Disscusion II:Barabrian Threats And Opurtunities

Ranger99

Ranger99's Going to NAVY?
Citizens and Soldiers,

As many of us know there is a large Barabrian Force within our borders at the moment, and they are pillaging and destroying quite a bit, but have made no move to attack Civatonia. An attack on Priapos is still POSSIBLE but not likley in my thoughts. This gives us many things to think about and discuss.

First off I'd like to state a quick thing really quick: We are dealing with 24 Barbarian Horseman here, even if we had a STRONG RDF created and ready for combat they still wouldn't be able to budge this Horseman stack. It's Defensive adn Offensive depth is simply to great for a normal sized force to deal with. But then there's also the chance that the Barabrians about face and assault Heildeburg.(Discussed more detail later..) So....

(Feel Free to add any other Options that you think of.)

OPTION I:Employ a bloackade against the Barbarians. And blaock them off from the rest of Fanatikos preventing them from pillaging any more land. This would be made of Hoplites and would block them off as best that we could. The problem is if the Barbarinas attacked even a fortified Hoplite thte chances are that the 24 Horseman will win and break thorugh. To counter that we back up the Blockade with Horseman to stall them as we reofrm our blockade.
OPTION ANALYSIS:Easily doable with our current military and we won't lose much doing this but we also won't gain anything. If a decsion can't be reached or agreed by the Citizenry this would be a default repsonse.

OPTION II: Assault the column with all avaible forces and fortify cities with Hoplites.
OPTION ANALYSIS:Not recomened at all, the Stack's defensives depth is too great and it alos leaves them free to pillage whenever, and wherever they please.

OPTION III:IF the Barabrian's attack Heidelburg, we COULD capitolize off of it and attack Germany as well, possibly razing Heidelbirg and TAKING Berlin. If we choose this Rome will most likley break their cease-fore with Germany and continue their destruction of Northern Germany while we chew away at southern Germany. (THIS IS THE OPTION RECOMMENED BY THE FA DEPT.)
More plans to follow if we decide that fighting Germany is a real and possible exploit.
OPTION ANALYSIS:I would very much like to see this Option be carried out as it will enlarge our empire and allow for a higher unit cost while keeping our Core Cites still close together making the RDF all the more viable, even with the 6th city. This option will also increase the experience of our military and create a buffer between us and other nations.

APPLIED TO ALL OPTIONS:No matter which option we choose the Horseman near Priapos is HIGHLY recomenned to tail the Barbarian columns for more Intelligenc eto find out what their intentions are and see if a War With Germany will happen if they attack Heidelburg.

That's the Down-Low on the Barabrian Threats, and Oppurtunities at the moment, this is always updated as Disscussion's continue, I would like to see a TON of participation in this as it really is the fate of our nation.

--Minister of Defense:Ranger99

I suspect the NW stack will move to the forest NE of Priapos (they might just move 2 NW instead, but I don't think so; I reread the barbarian thread, and now I'm more sure they'll move to the forest). The reason I say this is that they will move towards the units in their NW-SE line, but they'll want to end their turn on a better defensive location. In that case some hoplites could be stationed on the hill to let the barbarians suicide themselves. Whether the SE stack will move 2 NW towards our workers or 2 SE towards Heidelburg is an interesting question. I just did a simple test, and it looks like they'll move to the closer target (in this case, Heidelburg).

Edit: Did another test, and it looks like they prefer to go towards cities, so both stacks will probably go towards Heidelburg. The SE stack should go straight SE, but the NW stack will probably go to the forest S of the SE stack, then it'll probably go NW towards Styx. So some hoplites could be set up on the forest or hill there.

indeed we could, and in doing so improve our future against the germans as well as now, against the french who i assume we are fighting

The Option Of Fighting Germany was propsed by Vikingruler in the Ministry of Defense thread. It's really a good idea. All we have to do is assign the Horseman near Priapos to the barbarian Columns and tail them to see where they go. They very well could head for Heidelburg and attack it. Thus making the German send re-inforcements to their city, possibly taking away from the Garrison at Berlin, this allows us to use our massive force of Swordsman (8) agaisnt Berlin. And The Stables are also working on a trebuchet that could be used in the siege of Berlin. That's pretty rough but that's how it would play out if we choose that Option.

If we do choose the war with Germany option, the FA Consulate will fully suport it. If those 24 barbs hit Germany, not only could they lose a city or 2 down in the southern tundra, but they will also move valuable troops away from their core. It looks like this uprising might end up being a blessing in disguise. :cool:

I would not do a 'full' blockade, but I would station defensive units on high-priority tiles (mined BGs, food bonuses, etc.). Let them roam free in un-improved land.

The *are* going for Priapos. They always aim for the weakest city.

Heildelburg is weak as well Ginger_Ale, don't forget that. I do put improved tiles as priority, but it would cost less to do a full blackade or at least a 95% shifting blockade. If we let them roam wherever we will run out of Hoplites to staion on improvements, eventually they'll find improved tiles to attack, and if we shift they'll just attack the new undefended tile. Yes a blockade would be easier.

