1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Discovering ruins but no reward

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by crazymarco, Jan 21, 2013.

1. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

Not sure it is bug or fact.

Sometimes I discover ruins but without rewards. I think that happened once I got my warrior discovered one ruin first, and it gain advanced equiped (upgrade to spearman). And then if it so lucky that discover another ruins, maybe the ruins gives advanced equipment also so the spearmen won't upgrade?

2. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

You should always get a message informing you what was in the ruins. But indeed sometimes there is no pratical reward. You could discover the locations of nearby barbarian camps when there are none. Or you can reveal some parts of the map when you already have discovered the entire area.

3. Irkalla

Irkalla ENTP POWWWEEEEEER

I've had this happen. It usually happens when your other scout meets a city state or another empire meets you or something. It's like the notification gets eaten or something.

4. beestar

beestar subdeity

This could be the notification bug (the same one that can force you to auto-annex captured cities). e.g. you received 60 gold but there was no pop-up informing you of this, so it's easy to miss.

Next time this happens, try pressing F6 to go into the science screen, then using your mouse, click "CLOSE" at the bottom left corner of the screen. Do not press Esc to close the science screen! Often this 'unblocks' the notification system and you'll catch up on all the pop-ups that failed to appear earlier.

5. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

When the notification is disabled in the options, sometimes there will be no information text when you enter a ruin. There is a reward, but you don't know which it was... probably culture, faith or maybe gold? Didn't figure it out exactly since because of this I have the reward popups enabled.

6. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

Maps from ruins often give little to no information if the area around the ruin has been scouted. Occasionally a map found in a coastal ruin will just reveal a ton of empty water (why would anyone make a "map" of that?). Something I find amusing is when a ruins map reveals the location of a civilization I haven't met yet. How does a map from before the dawn of history tell me where a contemporary civilization has built their cities? I'm not saying its aliens, but...

7. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

Thanks all! So there may have 3 reason.

1) Notification Bug
    2) Like Biologist said, maybe given a map that you already scouted
    3) IMP, upgraded spearman or archer cannot upgrade once

8. mintcandy

mintcandy King

I could be wrong, but once a unit has received an upgrade from a Ruins, that same unit can never, ever be upgraded from a Ruins again. This has been the case since launch, I reckon.

9. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

not since launch, but from the first patch IIRC. Used to be able to get x-bow in the first 30-40 turns with lucky ruins. A warrior could have become what, I dont remember the old upgrade lines - but something game-breaking.

10. Biologist

Biologist Researcher

I think someone set the "new random seed" option and then restarted their game over and over while walking a warrior into ruins. They eventually got a mech infantry while still in the Ancient/Classical era. Subsequently they were able to conquer the world with one unit.

11. crazymarco

crazymarco Chieftain

I remember that could be happened in CIV4:lol:

12. Sidor1982

Sidor1982 Warlord

When You have the notifications disabled You won't get the information about culture or faith gotten from ruins. You still get the bonus, but no notification. It happens with only these two items.