1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussing Politics With Family.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aleenik, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Hi guys. I haven't posted in here in a while. I still come to Civfanatics, but mostly the Civ 5 section. Anyways, what do you guys think about discussing politics with family? It often leads to arguments in my case. How can you avoid them? Any tips?

I hate how like every time politics is brought up there is an argument where people start yelling at each other and stuff. I was just watching the Green Zone movie with my dad and he started talking about the Iraq war, because the movie takes place in it. So I ended up saying I'm against the war, and there's a reason that most of the country is also. Also, there where no weapons of mass destruction, so we were lied to about that. He is a Fox News far right guy though. (If you remember me a while ago, I used to watch/read Fox News a lot, but now I use CNN mostly.) He thinks there where weapons of mass destruction, but they moved them out of the country to Syria. I told him the UN did weapon inspections not long before the war started and that the war was not authorized by the UN. He seems to think the war was authorized by the UN though. He ended up getting really mad at me and saying quote "I'm dumber than a box of rocks if I think there weren't weapons of mass destruction in Iraq."

What can I do to show my dad my point of view, in a way that won't get everyone arguing and yelling at each other? For future reference the next time politics is brought up.

2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Step 1. Find computer.
    Step 2. Go onto CNN.
    Step 3. Get an article that supports your opinion.
    Step 4. Challenge him to find another article that supports his. When he finds none, drop the subject and gloat internaly.

3. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Never have a point of political view, except for referring vaguely and disparagingly to all points of political view.

4. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

I've tried to show him stuff sometimes, but a lot of the time he doesn't want to listen.

5. Thoughtful Thug

Thoughtful Thug Deity

Not that I am siding with your dad, but both of you guys are wrong. There is no proof if weapon of mass destruction was moved out of the country or inside some random guy's basement for all I care! We don't even have material evidence if weapon of mass destruction was a fabrication of intelligence made by somebody in the CIA or even by Cheney, Bush, or the easter bunny.

6. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

While they could have possibly been moved out, the fact stands that we didn't find any. Anyways the point of my post wasn't to say I'm right just to describe the situation of what happened and ask advice on how to prevent argument.

7. madviking

madviking north american scum

I don't know about your case, but me and my dad can discuss history for hours on end. Discussing history is a much more worthwhile topic.

8. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Problem solved.

9. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Interesting advice.

10. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand Deity

I sympathise with your predicament as I had the same problem. I have always been interested in politics and, growing up in a working-class neighbourhood in England, my pro-capitalist views got me in massive trouble not only with my family, but my friends, casual acquintances and even my school.

So yeah... my advice to you is just to chill out, not worry about trying to convince other people of your views, and just try to be comfortable with your own opinion. It's no big deal if you and your Dad have different political opinions, just concede gracefully that not everyone is going to agree with you ;)

11. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

I love discussing politics with my family since I always win the debates.

Just be better at debating than they are, and you'll be fine.

12. dwaxe

dwaxe is not a fanatic

Write down your arguments and force your father to write down his own. This weeds out pretty much all of the inadvertent and glaringly idiotic statements that waste away a large portion of verbal arguments.

13. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

mmm, arguing with family about politics can be quite intense, in my experience. It's the main reason i no longer like my grandparents, they take the word of the Daily Mail as frikkin gospel.

14. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

This.

15. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Here's what I do: Every time someone starts to talk about politics, I get my cock out. It really helps move the conversation forward.

16. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I've found bringing out my emu works much better.

17. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Think of it as a game where whoever raises his voice first loses.

18. Arwon

Arwon

My parents are both swing voters, dad is politically aware, mum is pretty apathetic. Sister used to be more leftie than I am then joined the Navy... so now votes based on who she thinks will give them more money. Discussion is always civil.

I will be trying to get them all to vote Green in 3 weeks - the ACT Senate race is close and 2000 more votes is all we need.

19. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I usually just nod. "Ahem... yes... good point... I agree... and also [something which supports his arguments and that he probably heard it all before]"

20. west india man

west india man Immortal

I never really discuss politics that much, due to everyone in my family (including me) supporting the Green Party. I call my oppressive mom Mussolini though.