[R&F] Dissappointed in Civ VI, but now...

Packherd2

Warlord
Hello,

I haven’t seen this thread yet. I’d like to hear thoughts from anyone who, like me, was disappointed by Civ VI at release, what your thoughts on R&F are so far.

For my part, so far I’m... not entirely disappointed? Like, I’m still peeved at some of the glitchy nonsense, like sounds bugging in and out and the lousy movement forecasting. (Extra movement points no longer “stick” once a Great General or Great Admiral moves, and the blue range indicator seems to not accurately reflect movement in friendly foreign territory or the effects of embarking.)

But there’s certainly more stuff now to fiddle with. You’ve got to balance your relationships with the city-states, try to manage your ages, move your governors around, stay on top of loyalty, etc. It still doesn’t feel like the agendas of opposing AI are creating a similar management conundrum and the victory conditions are still really disconnected. Tourism doesn’t do anything unless you’re pursuing a culture victory, so you’re either building more tourist traps or just enough to stop the leader from getting a win. In Civ V tourism at least had a few extra benefits to conquest and trade. Likewise, pursuing a religious victory is just... building more religious units than the AIs.

While the government cards are an interesting alternative to the dreaded sliders, their impact seems... subdued. And wouldn’t it be fine if I could see the effect choosing “Medieval Faires” would have over “Natural Philosophy” before locking them in?

As before, I wonder if perhaps I’ve just aged out of 4x games, or Civ. The slog doesn’t feel as satisfying as it once did. What if the game isn’t the slog, but I am?

I played Civ 6 but hated the UI until CQUI came along and made the game playable for me. R&F broke the mod. I have yet to play R&F since its release because I won't play Civ 6 without a UI mod like CQUI. I'll just wait...

Top Bottom