District cost mechanics. A very questionable design choice?

"Expand as quickly as possible to keep amount of techs and civics at a minimum. This way you can lock down costs of districts a lot earlier."

I usually build a monument in every city (usually first, at least once I'm to the point of spamming cities) so their tiles expand. Between that and the +sci you get for population, going wide tends to cause me to fly thru both trees. I'm usually still expanding when I'm already hitting modern techs.

While the cost of districts does get ridiculous I find I can usually deal with it with internal trade routes. Once the costs skyrocket making a route from new/weak city to my capital/older cities is usually a huge production boost. Once a city gets its industrial zone and buildings done, things aren't so horrible.

There also, IMO, needs to be SOME kind of "cost" for going wide and the increasing costs are basically it.

The other thing for me is, I don't need ALL cities to be godly powerhouses. It's really not a big deal if some take ages to fully develop since my core cities easily take care of the heavy lifting.

Lastly, and somewhat related (and also related to pace and flying thru the tech/civic trees), what I think needs to change is that you should need to actually build infrastructure to get thru the tech and civ trees. I seem to fly thru both with ease due to the +sci from pop (going wide) and just building monuments. One should need a decent commitment to campuses to keep up with tech, and one should need to do something for culture too. Simply spamming cities and flying thru the trees seems a bit much. I can have a 10-20 city empire with 2-3 campuses and vaporize the AIs for tech to the point of being able to colonial war them all by mid/late game without even trying. In Civ 5 if you didn't really focus on science you'd get left behind by the AIs even on normal difficulties.

I tend to build campus and related buildings more for great scientist points than for any impact it has on research speed.

If you had to actually work at getting thru the trees, ie, if you weren't flying thru them just for existing, then district costs being tied to tech advancement would be a more reasonable thing.

I didn't like the crushing penalties for going wide in Civ 5 (since I like big empires) but I wouldn't be opposed their being some kind of "corruption" (not an actual corruption stat but a reduction in sci/culture gains ala Civ 5, just not as unpleasantly brutal) to somewhat reduce the complete dominance of going wide. I'd rather see something like that than 40+ turn build times for districts.

PS - Can we as players ever be happy with this kind of thing? Every iteration of civ has had some way to "combat" massive expansion and it's never anything we find to be fun, but at the same time, I think there needs to be something since ICS/rex get tiresome and unfun when they become the routine/norm as well. This is something they tackled in drastic fashion in Civ 5 but kind of went overboard with it. It's a tricky thing to solve. It feels gamey/cheesy/lame if a small empire or single city can compete with a sprawling empire for sci/victory, yet the alternative of having wide be "the best way to go every time" will become tedious and monotonous eventually when you feel obligated to do it (or if you don't fill every space with cities the AIs will which is annoying - the ICS issue).

I've asked this before, but doesn't chop production go up with tech, so it all basically just evens out.

I've asked this before, but doesn't chop production go up with tech, so it all basically just evens out.

Actually almost everything production-wise scales up with tech, so it is even.

I agree. As I said many times now, I do like the connection between science, culture and production. When you focus on only one of them, you will often run into problems with the other two. This adds complexity to the game.
It only works when districts are connected to science and culture. I feel like tweaking the formula is still very necessary though.

Yes, I think the main thing here is tweaking the formula. Maybe let the increase of costs be a little less punishing.

This is where I disagree with you. As you also said later, your strategy is always the same. Expand, beeline commercial hubs and industrial zones, lock their costs down whenever you reach the next population limit and go from there.
The way the formula currently works kinda forces you to go with this strategy. It's imbalanced. It has to be tweaked in order to make other choices not as punishing anymore.
Even small things like building an early wonder instead of expanding immediately can make you lose the race against increasing district costs. I'm specifically talking about the time before trade routes and factories really start to have an impact.
Late game works completely fine, in my opinion, mainly because of the flexibility of trade routes.

Yeah, and that strategy is because of the way I like to play. I like my empire as wide as possible while making all their cities as worthwhile and strong as possible. What I've learned since always is that Production and Money are the way to make an empire strong, so that's the way I always go on every strategy game I play. And no, I never lock down costs. I just said that after reading what you said maybe I could adopt it for beelining to Apprenticeship, which I never did before but I was already thinking to do on my next playthrough as Germany.

As for late game working perfectly fine, that just shows off that the formula is good, just need some tweaking. Because it's exactly when the costs of districts are really rocketed up, but all your techs and civics can just hold that on.

But what I've seen is that production in Civ VI is something you really need to push on. On Civ IV it was military, on V it was science. On VI you can shrug off any invasion on early-mid game with 2-3 ranged and 2-3 melee, well placed on the terrain taking advantage of walls and encampments. After the first wave the AI will come on its knees asking for peace. As Rome I even conquered Sumeria with that force, and as Brazil I conquered half of the Aztec empire with it. On late game I have 12 units and am waging war on two fronts and winning... and most of those units are still the same from early game. On Civ IV such a force would be readily wiped out. There you needed to stop doing anything else and focusing entirely on producing units to ressuply the front, and reduce science output to pay for the army wages. Here even the longest wars don't hinder science on any level, nor hurt production, as I almost never stop what I'm doing to build new units (when I need them I buy them). At the same time, on my playthroughs I never exactly went for science, but when I noticed I was already leading science. That made me, on the Roman playtrough, switch my goal from domination to science victory, and it's paying off easily. Here you really don't need to focus on science to have a thriving science. Hell, I'm building my spaceport on 1640!!!! BUT if you don't really push things up on production you may be staggered and your entire civ may go to a halt. Even units on renaissance and beyond may take 15+ turns to be built if you ignore hammers.

