Distance From Capital

brak

Chieftain
In several articles related to corruption, there are references to words like "orthogonal" and "diagonal" when referring to distance from the capital or FB. Can someone please tell me what these really mean? I have difficulty even perceiving that 'normal' left, right,up, down may not apply. In the game I'm playing now, I have a city considerably less than 18 squares away that started out with corruption. help!

Basically, each tile in the distance measurement for corruption is measured on of two ways. If you cross a point (corner of the tile) to get to the next tile, that counts as 1.5. If you cross a line to get to the next tile, that counts as 1.0.

To me this was not easy to get, since a unit uses the same number of movement points to cross a line or a point. Does this help?

You can move your units in 8 directions - N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW. NE, SE, SW, NW are what we call diagonals (I.e. Keyboard direction 1, 3, 7, 9).

Originally posted by brak
In the game I'm playing now, I have a city considerably less than 18 squares away that started out with corruption. help!
Distance is only one of two factors that contribute to corruption. "City rank" is the other - i.e. how many cities are closer? Also the map size enters into it. The smaller the map, the fewer relatively corruption free cities you get (Optimal City Number). 18 squares from the capital on a small map may produce a lot of corruption, while the same distance on an enormous map could produce relatively little.

Originally posted by wilbill
Distance is only one of two factors that contribute to corruption. "City rank" is the other - i.e. how many cities are closer? Also the map size enters into it. The smaller the map, the fewer relatively corruption free cities you get (Optimal City Number). 18 squares from the capital on a small map may produce a lot of corruption, while the same distance on an enormous map could produce relatively little.
Where can I find the "Optimal City Number" for each land size/Government? and is OCN different on each level?

The OCN varies slightly based on level. This information can be found on the World Sizes tab of the rules dialog in the editor (the base OCN for each map size) and the Difficulty Levels tab of the same dialog (the % of OCN that is the modified OCN at each difficulty level).

Originally posted by Krayzeenbk
The OCN varies slightly based on level. This information can be found on the World Sizes tab of the rules dialog in the editor (the base OCN for each map size) and the Difficulty Levels tab of the same dialog (the % of OCN that is the modified OCN at each difficulty level).

Top Bottom