Disputed Islands Situation

Ahovking

Cyber Nations
Japan and China both see itself as the rightfully leader of Asia, while the United States sees its role as the rightful protecter and leader of Asia.

My Question is this:

If China sends a large fleet to the islands and Japan does the same and a war can be seen over the horizon would the United States come to Japan's aid and risk China calling for the United States to pay off its debt it owns China which would bankrupt the U.S or risk millions of lives fighting them?

What would happen?

1) It is highly unlikely for any significant military action to occur.
2) US government bonds are not puttable. The US has no obligation to pay for those debts until the maturity date. The only thing China can do is stop buying new issues and sell off the ones they currently own to third parties to decrease demand and force up interest rates.
3) If things went that far, the US has far more power in its ability to simply default on the bonds held by China and refuse to pay them. Suddenly China loses nearly a trillion dollars in asstes.
4) The Chinese are just as dependent on the US as ther other way around, if not more so. And if China took action against Japan and the US, it would likely see its other markets in the West and South Korea dry up, leaving only Russia, and maybe India out of its current largest trading partners.

say can you help me with bond investing

which would bankrupt the U.S or risk millions of lives fighting them?

The US would be nowhere near bankrupt if it lost China as an investor. And since the piece of the pie owned by China is so small, they'd suffer if the US suddenly dropped its debt obligations in a highly improbable war.

I think the real question is whose side the nearby emerging superpower will take.

I think the real question is whose side the nearby emerging superpower will take.

India?
First, the term superpower is silly.
Second, India will never be a superpower (at least for a long, long time) if that's even what you're talking about.

Are we semi-seriously talking about India here or are you pulling the old Australia as a superpower joke?

Clearly Best Korea is going to be the sole superpower within 5 years and they must be the one in question here.

I actually am kind of interested in how Taiwan plays into the dispute. If they want to maintain their claim (which is identical to the PRC's) or oppose the PRC and work with Japan and the US. I assume they will try to stay out of it as much as possible, but if an actual diplomatic resolution becomes possible I would guess they need to make a decision.

I think the islands should belong to is whoever physically settling them right now.

I think the islands should belong to is whoever physically settling them right now.

So, nobody?

The islands are uninhabitted and due to their size and location it is extremely unlikely that will change.

The US would be nowhere near bankrupt if it lost China as an investor. And since the piece of the pie owned by China is so small, they'd suffer if the US suddenly dropped its debt obligations in a highly improbable war.

If this graph is true, why does everyone think China is a big player in American debt? Is the graph out of date, or are we misinformed?

Are we semi-seriously talking about India here or are you pulling the old Australia as a superpower joke?
I like digging out old jokes :(

There are some islands somewhere that China has a settlement on. Maybe there are 2 island groups and 1 of them is still empty

These are uninhabited hunks of rock. The total area is around 8 km2 I believe and they are useless as a landmass.

China has a number of territorial disputes. Obviously you have the whole Taiwan which also involves a number of surrounding island chains, they have other disputes over islands with South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Maylasia, Brunei, Phillipines, and Indonesia. The South China Sea in particular is an absolute mess.

Top Bottom