• Civfanatics downloads

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • GitHub

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ExpiredReign

Deity
I'm curious as to the make up of users that get this mod from the different distribution methods:
  • Civfanatics downloads
  • Steam
  • GitHub

This isn't a poll to change where the mod will be found, just a census of the skill levels and capabilities of those that use the various methods.
I'll state from the outset a slight prejudice against Steam. As a distribution method for large-scale commercial software that rarely changes I think it is very good. It eliminates the DVD shuffle and update download nightmares that were the common thing, but I dislike the way it can screw with setups if the user isn't on top of ALL the options that need to be set. Is there anything worse than finding your working mod collection ruined because 1 rogue update breaks the functionality of everything.:cry:

Anyway, this is how I see the methods in broad terms. Please feel free to re-adjust my thinking if I am wildly over simplifying.

Steam
Basically the goto method for new and less experienced users that just want to click and install something and play it without too much fiddling.
This means minor edits or fixes that may be found around the place don't appear until the next big release.
As it stands now Thalassicus is the only one with release capabilities in this method, though that MAY change in the future. Therefore the versions are dependent on his oversight for now.

Civfanatics
A vibrant and helpful place where anybody can get a fix just by asking. Even new users can get something installed if they ask.
If something needs fixing, anyone can find the answer and post it for all to use, if they have the skill to do so and sometimes even if they don't.
Additionally the finer details of changes are smoothed out here with the greater user base and wealth of experience of those that frequent the forum.
As with Steam, only Thalassicus can upload releases onto the downloads database and I don't believe this can be changed. The same standing with the releases applies here as it does to Steam.

GitHub
This is where the heavy lifting work of the actual coding usually takes place. With a small team of collaborators and many more cloning the repo and offering changes the brunt of the mod work is done here with all its raw glory open for scutiny, often with added bugs.
This takes a bit more of a working knowledge than most users but is still open to all.
The very latest versions should always be found here. Whether that be in a released version or by the source that can be compiled by the user.
This is slightly more forgiving in that ALL the collaborators can make releases and therefore bugfixes or changes can be implemented quicker and made available to all.
Add this to the open-source nature of the source tree repo and this method provides the best way of getting the latest/best version.

So just to reiterate, this isn't a poll to determine where all future releases will be found, it is just to see where the greater help needs to be focused.

It varies. I used all three methods before, it depends where the newest (stable) version is. I don't usually compile pre-release versions myself, however.

Didn't answer the poll because it would be misleading to choose only one. Steam is the most comfortable method I have to admit, although I hate auto-updates, too.

I never use steam to get it personally. But I'm more active fiddling with the thing than most and the auto-updates would just be annoying.

Github also can give a preview of the next version, so changes can be discussed and amended before they go live (like that weird-destroyer-carrier upgrade path that wasn't).

I use github but still want Steam to be the primary distribution service simply to make sure that everyone - including the users who don't quite know all the intricacies of modding - is on the same page.

I use github but still want Steam to be the primary distribution service simply to make sure that everyone - including the users who don't quite know all the intricacies of modding - is on the same page.

Fine by me. I never use Steam though. I want full control of the updates.

\Skodkim

Just bumping this up to the top again. I would really like some more input into the preferred distribution method.

I know, I know, bumping isn't the greatest in etiquette, but please indulge me.

You might get a wider distribution if you ask Thal to put a link up on the website to the poll.

I think most of us (the regulars/PT modders) on the forum are going to say github. It's the broader audience that we need to make sure is also happy.

The whole question may in fact become moot.

I have just been added to Thal's Steam account as a contributor in an effort to update releases when he, like at the moment, is away. However it doesn't seem to work as we expected. I can make releases, but they don't update the ones he has done, just add new ones. This means anyone subscribed won't be updated, which defeats the purpose.

If there still are a lot of people using Steam, keeping them in the loop may be problematic.

I currently download the new releases from GitHub, but agree that it should be maintained on the Steam Workshop for the more "casual" users who don't necessarily care about the development, but still want a streamlined way of getting the mod.

Is creating a new "dummy" steam account viable? One that isn't tied to Thal's private game collection, so multiple people could have access to the passwords?

Is creating a new "dummy" steam account viable? One that isn't tied to Thal's private game collection, so multiple people could have access to the passwords?

Can that be done?:confused:

I'm not an expert on steam accounts, but if there's an unused email account for somebody to create an account, then it should be possible to just share the login information across the relevant parties yes?

Also not being an expert.:mischief:

That would mean changing the current login details for the contributors on their work systems, because the ModBuddy SDK uses the login details of the current game's account as the detail to post the newly created/modified mod onto the Steam servers.

It may be possible but looks like a lot of fiddling. But what do I know.:crazyeye:

Something will have to be done as the current poll shows Steam is still a viable option.

Maybe if I start a few threads claiming unfixable errors as a result of using Steam.:lol:

Top Bottom