[NFP] [discussion] Major flaws of Civ VI - part 1: City combat strength and defense

Hey do we know if walls got nerfed in the April patch? Now with the trebuchets, I would imagine that catapults could do well against ancient walls, trebuchets to medieval walls, and then bombards to Renaissance walls...cause it would make no sense if we have 3 siege units but then would have to wait for artillery to bust renaissance walls...

Hey do we know if walls got nerfed in the April patch? Now with the trebuchets, I would imagine that catapults could do well against ancient walls, trebuchets to medieval walls, and then bombards to Renaissance walls...cause it would make no sense if we have 3 siege units but then would have to wait for artillery to bust renaissance walls...
I haven't heard of any changes to walls in the patch, but there may have been stealth changes, although I doubt it?

As for performance, expect catapults to perform decently against ancient walls (but suffer against ancient walls + archer), trebuchet to perform decently against medieval walls (but again suffer against medieval walls + crosbowman), whereas bombards will probably continue to perform poorly against renaissance walls, although I don't recall if there was a bump to bombard strength which may help them?

Getting them to the 2nd promotion (increased damage against district defenses) will help them greatly, but bombards will probably still need to show up as corps or even armies to do any significant impact against renaissance walls, at least against a technologically advanced opponent.

Remember, all siege units got a small buff to their melee strength to help make them more durable as well.

I haven't heard of any changes to walls in the patch, but there may have been stealth changes, although I doubt it?

As for performance, expect catapults to perform decently against ancient walls (but suffer against ancient walls + archer), trebuchet to perform decently against medieval walls (but again suffer against medieval walls + crosbowman), whereas bombards will probably continue to perform poorly against renaissance walls, although I don't recall if there was a bump to bombard strength which may help them?

Getting them to the 2nd promotion (increased damage against district defenses) will help them greatly, but bombards will probably still need to show up as corps or even armies to do any significant impact against renaissance walls, at least against a technologically advanced opponent.

Might wanna try the "stupidwalls" mod if you're as fed up with GS walls as I am.
It reduces them down to vanilla levels (50%), and even then, walls are still plenty powerful on their own.

Taeflin, What is the mod you have to add the +25 to CS and what is the ARS mod? I may add both after tomorrow.

ARS improved movement increases movement of land units by 1 and naval units by 2, and also separates melee/recon, range/siege, mounted and allows one of each in any tile, so you get 3UPT. I think the author is working on an update after yesterday’s patch that will reduce flanking/support and Gaul bonus to 1 point to account for the extra units.

For modifying city strength I use Radiant Stronger Cities. Most of the ideas discussed here can be implemented there. You can add the AI bonus against cities, you can change the wall HP and city HP separately, if you prefer keeping cities like of comparable strength but would prefer that walls had a smaller impact. You can also play around with the range strike, but that takes some trial and error if I recall.

It...it just makes no sense! Why do we have THREE siege units but only TWO pre-steel breakable walls?! Renaissance walls are such a menace and curb your campaigns so insanely effectively when they come into play...and you can't do anything. With a field cannon inside all your bombards are still going to be shredded before even a couple of their tiny chips into the walls...

Was this maybe just a way to prioritize aircraft/aerodromes? But even then, bombers are waaaay to late to go up against renaissance walls and by that time you got modern defenses...I just don't understand how they got mid-game combat so wrong. Don't you remember the day in the 1400s when the Ottoman Turks took 100 turns to blast through the Theodosian walls?

Top Bottom