Discovering El Dorado (500g) in 3925 B.C.!?!?

Drop a city next to it and work the tile with its second citizen for 5 culture. Its basically a free city that comes with a monument and temple.

Yeah, they should just make it like Krakatoa. Always out in the middle of the ocean

Agree 100%.

Agree 100%.

Well since someone agrees (sorry OP, they say build settler)... since it's a fictional wonder...

they could make it spawn on a pretty, seven-tile, circular land mass in the middle of the ocean. El dorado in the middle of the seven tiles and the chance of having random sea and land resources spawn in the outer ring so if anyone wants to work El Dorado they can. It's a nonsense wonder anyway, so might as well make it on a nonsense, seven tile land mass in the middle of the ocean.

500 gold is still powerful after astronomy but a lot less so than two starting cities.

Again?
El Dorado is really too powerful?

How about any of these...
1) You're Germany & hit the first Barbs Camp - plouck 50% chance a brand new Brute joins your side.
2) You've got Ruins on - plouck, your freely roaming scout magically turns into a Swordsman & so does the next - repeat and rince.
3) You either play on Chieftain or Emperor difficulty levels & vice-versa, knowing very well how handicaps can tilt the balance in somebody's favor by ruleset design.
4) You go for a pure ICS grid instead of anything else since you believe the perfect strategy is *A* choice rather than a lucky draw.
5) You allow Policy savings and while you're at it, puppet yourself away into immediate domination at whatever the cost.

Should i continue?
Take it as you wish, but this game is and always has been a formal Simulation of highly variable events. Gameplay must be fun or else, you're caught up in the inevitable boredom of turn lags which happens anyway!
The challenges are a mirror reflection, btw... cuz, you're also competing with AIs that can *also* wrap up their lucky start locations.

Should Uranium be pulled out from everyone's grasp but yours too? Since, yo'don't'wanna suffer through a party of exclusive Nukes or GRDs from algorithmic decisions.

Gimme El Dorado and then some.

I never played as Germany do that still pay for maintenance for converted units? Do converted barbs have a promo chain?
My scouts follow the archer line of promotions.

As for a fictional NW...of course it is powerful. Magic is the ultimate science.

Drop a city next to it and work the tile with its second citizen for 5 culture. Its basically a free city that comes with a monument and temple.

That's where I placed Orleans, with my cash bought settler.;)

Again?

When I first discovered it I thought, 'Wow, this will be game breaking'.

But on reflection, whilst it is certainly a very nice bonus, is it any better then discovering Bronze Working or an expensive tech :) from a ruin, rather then popping a map of some ocean :( ?? Being France, I could Adopt Liberty very early, so a settler would of only taken 12 turns to build?

The way I see it, random events/ruins etc.. are all part of the game. Take out all variables, and its a pretty dull procession.

Also, whilst I enjoy the historical aspect of Civ (its what has kept me hooked since the original Civ), i have always had the view that it is only a GAME, and if its in the game then its a part of the game. (GAMEPLAY > REALISM)

Again?

1) You're Germany & hit the first Barbs Camp - plouck 50% chance a brand new Brute joins your side.
2) You've got Ruins on - plouck, your freely roaming scout magically turns into a Swordsman & so does the next - repeat and rince.
3) You either play on Chieftain or Emperor difficulty levels & vice-versa, knowing very well how handicaps can tilt the balance in somebody's favor by ruleset design.
4) You go for a pure ICS grid instead of anything else since you believe the perfect strategy is *A* choice rather than a lucky draw.
5) You allow Policy savings and while you're at it, puppet yourself away into immediate domination at whatever the cost.

Should i continue?
Take it as you wish, but this game is and always has been a formal Simulation of highly variable events. Gameplay must be fun or else, you're caught up in the inevitable boredom of turn lags which happens anyway!
The challenges are a mirror reflection, btw... cuz, you're also competing with AIs that can *also* wrap up their lucky start locations.

Should Uranium be pulled out from everyone's grasp but yours too? Since, yo'don't'wanna suffer through a party of exclusive Nukes or GRDs from algorithmic decisions.

1. Its not enough to find it, you also have to take it down which is nearly impossible with a warrior since the barb is fortified and spams some of his ugly friends every 10 turns. Even then i would not compare a 50% chance for a second warrior to 500 gold ;).

2. Scouts turn into bowmen. Warriors turn into spearmen... Its not possible to get promoted into swordsmen. If it would it would get -50% becoz u have no iron.

The point is just that 500 gold that early are much more game breaking than all other events that can possibly happen. Btw as the spanish i lately had the pleasure to explore and work great barrier reef very early. That was 1000 gold for discovering and two tiles with 2 food, 2 hammer, 4 gold and 4 science.

if you are Germany with a bunch of barb camps you chose to trade your uniques and civ ability for the shot at an extremely early warrior or sword rush that has a good chance of failing.

Ruins work because usually everyone gets something decent out of them. Maybe I get a pop point and a tech and you get some culture and a map with a NW on it. My ruin haul was better but not 500 gold better.

Again?

Should i continue?

Yeah, its funny that you compare it to Germany's 50% chance to convert a warrior, since El Dorado can fund 3.5 straight warrior purchases.

This isn't a matter of balance, it's a matter of placement.

Like lots of other things in this game, it was just badly implemented: the Eldorado, OBVIOUSLY, should spawn only in uninhabited islands.

I would remake at once.... Early Eldorado means game ruined.

I think that silver mine NW with 10gold per turn is more powerful long term then El Dorado anyway and that one IS real world.

Funny thing is that that silver mine (Cerro de Potosi) is on the same continent as El Dorado, originally claimed by a CS, which just happens to be a puppet of mine!! :cool:

meh its just a game.

I think that silver mine NW with 10gold per turn is more powerful long term then El Dorado anyway and that one IS real world.

No it isn't. It's very simple to quickly develop your tiles to become a powerhouse in gold per turn. Gold per turn isn't a problem in this game at all.

But a massive amount of gold early on, at once? That gives you too much advantage for the units that you wasn't suposed to buy right away cos you wasn't suposed to have that kind of money so early. It ruins balance.

El Dorahoax. Hate that thing. Good that you can remove the line from the XML files where it states the 500 gold... that way you can have a balanced multiplayer match.

Does the gold amount scale by game pace? If not, the 500 gold might not be sufficient for a settler on Marathon pace.

Top Bottom