Yes, Greekguy, this barbarian Assault just MAY be a blessing, and I'm glad that you would follow the Defense Ministery if the option of war is the path that we take. The whole key behind it is the Barbarians attacking Heidelburg or another tundra city. The Germans will be FORCED to move in re-inforcements or risk losing more than just Heidelburg. These re-inforcements can only ge there in time if they come from the core of germany, thus weakening Berlin's garrison and making it an easy target.

greekguy said:
If we do choose the war with Germany option, the FA Consulate will fully suport it. If those 24 barbs hit Germany, not only could they lose a city or 2 down in the southern tundra, but they will also move valuable troops away from their core. It looks like this uprising might end up being a blessing in disguise. :cool:

Barbarians are a mere nuisance. They won't take a city or two from the Germans - they will only kill off some defenders if we are lucky. Barbarians can't take cities. Also, I doubt Germany will move many troops down, since those cities aren't important - plus, I don't think there are any tile improvements to protect.

Really? We did, we spotted 24 Barbarian's on our doorstep and moved down to protect Civatonia. Germany is already struggling after her firey war with Rome and every sity she has she must protect. You're right that they won't lose, lose a city, but if they don't protect it they'll have their treasury emptied. Which is almost as bad.

But since it IS a possibility I'd like to assign a Horseman to tail the barbarian's AND then assign another one to moniter the German lands from a safe location most likley the hill 4 tiles SE of Civatonia, from here we can tell if germany is sending reinforcements, if not, then we'll have a tougher time, but with a force of 8 Swordsman altogether, figure 6 for an actual assault we should'nt have any trouble taking a Core german city, maybe not Berlin since it's an AI Capitol, and therefore notorious for having 10 units in it!

But we have a strong offensive military and even the slightest weakening in Core Germany translates into a gaping hole in their defensive network for us to charge right on through.

--Minsiter of Defense:Ranger99

I would prefer to use the Hoplites to protect key tiles and use the Swords and particularly the Horses with their retreat capability to gradually pick off the Barbs from the stack. This way would steadily whittle them down whilst hopefully giving us some Elite Swords and Horses.

I think we should put one hoplite on a mountain or defensible location to defend Civatonia's tiles, but no in range of all three groups of barbs. If that happens, the barbs will be wiped out or severly weakend thus ending our blessing in disguise. The horse from Priapos is a pretty good idea, I just don't like sending a valuable horsemen in the line of danger is that important. Especialy because of the fact that the barbs will be staying in the vicinity of Hiedelburg, so intel isn't a must. We should wait for the barbs to attack Hiedelburg, but before that, we move 5 or so swords near Berlin. In one turn, our 3 remaining swords, raze Hiedelburg, and our main core of swords take Berlin before Rome does.

Alright, It seems like that War With Germany, if our barbarian Friends attack a german Border city is a concensus, can someone please get me a Screenshot of Germany?

I can't figure out how to transfer shots from Civassist.....(But I DID get it to work, THANKS FURIEY!)

That screenshot really gives me a good idea for a war plan. if you don't mind I would like to make a map and post it here. Or I could tell you how do make one if you are not sure. It's similiar to getting a screenshot, however I don't use CivAssist.

Go right ahead Vikingruler, I've already mad eone and posted it up, but examing another plan from another angle could prove to be better than mine! Every angle needs to be covered and we'd all be gald to see things from another angle.

I look forward to your analysis of the Wa rand our options.

Alright, Now that there is another thread for the Option, IF the barbarian's attack Heidelburg this thread needs to be used for something else,

What to do if they DON"T Attack Heidelburg.

Here's the facts,
-We can't go on the offensive agaisnt them, they have to much staying power.
-Our Hoplites SHOULD be able to hold their own agaisnt them
-We don't want them to pillage much else

So with those in mind what should we do about them, Luring them to fight agaisnt a Hoplite would be the best idea i'd think. But I'm open to whatever anyone has to say.

Use the Horsemen to slowly pick them off. If we make use of our roads and Hoplites for defence we should be able to attack with Horses and retreat to either a safe distance or to the protection of a Hoplite so they are safe from counterattack. It will not be quick, but we should get some Elite Horses from it. Swords can be used in a similar way but will not be able to run for safety afterwards - they could attack from the protection of a Hoplite and as long as they attack a stack will stay under that protection. We MUST make use of our roads.

I like the sound of that Furiey, of course as in all wars Mobility is key. OUr roads lathough not plentifull just yet must be sued to the best of the DP"s ability. Bentley, you've got a hard TC ahead of you ;)

I think that that sounds best to me, I'll adopt that as the Official Ministery Policy for this Barbarian Threat. Thanks Furiey.

definitley, Furiey's idea is great. Also, on the off chance the barbs don't attack Hiedelburg, which is greatly unlikely, but if they attack with a few horses, I still say war would be good. Hiedelburg may not get razed, but reinforcements would be sent from Germany to reinforce Hiedelburg and Cologne. Giving us low or none resistance on the way to Berlin. Also, you never know, Rome might be close to us, just one square into the fog with their army waiting to attack the barbs, so Germany will have their hands full giving us Berlin.

Top Bottom