Discussion: A new newspaper for Fanatica?

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
After a little bit of discussion for someone to summarize recent events for posting on CFC's homepage, Some have come to the conclusion that we should have a Fanatican newspaper.

A few basic questions need to be answered.
  • Name of newspaper
  • New newspaper thread, or new seperate documents
  • Content of paper

what I mean by the second one is, do we create a completely new document for each paper (ex. with Word), or a new thread that contains the paper.

Suggestions for the name:
The Fanatical (The Chronicle)
Fanatic Gazette
The Reneaux Times
Our Bloody Newspaper (original, ain't it..)
The United Daily Bulletin

As for content...
Screenshots
Election results
Diplomacy details
Conquest records
Scientific advance records
Treasury count?
The year, of course

Not all of these things would need to be posted on CFC's front page...

Perhaps people can contribute to the 'editor' via email or PM before an agreed deadline. The editor can cut and paste it together and post it in the newspaper thread - not forgeting to give credit to the contributers. I think if it's all in one (sticky?) thread, newcomers can easily come up to speed without reading months worth of threads.

It would be good for the 'editor' to have (and use!) a spell checking tool before releasing articles. Let's look good. :D

The Fanatical sounds like Fanatica, so I like it.

Why not a particular thread for the finished newspaper articles, and discussion and drafts in the turn thread? One place to look for all of the finished news, and one (changing) place to look for drafts and current ideas. Spell checker - yes! Html, not Word.

I think Leowind's discovery of other life on our planet is newsworthy!

NUF Today is a good name I think. Or the classic NUF Times or RC (Regia Civatis) Times as in NY Times. How about something completley unrelated though? I dunno, The Buffalo, or something...

Also I think that the editor should be someone not connected with the government, so he can critisise!! (and, maybe, praise, once in a blue moon)

Content? What content? :D

I though they were dressed in bearskins? :lol:

Lets not make the newspaper too complicted or it won't continue (had some troubles with that sort of thing in the earlier game IIRC). Choose/elect an editor, and let him/her run it, with a sticky thread for all the issues. If you have an idea for an article, PM the editor and work it out. Or the editor can request articles from folks. I don't really want the turn threads mucked up with discussions about newspaper articles I'll read later anyway.

I like the idea of "letters to the editor", but would suggest that these are only allowed within a couple of days of the article in question first appearing. We don't want people commenting on things that happened several issues ago and making a mess of the thread. Now since there is no way of enforcing this, with or without mod powers, then we will have to monitor ourselves to keep the thread intelligible. Maybe you can post letters until the appearance of a new issue, and we can have these issues once a week, so covering two "turns" of play (well, President turns, not Civ ones - that would make for a boring newspaper). Whoever organises the content of this paper will have to accept content either by PM or e-mail and sort out what goes in before posting - I think Thursday would be the best date for this if we're playing turns on Tuesdays and Saturdays for this term. I suppose a spot of light reading would be too much work. We could have a monthly jokes and cartoons page or something, rather than having one every week. If anyone else around the world apart from the Brits did cryptic crosswords then I'd be tempted to submit a couple from my back catalogue, but I don't think it's worth it. We can definitely make this work though! :D

Do we really need crosswords though? I don't. I feel that the newspaper should just cover the main events and a few trivial ones but there is no need to turn it into a real newspaper as there are only 30 of us at most.

Top Bottom