Disabling Civs

Bob III

Lazy Roamer
How hard would it be to disable civs in RFC? Would it be possible to make a feature where certain civs would never pop up, for what-if scenarios?

For example: What would happen if the Americans never declared independence? or What if the Babylonians controlled Arabia through all of history instead of the Arabs or the Turks?

So, would it be possible to make a feature to disable certain civs for each game, like in the Custom Scenario?

No Arabia or Turkey would be very nice, especially if you want to play Babylon to build a spaceship.
Some UHVs would be much simpler though (e.g. no Mongolia for China, no China for Japan, no India for Greece).

No Arabia or Turkey would be very nice, especially if you want to play Babylon to build a spaceship.
Some UHVs would be much simpler though (e.g. no Mongolia for China, no China for Japan, no India for Greece).

y would India affect Greece?

I can think of a few ways of doing this: setting the spawn date to something like 4000AD, killing the civ as soon as it spawns (could be done in worldbuilder on a game-by-game basis or with python), give the civ no starting units. I don't think they would cause problems because in all the case the civ is still theoretically in there, just disabled in some way. Can't be sure though.

Úmarth;6581122 said:
I can think of a few ways of doing this: setting the spawn date to something like 4000AD, killing the civ as soon as it spawns
However the civ can come back later on as re-spawn if you have bad stability... wouldn't be better to est the span time at a date after 2050? :)

What would happen if you just deleted a civ from the XML?
I would expect a crash, though.

Almost certainly, for one the civs in the python are registered from the xml so it would throw those out of whack and if you adjusted them too there would be still be a load of references in the python to a civ that doesn't exist. That's not to say it can't be done, but I think there are several hacky solutions which are less labour-intensive.

for india and china you could let them spawn and 5 or so turns later give their cities to independents

The problem with most of these methods:
If they spawn before removal (or without units), they can still flip troops and cities, which yes, you can replace, but they will still lose production etc....
At the same time, they will hold the potential to respawn.

That I why I think the best solution would probably to have them spawn after you are done. In my case, if they spawn in 2040, I will never be playing. There may be problems if their spawn is set to later. I honestly have only a VERY basic idea of how this works, but it seems like the simplest method, in the long run.

Not that I will ever do this.....

Top Bottom