1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion: Next cities

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by FortyJ, Apr 15, 2003.

1. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

While recent discussion has focused on maximizing our commerce and warrior production at the expense of recruiting settlers, there will come a time, rather soon, I imagine, in which we will undergo a rapid growth of cities, thanks in no small part to Shen Ling's growth rate and productive capacity.

As such, we should resume discussion on where to establish these cities and what we should name them.

I have compiled a graphic which I believe includes some of the better potential sites for our next several cities. I admit fully that some of the selections are not 100% perfect, but I think that the close proximity of our cities (especially considering the mountainous terrain nearby) will be to our benefit.

Code:
    [b][u]Site[/b][/u]	[b][u]Water[/b][/u]	[b][u]Resources[/b][/u]
      1	  N	Gold, Fish
      2	  Y	Game, Incense
      3	  Y	Game, Incense
      4	  Y	
      5	  N	
      6	  N	Whale (2)
      7	  N	Furs
    I've numbered the sites in the general order that I believe we should settle the cities. However, this order, as well as the actual locations are, of course, subject to change in accordance with the will of the people.

I do, however, encourage everyone to strongly consider site 1 as our first city location for the following reasons: 1) it will serve as the gateway to the east and a base of operations from which our worker can continue building the road to the east; 2) it will be built on top of the gold in the hills which will generate bonus commerce (aka, bonus research) without the need to use one of our valuable laborers on that tile.

2. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

Site one seems to be the best option. Good work, 40.

3. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

You know, if there is no one there and we patrol the chokepoint, we can grab all of those really good cities.
    Also, that Gamecathcer warrior is too close for comfort.

4. Killer A's

Killer A's Citizen of MSDG

I like site 1 too. With the next choices being 3 or 6.

5. croxis

croxis Chat room op

ditto

6. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

I like site one, but can we move site two one tile North? That would work better in my mind, I dont want to stiffle Shen to much.

Also, 40J have you talked to EK about what that warrior is up too?

7. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Moving site 2 one tile north would crowd site 6 too much. Of course, site 6 isn't critical, but it would be a shame not to take advantage of that peninsula, especially since there would be two nice whales within that city's radius.

As far as your other question, Goonie, I suggest we continue that discussion in the Ambassadorial chambers instead of threadjacking this discussion. ;)

8. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

I think size 7 would be the best for now, then siz 1 & 3. Because of corruption it will be hard to do much now in the far sites like 1 and 6. Site 7 sound like the best for more settler production.

9. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Some valid points amirsan, but I think site 1 is still the best site for our next city.
    1. We need to expand to the east before Gamecatcher realizes that we are >10 tiles away from their lands and opt to settle it themselves.
    2. We need to maximize our commerce as much as possible to maximize our research as we will be unlikely able to purchase important techs from our rivals. Building on the gold hill will generate bonus commerce in that city without the need to use a laborer to work the hills.
    3. There is no risk of someone else settling site 7 in the near future.
    4. We need cities towards the east if we are going to get serious about confronting the Gamecatcher Alliance any time soon.
    5. We will be discovering iron soon and iron will likely be found to the east, not to the west.
    One more point.... I am merely defending my proposal. I do not wish to imply that it is the only best option available to us. I sincerely hope that this thread sparks greater discussion on this issue, so that we can, eventually, come up with the best possible locations for our next cities as well as the order in which we should establish them.

10. croxis

croxis Chat room op

I agree that we must head east, but also we need to look north as well, the other choke point will need ot be guarded if we are waterlocked to the north

11. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

That's an excellent point too. Perhaps after we establish 2 or 3 more cities nearby to build up our mfg base, then we could send a lone settler to occupy the northern land bridge. Of course, we can always defend it with military units too.

12. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

The order and placement you've presented is excellent, Forty. I only have a small request - for the sake of my poor ISP, please stay away from animated gifs. :)

13. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

poor ISP... :(

I'll try, but they're so hard to resist. ;)

14. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I say site 1 since I was pushing for it long ago.

15. Killer A's

The only downfall of site 1 is that we may be settling on the iron and thus lose it.

16. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Site 1 should be the first choice for the moment, at least until we reveal the location of iron. If we're lucky, we'll either have it nearby Zhi Gang or near the gold hill. Otherwise, we're going to have a tough decision to make between building the city on the gold or near the iron.

17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Site 1 does not ave iron, it has gold which won't go away. If you remember the chat I ran some tests and found that commerce does go right into the city, so we wouldn't have to use laborers to get the commerc (which would wrech food production).

18. Killer A's

After reading Hygro's post I realize my error. Iron and gold can't be on the same tile. Site 1 is still the best site by far.

19. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

Yes, I also agree to site one.

20. naervod

naervod My current user title

Site 1 is easily the best site. I say go for it.