Discovering El Dorado (500g) in 3925 B.C.!?!?

TM Moot

King
In my current game, I founded Paris and moved my warrior south to explore. On the third turn he stumbled across El Dorado...:cool:

Not only does it instantly give 500:c5gold:, it also gives 5:c5culture: when worked, so that was Orleans location sorted as it fitted with my :c5culture: grab strategy!!

My query is what would you do with the 500:c5gold: bonus (in 3925 B.C.)?

1. Cash buy a settler as soon as Paris reaches pop of 2?
  2. Cash buy a warrior or two for instant rush?
  3. Cash gift to a CS for instant food/culture (both of which were nearby)
  4. Buy some tiles to claim resources?
  5. Start a new game as its an unfair advantage?

go #1

Not a difficult decision at all. Settler.

If this was an MP game, after you buy the Settler you could put a quick "I'mma pwn some n00bz with Skill Dorado" in the chat box for good measure.

I agree. The settler, unless you intend to go for a cultural victory and don't want more than one city, in which case I'd consider rushing a worker I think.

#1 yeah.
The sooner you get the 2nd city to start growing the sooner you get more resources to build as many workers/warriors you want. It's unlikely a warrior would be very useful at this point other than to defend your settler.

If this was an MP game, after you buy the Settler you could put a quick "I'mma pwn some n00bz with Skill Dorado" in the chat box for good measure.

No use, since a requirement for "pwn"age is that the game finishes, which MP games regularly do not.

In my current game, I founded Paris and moved my warrior south to explore. On the third turn he stumbled across El Dorado...:cool:

Not only does it instantly give 500:c5gold:, it also gives 5:c5culture: when worked, so that was Orleans location sorted as it fitted with my :c5culture: grab strategy!!

There are already a ton of posts about this. The end result is about 90% of the people believe this NW is completely unbalanced (especially in multiplayer) and likely it will be patched.

With that said, in a multiplayer game on quick, $500= roughly a settler and a worker ($540), so that is the normal route to take with the cash. It puts you so far ahead though that you likely will win the game.

1# is the way to go, just imagine that if AI can cheat so much then why can't I. :p

#1 is the way to go

It'd be a lot less overpowered if it was guaranteed to start on a different landmass than any player starts on (and on one that can't be visible from where a player starts). Then at least you'd know you're not finding it on turn 3, as above.

And I have to say - in all fairness for those who criticize this or other NWs: The implementation of NW into the main game is like a chef tossing a bunch of grapes into an Irish stew, because "he had them lying around anyway and they looked tasty". But... they just don't belong.

I recently got this in an industrial age start

Industrial age start:

Each city begins size 3 with many pre-existing buildings already in it.

You start with:
3 settlers
2 workers
5 riflemen
5 policies (industrial era policies!)

El dorado was a huge advantage. Workers only cost 90 gold in industrial start. I spent the next 3 turns buying a worker every turn in every city. As you may imagine, I got a huge advantage (faster railroads, faster farms, etc) over every opponent using 3.6 workers per city.

I ended up winning a turn Q51 tech victory.

There are already a ton of posts about this. The end result is about 90% of the people believe this NW is completely unbalanced (especially in multiplayer) and likely it will be patched.

With that said, in a multiplayer game on quick, $500= roughly a settler and a worker ($540), so that is the normal route to take with the cash. It puts you so far ahead though that you likely will win the game.

Is real world balanced?

Solely, for the sake of discussion, assume a new victory condition, be the first one to find the McGuffin and win the game.

I would not consider this a fun addition to a game of Civilization.

Solely, for the sake of discussion, assume a new random event, earth hit by giant asteroid, game over dude.

I would not consider this a fun addition to a game of Civilization.

I think that most people have a limit on how big the effect should be from finding a Natural Wonder, random event, etc.
People would differ as to what the biggest effect should be so that the game would still be fun for them.
Some people would prefer no Natural Wonders, random events, etc.

Good game design has some limit on the effect of a single random occurrences.

Is real world balanced?

It'd be a lot less overpowered if it was guaranteed to start on a different landmass than any player starts on (and on one that can't be visible from where a player starts). Then at least you'd know you're not finding it on turn 3, as above.

Yeah, they should just make it like Krakatoa. Always out in the middle of the ocean. Usually out of reach, usually found with caravel or greater. Did they mean to have Krakatoa 90% of the time unworkable?

Top Bottom