1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Disease

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Ozzy88, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ozzy88

Ozzy88 Chieftain

This is something that I have been pondering on since Civ V came out. What about the inclusion of disease as something players have to deal with during the growth of their empire?

I was initially going to plan a mod around this but my ideas far exceed my modding knowledge so I thought I would throw it out as an idea.

I made a list of Civs (excluding DLC civs) and then researched diseases or famines that each of them dealt with during their reigns. Every civ in the game has had to deal with at least the plague or something similar so it seemed like something that could be implemented and still be somewhat historically accurate.

Basically my idea was that at the start of the game each civ started with the potential to be inflicted by a disease or famine that relates to what they suffered through historically. The player then has to maintain and manage their cities pop and food supplies to prevent from being affected.

In the case of the plague, if a civ let their food supplies drop to starving through poor management, they would then have a set number of turns to get out of this state before being affected.

This "plague" debuff would impact the growth of pop and then eventually kill citizens. For example, if affected by the plague, 1 citizen is killed every 10 turns.

This could also affect a city in other ways, for example any military units constructed during a plague era would have reduced stats (indicated by a plague icon above the units head). Also if you garrisoned this unit in another city there is a chance that the city may also become affected by plague (proliferation of the disease).

Military units affected by this could cure themselves by waiting a certain number of turns within friendly territory that isn't afflicted by plague.

I also considered the threat this could impose on other civs. For example if Civ 1 has military units inflicted with plague and engages in combat with Civ 2. Then Civ 2's own military units could become infected.

Likewise, if Civ 1 could send infected military units into Civ 2's territory (during wartime) and if this infected unit lasted a certain number of turns within enemy territory, then Civ 2's nearest city would become infected. In this scenario, if Civ 2's city was well maintained had a high pop and was well fed, the plague debuff would last for 10 turns (which would reduce population growth in the city) before going away.

Using the plague strategically is well documented in history, with generals catapulting infected corpses behind enemy walls during a siege.

The above is just an idea regarding how Civ could be played if these disease's were in play. As I said earlier, I have a list of diseases for each Civ that could play out differently depending on what Civs were in a game.

This is just my own ramblings on what I think would be an awesome inclusion into this game, I'll also post this in the mod section to see what others think.

Cheers!

2. Brawndo

Brawndo Warlord

I'm definitely in favor of disease as an element, but without health as a game mechanic in Civ5 it would be difficult to implement. Also, I can guarantee you most people on this forum would not support the inclusion of a penalty like disease that has no upside.

3. Ozzy88

Ozzy88 Chieftain

IMHO there shouldn't be an upside to disease because its something that you should avoid. Blockading a town causing starvation could lead to an enemy being inflicted with disease so I guess the upside would be that you could use disease strategically to your advantage.

4. Tantor

Tantor Warlord

the developers had plans to include dark ages as the oposite of golden ages, but they decided against it. Simply because it is demotivating to the players.

5. Ozzy88

Ozzy88 Chieftain

It's also demotivating to be denounced and delcared war on from Civs whom you have held good relations with for centuries. Their borked diplomacy system is in my opinion more of a demotivator than my disease suggestion.

The idea of Dark Ages is something I wasn't aware of, it sounds like a good idea to me. Obviously if a system like this were to be implemented, I would want it to be an option that you can choose to enable if you want the extra challenge.

6. HardRocker

HardRocker Student.

I completely agree. That would've been a great system to include, but as it's not for everyone, it should be a checkable option in the custom game screen.

7. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

Going with the Dark Ages and Disease idea, why not just lose population points to disease when your empire is experiencing negative happiness? Right now negative happiness affects production and growth and -20 or more creates rebels. I think rebels should occur at -10 happiness and disease (losing population from cities) should occur at -20. What do you think? It's a bit farfetched to correlate disease with happiness, but it's an easy way to incorporate it.

8. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I think many people would oppose this purely because it would ruin their perfect games, you're being attacked and purely because of bad luck you begin to lose population and as a result lose because famine enters your cities.

9. Ozzy88

Ozzy88 Chieftain

Yes true however makingn a checkable box means that you know what you're getting into before you start the game and if you don't what that extra element you aren't forced to play with it.

10. Ozzy88

Ozzy88 Chieftain

I think correlating disease with unhappiness would work well enough within the game as it stands so long as it was explained clearly through a tooltip or the an advisor.

As I said in my original post, the player would clearly be able to see what city was affected and why by an icon over the city name (similar to when it's being razed).

I also have some ideas regarding migration of civilians from an affected city to one not affected, wherein the player could choose to migrate a portion of his population to a nearby city during plague times. Doing so would save that city from losing civilians per turn when plagued but alternatively have a chance of afflicting the city that harbors them.

Thoughts?

11. afedyuki

afedyuki Chieftain

Unless you can inflict it on your opponent. Speaking of which, the might as well implement biological weapons while they are at it. :devil:

12. Darac

Darac Warlord

Speaking of health, I always thought food should be a civ wide resource kind of like gold. Then you can spend it on growth or trade it to other civs for cash or resources etc.

The amount of food needed to grow a city would be dependant on its size and it's health. Health would be determined by buildings, tech, size and tiles worked in the city radius.

I'm not sure if disease would need to be its own mechanic or if it can just be implied by something more general like health.