District cost actual numbers

oov

Chieftain
Here's the district cost formula:
FLOOR(BaseCost * (1 + 9 * FLOOR(100 * MAX(CompletedTechs / 67, CompletedCivics / 50))/100))
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5947kp/civ_vi_mechanics_how_district_production_cost/

It's confusing to me so I made a spread sheet to see what actually happens per tech . It's actually pretty simple.

Every science tech increases districts by 8.05 hammers. (or 13% per tech)
Each culture tech increases districts by 10.8 hammers. (or 18% per tech)

You pay the greater of the two. Game speed then alters it accordingly (online speed is half cost, etc).

So lets say you are rushing towards Apprenticeship. You must research 6 techs to get there. 6x8.05+60 (base cost) = 108 hammers @ standard speed.

Here's the district cost formula:
FLOOR(BaseCost * (1 + 9 * FLOOR(100 * MAX(CompletedTechs / 67, CompletedCivics / 50))/100))
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/5947kp/civ_vi_mechanics_how_district_production_cost/

It's confusing to me so I made a spread sheet to see what actually happens per tech . It's actually pretty simple.

Every science tech increases districts by 8.05 hammers. (or 13% per tech)
Each culture tech increases districts by 10.8 hammers. (or 18% per tech)

You pay the greater of the two. Game speed then alters it accordingly (online speed is half cost, etc).

So lets say you are rushing towards Apprenticeship. You must research 6 techs to get there. 6x8.05+60 (base cost) = 108 hammers @ standard speed.

Its not Quite like that because of the floor

Each science tech increases cost by 5.4 OR 10.8 (depending on rounding)
Techs: cost increase of that tech
1-5.4
2-5.4
3-10.8
4-5.4
5-10.8
6-5.4
7-10.8

the 8.05 is what you get on average
so 6 techs should actually be 60+5.4*floor(600/67)=60+5.4*8=103.2

Each culture civic increases cost by 10.8

Reactions: oov
Thanks KrikkitTwo for the correction. I ignored the FLOOR out of ignorance. I don't know why firaxis just didn't make it a flat increase per tech. For my purposes I'm going to just think of it as "about 10 hammers extra per tech".

Civ should be easy to understand but hard to master. Not the other way around.

They didn't make it flat per tech because the
"Floor(100*tech/67 or civic/50)"
Part is used in more than one formula
(It also determines chop yield, tile purchase, GP project cost+yield....and I'm sure other things)

Just checking -- the 13% and 18% values listed are the actual cost increases, and the listed cog values are just what they translate into for base cost 60 districts?

Great work on finding the formulas.

I've got to ask though--why did Firaxis do it this way? What is the point of this system? I find it rather annoying that a lot of techs have a net negative effect, and that cities founded in the mid-to-late game really struggle to build any districts without chops. On the other hand, I don't see any obvious advantages of this system. But maybe I'm missing something.

IMO, the most obvious rationalization is that they wanted districts to increase in cost as you progress, and techs is a measure of your progression.

As a measure of your progression, it has the advantage that it doesn't penalize backwards civs as much. It also rewards focused teching, which may or may not be a design advantage. For example, it is a rather severe penalty the "just chase after the Eurekas" style of research that some people think the game forces you into.

But this is just speculation to the actual intent.

Last edited:
I understood they wanted districts to increase over time (like builders) to keep a lid on uncontrolled expansion. This way, you can still build a new city late in the game, say if you want to grab a new resource, or on another continent, and it won't throw your empire into unhappiness, a la CiV. However, your city may not grow much, and will remain an outpost.

That was probably their intention, but I don't think it quite worked as intended. With AoE buildings in your industrial zones, a late pop 1 city in the middle of the desert can often build districts faster than your core cities can build districts in the early game. The biggest effect is that it does not pay off to colonize land far away from your core, since those cities would be very slow to get up and running.

I hate this design choice quite a lot. I'd have much preferred "each type of district increases in cost the more of it there is in your empire" to discourage building the same few districts first in every city.

Why? I like having different civs specializing in different things and going for unique win conditions rather than trying to force everyone into the same well rounded build.

Why? I like having different civs specializing in different things and going for unique win conditions rather than trying to force everyone into the same well rounded build.
It would be better if it was
Cost= Base+Number of total districts*x+Number of this district*y

Commercial
one sees commercial zones are a bit OP and money has just become a build mechanic. They also provide production when they should provide gold. Having markets and banks provide money based on trade routes rather than just flat money would also make it all work better and perhaps a little harder to have a lot of money which makes fielding massive armies more challenging.

Encampments
One feels encampments are under utilized and that troops from the classical + period should come from encampments for civilizations. This would limit the IZ rush by the violent among us.

Theater/Campus/Industry unique
I think these should be unique to each city. I would make civs less formulaic. Your IZ could still feed surrounding cities which I imagine was the intention much like the entertainment zone but if you want to go science you would have lots of campuses, cultural, lots of theaters. You could still have an industry hub of cities for Germany. I just think it would add more flavor.

At the moment its kill surrounding cities followed by CZ-IZ build pretty much regardless for best all round approach apart from religious.

It really annoys me that I am started to do this more regardless if I want a good win in a shortish game.

I do not think your formula for district cost is complete. I have noticed that if there must be a counter function that tracks how many of each type of specialty district has been built by the player in the game and adjusts to increase the cost of specialty districts that have been "over" produced.

I do not think your formula for district cost is complete. I have noticed that if there must be a counter function that tracks how many of each type of specialty district has been built by the player in the game and adjusts to increase the cost of specialty districts that have been "over" produced.
That's true you get a 25% discount (total cost 75%) if you have less of that district than the average.

Top Bottom