us to build stuff faster.

We wold like to mine the dye fields to maximize the production from that tile.

Hope this isn't too much..

Thanks!

From,
Mayor Truckingpete, Citizens, and Villiage Council of Huntington

I certainly approve of that. We should be focusing on production right now, especially when we're hurting badly at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom