1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion: Units

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fictionalization IV' started by cfkane, Jun 15, 2009.

1. cfkane

cfkane Chieftain

This thread will discuss units added to the game.

Fictionalization IV will add a slew of new units to the game, which come in several different aspects.

The units from NextWar are included. Featured in the game are Hero units that can be built like Wonders. Each civilization will also receive a unique Legendary Unit based on an archetype from that nation's culture, and a Superhero - a powerful late-game Hero unit. Each religion will have a special unit as well. Special wonders - "Alliances" - create a pact between your civ and one of several non-human races in the world, granting access to other special units. Barbarian units will also be added, some of the stronger ones granting bonuses to those who slay them.

Spoiler :
    Civs

AMERICA
    LU: Gunslinger
    Superhero: Superman*

ARABIA
    LU: Carpet Rider
    Superhero: Jabbar*

ATLANTIS
    UU: Polyreme
    LU: Mersoldier
    Superhero: Namor*

AZTEC
    LU: Ahuizotl
    Superhero: Quetzalcoatl*

CELTIA
    LU: Fianna
    Superhero: X-O Manowar*

CHINA
    LU: Loong Dragon
    Superhero: Li Xiaolong*

EGYPT
    LU: Anubite
    Superhero: Teth Adam*

ENGLAND
    LU: Knight of the Round Table
    Superhero: Marvelman*

FREEDO-MORONIKA
    UU: Marxist
    LU: Doombot
    Superhero: Doomsman II*

FRANCE
    LU: Conquérant des Nuages
    Superhero: ?

GERMANY
    LU: Übersoldat
    Superhero: Heinrich I

GREECE
    LU: Centaur
    Superhero: Kratos

HYBOREA
    UU: Cimmerian Warrior
    LU: Black Dragon
    Superhero: Red Sonja

INCA
    LU: Supay
    Superhero: Ajak*

INDIA
    LU: Pandava
    Superhero: Shaktiman*

JAPAN
    LU: Mecha
    Superhero: Goku*

MALI
    LU: Loa
    Superhero: Tarzan*

NATIVE AMERICA
    LU: Thunderbird
    Superhero: Apache Chief*

PERSIA
    LU: Simurgh*

ROME
    LU: Gladiator*
    Superhero: Ultima*

RUSSIA
    LU: SMERSH Agent*
    Superhero: Omega Red*

SHAMBHALA
    UU: Dob Dob
    LU: Bodhisatva

SPAIN
    LU: Campeador

SUMERIA
    LU: Harimtu
    Superhero: Gozer*

TRANSYLVANIA
    UU: Nosferatu
    LU: Frankenstein
    Superhero: The Master*

UTOPIA
    UU: Politis
    LU: Syphograntus
    Superhero: Samaritan

VIKINGS
    LU: Valkyrie
    Superhero: Thor*

ZULU
    LU: Inkanyamba
    Superhero: Storm*

Religions

JUDAISM
    Golem

CHRISTIANITY
    Knight Templar

ISLAM
    Djinn

HINDUISM
    Vimana

BUDDHISM
    Shaolin Monk

TAOISM
    Xian

CONFUCIANISM
    Junzi

YUGGOTH
    Shoggoth

WITCH
    Broom Rider

MARTIAN
    Grokker

Heroes
    Achilles
    Allan Quartermain
    Anansi
    Benkei
    Cu Chullainn
    D'Artangnan
    Don Quixote
    Enkidu
    Fu Manchu
    G8
    Heracles
    Horatio Hornblower
    Ilya Muromets
    Jack Bauer*
    James Bond
    John Henry
    Merlin
    Miles Gloriosus
    Natty Bumppo
    Odysseus
    Popocatepetl
    Robin Hood*
    Roland
    Sherlock Holmes
    Siegfried
    Sindbad
    Son Wukong
    The Nautilus
    The Time Traveller
    Utnapishtim

Alliance Units
    Amazon
    Barsoomian
    Brobingnagian
    Cyclops
    Dwarves
    Houyhnhms
    Lilliputian
    Thanagarian
    Toy Soldier
    Tralfamadorian

Barbarians
    more to come

Other
    more to come

*not yet implemented

2. catwhowalksbyhi

catwhowalksbyhi Chieftain

Along the line of your pacts idea, there should be two mutually exclusive choices that give access to one of two unit. One is a Sentinel Squad that replaces modern tanks with perhaps a bonus against infantry, the other is a squad of mutant soldiers with access to several unique promotions representing superpowers. Perhaps they are unlocked by a single Mutation-related tech which then requires you to choose one or the other. Obviously, this is based on Marvel Comics and the X-men.

3. johnny139

johnny139 Chieftain

Have you considered adopting the Inquisitor I've seen in some Mods? I think it could come in handy, PARTICULARLY with the increased amount of Religions.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, have you considered cutting out one of the core Religions? I mean, ten works fine, but trimming it to eight or nine might help clean things up a bit.

4. cfkane

cfkane Chieftain

Just an update...

I've added a new superhero unit to the mod. At the moment it's a generic national unit, but in future updates it will be expanded so every civ will have a unique Super-unit. And a big thanks to The Coyote for help with the team color model.

5. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

6. cfkane

cfkane Chieftain

Thanks for the model!

Although it may be a while till I implement it. I still have to A) finalize all of the LUs and B) figure out what they'll all do before I start the hunt for artwork. Plus, it's going to be awhile before I can update the game, since I'm on vacation and away from my workspace right now.

7. Dibukk

Dibukk Chieftain

You've already got several alliances inspired by Gulliver's Travel. How about Gulliver as a maritime hero that can be used to explore the sea and can be sacrificed in order to found an alliance?

Some ideas for the LUs' abilities:

Gunslinger: combat unit with Pinch promotion and hidden nationality
    Mersoldier: Amphibious promotion, can travel over land and sea
    Doombot: combat unit that increases happiness when deployed in a city
    Conquérant des Nuages: early, invisible flying unit that can explore rival territory
    Centaur: fast and strong cavallery unit with Blitz promotion
    Pandava: powerful, early combat unit with a total maximum of 5
    Loa: invisible explorer, ignores movement costs, can spread any religion by sacrifice
    Thunderbird: works like an antique bomber
    Gladiator: if he is in a city with a Colosseum you can sacrifice other units to give the Gladiator XP
    SMERSH Agent: anti-spy unit, invisible to other spies, can see invisible units
    Bodhisatva: can be sacrificed to increase culture, happiness and health
    Campeador: can join a unit and give XP to it like a Great General
    Nosferatu: Leadership, heals fully after killing another unit
    Valkyrie: Resurrection, if another unit on the same tile would die, the Valkyrie dies instead

8. cfkane

cfkane Chieftain

All good ideas, but Nosferatu is already Transylvania's UU, it replaces the explorer.

And I've been thinking about your older recommendation of the Dragenflieger as a German LU. The main reason I'm hesitant about that is because France's LU was already a steampunk flying machine, and having a second one might be a bit redundant.

Although this could be solved by changing France's LU. I've been thinking about a unit called the Amorican Gaul, an ancient melee unit with strong defensive capabilities (thanks to a specially brewed serum created by the chief druid)

9. Dibukk

Dibukk Chieftain

I like the idea, but, honestly, I think it's rather strange to give Gauls to France while there is a Celtic civ. I've got some ideas for LUs for Germany and France:

FRANCE:
    *Gargoyle/Gargouille: those stone creatures on e.g. Notre Dame
    *Lutin: French version of a goblin
    *Ogre: large, hideous humanoid

GERMANY:
    *Doppelgänger: German shapeshifter
    *Heinzelmännchen: friendly, hard-working house spirits
    *Kobold or Wichtel: German version of a goblin
    *Troll: big, ugly warriors and blacksmiths
    *Übersoldier/Übersoldat: as depicted in Return to Castle Wolfenstein

On another topic, I'd suggest you change the LU of Native America or the Zulu because a Thunderbird and an Impundulu are practically the same thing. Here are some alternatives:

NATIVE AMERICA:
    *Shaman
    *Sasqach: native name for Bigfoot
    *Trickster: e.g. Coyote, Raven,...
    *Wendigo: evil, canniblistic ice dweller

ZULU:
    *Abatwa: tiny humans riding ants
    *Grootslang or Inkanyamba: both are giant snake
    *Tikoloshe: evil, dwarf-like water spirit
    *Panther Warrior: elite warrior of Wakanda

10. cfkane

cfkane Chieftain

You know, the Legendary Units could easily be in an upcoming update, maybe not the next, but the one after that certainly. Most of them have already been finalized, and as for artwork, we could use placeholders for the time being. At the moment I just need to decide on units for Inca, Transylvania and Zulu. I'm tentatively thinking about the Inkanyamba for the Zulu, and Transylvania should be easy to work with. The only one I'm completely stumped on is the Incan unit.

11. Dibukk

Dibukk Chieftain

For Transylvania, how about the creatures created by the Frankenstein familiy? For the name I suggest either Homunculus or Flesh Golem. Or how about simply giant bats?

The Incas regarded their emperors as the descendants of their supreme deity, the sun god Inti. So how about units called Son of the Sun (possibly a caster or he joins other units or he could be sacrificed to spread religion/create wonders/etc.)? Or how about Wak'as which is the Inca word for local deities? Another possibility would be the Supay or Zupay, a race of Incan demons that sometimes help the humans.

12. Dibukk

Dibukk Chieftain

Sorry for the double post, but I've had some ideas: Why not add Red Sonja as the superhero of Hyborea? Other possible superheroes would be Father Set and Kulan Gath.

Oh and by the way, the civ list at the top of the thread is a bit outdated (in the Civilizations and Leader thread X-O Manowar is included).

13. Moogi

Moogi Chieftain

I have an idea for a new Hero unit. Might I recommend Atomic Robo, from the critically acclaimed comic book series of the same name? The character is a nuclear-powered robot built by Nicola Tesla in the 1920s, who has spent the last several decades working as an 'action scientist'- in other words, a mixture of a mercenary and a scientist. I think Robo would fit well into the setting for this mod.

Speaking of Atomic Robo, I also have an idea for the German LU: a Helsingard Robot. In the comic, Baron Heinrich von Helsingard is Robo's archenemy, a German scientist who, among other things, invented tanks over thirty years before World War I, attempted to become a god using a Vril organ (which is itself a reference to the 1871 novel The Coming Race), and after the death of his body, placed his brain into a robot. The unit in question is a reference to the finale of the first volume of the comic, where Robo and his team find an army of robots built in the late 1800s hidden in a base in Italy.

Just a suggestion.

14. cfkane

cfkane Chieftain

Sounds like a really fun comic! Though I'm settling into a broader "Ubersoldat" for Germany, since the mad German scientist has shown up so much in so many sources, it might help if we all tied them together in an umbrella unit.

Helsingard could be worked in. Are there any images of the robot I could find online?

15. Dibukk

Dibukk Chieftain

Helsingrad sounds great, I'll add him right now to the German pedia!

Is the Ubersoldat going to be a human à la Nazi ideology or a robot like in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Atomic Robo?

Oh and a quick question: Is it possible to call it Übersoldat or would that be a technical problem? (Yes, I know I'm picky when it comes to German words ;) )

16. cfkane

cfkane Chieftain

That shouldn't be a problem. Umlauted U's can be incorporated into the game.

And I'd probably go with the Nazi cyborg angle.

17. Moogi

Moogi Chieftain

I can't find a picture of Helsingard himself, but I found one of his cyborgs. It's the one on the right. Robo himself is on the left.

Robo is definitely one of my favourite comic books of all time (coming just behind Star Wars Legacy and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). I think elements from the series will complement the mod's setting nicely.

18. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator

But make sure, that you use the html code for the signs, because they are not standard ASCII, so it would cause problems for the Mac users.

19. cfkane

cfkane Chieftain

I've updated the list of Legendary Units. This should be the final list, so we can start getting them programmed and installed.

I decided to keep the Conquerant du Nuages and give Germany the übersoldat. Inca has the Supay, Transylvania gets Frankenstein(yes, I know Frankenstein is the name of the scientist and not the monster, but since the creature didn't have a name in the novel and every subsequent source has called the monster Frankenstein, I'm calling him Frankenstein) and the Zulu get the Inkanyamba. All should be National Units with no counterpart in the normal unit lineup like other UUs

I'll worry about artwork later, so I'll just get cracking on what the units do. Here's what I have for the American LU: the Gunslinger

Combat: Gunpowder
    Prereqs: Democracy, Rifling
    Cost: 90
    Moves: 1
    Combat: 9
    Number allowed: 7
    Default AI: pillage
    Free Promotions: Pinch, Authority (based on tsentom1's Crowd Control promotion)
    Abilities: Hidden Nationality, Invisible, can see Invisible, 40% withdrawal chance
    Other: Unique Names: John Reid, Lucky Luke, William Munny, The Man with No Name, Jonah Hex, Will Kane, Rooster Cogburn, Matt Dillon, Ben Cartwright, Rawhide Kid, Josey Wales, The Ringo Kid

20. Dibukk

Dibukk Chieftain

If you want some more names for gunslingers, how about John Cooper and either Roy O'Bannon or Shanghai Kid? You could use legendary historical gunslingers like Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Calamity Jane and Roy Bean, too.

Hm, I've never created a unit before, but let's give it a try:

Name: Thunderbird
    Civ: Native America
    Combat: Air Unit
    Prereqs: Hunting, Mystic
    Cost: 40
    Moves: 5
    Strength: 6
    Number allowed: 5
    Free Promotions: --
    Ability: Can destroy tile improvements and bomb city defenses (-10%/turn), Causes collateral damage, -50% vs. Naval Units
    Unique Names: Wakjinya, Animikii, Binesi, Kw-Uhnx-Wa, Heyokha, The Rain Bird, Chaahk, Cocijo, Aktzin, Raven, Xolotl, Haikili

Everything alright?