1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Discipline in Authority - Flavor

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by MIS, Apr 6, 2020.

1. MIS

MIS Prince

Noobe to VP, loving it. I've played 5 games, all Authority. Discipline policy gives happiness/culture bonus to garrisons. I feel like it's discouraging aggressive war (keep military units behind at home, not at the front). I have no problem from a balance point of view, but flavor wise it seems a bit off, more like a progress turtle policy. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    M

2. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Emperor

Honor gives you supply free units so you can use those to garrison to get the bonuses while your main army goes out and conquer your foes.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  3. MIS

MIS Prince

Flavor wise, aren't the extra units to attack with?

4. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Emperor

First, you don't get that many units from Honor to begin with. Secondly, you usually have better options than what you get from the policy. Therefore, you usually don't wait for this policy to build your military for you. These units are also supply free so they allow you to build up to your military without being hindered as much. You can attack with these units but your army should be massive enough that these extra units shouldn't make a major difference in your wars.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  5. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

Since the conscripts supply-free, it's worth keeping them as garrisons for the bonus, while your main army is the bulk of your attack force. By main army I mean those that have been with you for a long time hence probably more experienced, was created by the city where you built your Military Epic and has the extra combat bonus from it, etc. It's ofc just an option, it's entirely up to you how you use them.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  6. Drakle

Drakle King

They don't need to be from the Heroic Epic city, since Authority also gives that bonus to all units.

7. Bromar1

Bromar1 King

Aren't they 2 different promotions?

cammcken likes this.
  8. mikes61293

mikes61293 Warlord

Looking at it thematically, think of it as displaying your troops for your citizens to see when they're not at war. It's part of your martial culture.

Then the troops from the honor policy are like honor guard. They're ceremonial that you have in your cities, think the queens guard or the praetorian guard.

JamesNinelives and Bromar1 like this.
  9. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

Those are separate promotions.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  10. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

I thought of it as rewarding you for having lots of units (at least 1 per city) when you're not at war :). And giving you an option to help manage unhappiness after you've conquered some cities. That said I don't have much experience with Authority!

11. andersw

andersw Emperor

You have "free" units at home for defense against barb camps, backstabs, massive empire unhappiness barb spawns.
    It also increases your overall army making you look less like a free pick to other AIs.
    You keep the least experienced units as garrissons.

12. Drakle

Drakle King

One thing I wish garrison forces would do is slowly rise in EXP to the level of what newly created units would get in that city. Like, say an EXP point a turn. For me at least, the hitting population 10 with most non-capital cities started happening after I built barracks in most but not all cities, but before armouries and purchasing orders. So most of them are never worth moving, and it is just best to build a new unit/purchase with faith. Sometimes even purchase with gold, as half of Barracks+Armoury+Order is better than the supply unit spawned when there was maybe only a barracks.

13. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

The free units that spawn don't count against your unit cap unless you upgrade them (the promotion doesn't stay on upgrade). So ideally you park those free unit cap units in cities and leave them there without ever upgrading them so that they stay free. Them having low experience doesn't really matter in that case when they are also eras behind your main army- they are mostly just for decoration and to trigger Discipline.

JamesNinelives and vyyt like this.