Distinct AI fighting styles?

The Tyrant

Prince
Does each AI have a distinct fighting style?

I've recently been playing OCC games and in the last two I noticed how different the styles were of my PA civs. In the first one, Mansa was my PA and it wasn't difficult at all to "guide" his expansion. Mansa fought almost like a human would. All I had to do was declare war on a neighbor and help out a little by wounding the defenders of cities. He quickly sent cavalry and cannons to the right places without being asked and was downright surgical in his use of them. After taking a city he would dispatch defensive units to the city. The only negative aspect to his style was his annoying habit of pillaging land that was about to be his. Mansa didn't use mixed unit types when on the attack. He sent his strongest, quickest attack units (cavalry) along with cannons to reduce defenses.

In the second (currently in play), I PA'd with HC and it has been frustrating trying to guide his expansion. He hasn't displayed the pre-pillage philosophy that Mansa did, but getting him to use his military effectively has been a nightmare. I have to take him by the hand and ask him to attack certain cities, guiding him each time another city becomes the main target. I'll have the target city down to one wounded defender and he will slowly move mixed unit troops there, then sometimes wait instead of taking the city. I've even gifted him some cavalry since it takes him so long to build his own. He doesn't use them nearly as effectively as Mansa did.

I've only noticed this because I have had a vested interest in how effective each PA has been militarily. I hadn't noticed it before, but in each of these two games the fighting styles have been distinct. It wasn't just for part of the game, either. The same styles were used throughout each game. In the first one, Mansa was surgical with his military, ignored mixed unit "rules" while attacking, sent defensive units only after taking a city, and chose to pillage land that was about to be his. HC, on the other hand, had practically the opposite style.

Have the different civs been programmed with distinct wartime styles, or was this difference likely the result of different economic bases (i.e. disparity in the ability to produce certain units within a certain timeframe caused different strategies to be employed)?

i "think" they have, mansa seems to be some very accomplished work, i have noticed that mansa seems to fight harder than the other .... possably from circumstance?

I hope they do!
It'd be truely dull playing the 7 Dwarves (without the Disney personalities, origionally they were identical, grouchy & enslaved Snow White... ) so it's best if they did have some "style" even if it doesn't make them better at it.

Top Bottom