Yeah, that's imbalanced, and I totally agree, but I really don't think that the cause is the district production scaling with tech, but that the overall formulae are a bit messed up. Remember that there is a lot of gaps on the tech tree, leaved there to be filled by DLCs and expansions, and maybe that will make science runs a bit more interesting. But I think the problem is the science being it's own resource, unrelated to the others. You focusing on money or production doesn't hinder science output, as it did on pre-V civs. And so on with culture and other things. Geez, I'm leading culture with my Roman empire, without even building one single Theatre district or even getting a single Great Writer/Artist/etcetc.

So I think that tech hindering production is good, IF production also hindered science, and so on and so on. That way it would be only about making meaningful choices. The district cost formula needs tweaking, yes, but it doesn't need big changes, just make it less punishing on earlier (pre-industrialization) ages. What would need changes are the other balances, which would make this one more meaningful. :D

Interesting to see? Yes. Practical? I don't think so. The Devs won't change such a core element of gameplay. My guess would be that it would make science king again anyway because the connection between science, culture and production would be gone and I really like that new design element. It can potentially ruin expansion as well. I'm certainly against it but I see why people like it.
Your second argument is kinda funny because it sounds like you are only against it because it hurts your own strategy (which everybody else uses as well because it's the only damn thing that really works -_-). This is not how balancing should work ;)

Heh, I'm really bad at humour. That last line there was just a joke.

About the serious part... yes, it would be interesting to see, on a mod, just to look at what happens. Maybe it would feel less cheap, because it would get rid of the only mechanic that tries to balance different outputs. But I really would prefer to see other mechanics that balanced the different outputs, and which would pile above each other, thus creating meaningful choices. I really think civ devs should learn with Dwarf Fortress.

You miss a core reason why I don't like the current implementation of this mechanic. Maybe because you haven't played around with it? I simply quote Cymsdale from another topic who described the issue of micro managing techs quite well. And I have to agree. It's infuriating because it it's extremely annoying and counter-intuitive. Avoiding the completion of techs whenever possible is a major flaw of the design right now. It's the whole reason why I suggested scaling per total amount of science/culture researched (which introduces other problems like rising costs every other turn or so but I'm sure the game devs can find a solution to this).

But people only do that because they somewhat think that reducing the costs of districts pays off better than having advanced science (and units, buildings, etc). Probably if the scaling wasn't so steep the cost of micro managing science (or of lagging behind on science) would be greater than - or better yet, equal to - the scaling of the cost of districts, which will make people less prone to do that micromanagement.

Even as it is, I don't really see the point of doing that micromanagement at all!!! It just makes no sense, as for me the prices didn't go so staggering high that I couldn't manage them with the things my techs and civics give, like improvements, buildings, policies, wonders and trade routes. It never felt that I was "taking forever" to build things. To the contrary, what always halted my district building was the pop cap. I can't wait to play with Barbarossa and his extra district slot. :D

@van der Knivet: Yep, I can agree with you. The mechanic adds a nice flavor to the game but needs some tweaking. It would be cool to test some of the more complete overhauls of the system but for now I'm just interested in how Firaxis will handle this.
For optimal finishing times you need to abuse the lock-down and tech micro management but if you want to play just for fun or a little more carelessly you can luckily ignore both. :)

I've played a bit more. People have the wrong impression. Halting science won't make things better. It'll just make things slower. van der Knivet has stumbled onto the real score here - production is how you do it. Production and money. You prioritize the science that makes both of those go faster, and you can keep up with an amped Science rate just fine. So go for Apprenticeship. Go for Machinery. Go for Exploration - all things that make cogs and gold. The Factories don't come online until much later, and once they do, you're fine. So go early for techs that boost your production capacity, and make sure those tiles are improved and worked upon. The District costs remain completely stable.

I really don't like the current system, the increased district costs per technology/civic, doesn't really hamper wide play as much as you might think. All it really does is penalize wide play in the late-game, and basically prevents players who played tall in the early-game the option of going wide in the late-game.

In my opinion, increasing district cost per the amount of districts already built is the fairest way.

Why would it prevent that? I'm in the Atomic Age and I'm STILL expanding. It's perfectly doable.

Who said it was meant to punish wide play? That seems to be making an assumption about its design purpose.

In real world terms

The first districts and builders would have taken longer to build and as time went on the more you built the faster it would be to do so but not huge amounts, Logistics limit snowballing.
A city would never build lots of industry in a place that did not suit it. Cities became more specialized and used trade routes (well done on that one civ)
The issue with colonial powers was the people experienced in making factories/ science tended to stayed in a factory town or were used in a nearby one

I feel
Some districts do not share cities in reality very well and so should not in Civ
An industrial district cannot be be built in a city with a campus or theater district nor within X tiles of another industrial district or maybe cost more and/or have less effect.
A Theater district could not be built in a city with an industrial district or campus or maybe cost more and/or have less effect.
A campus could not be built in a city with a theater district or industrial zone or maybe cost more and/or have less effect.

All other districts can go anywhere apart from Aerodromes or Spaceports which should have some limitations.

The first time a district is built within an Y tile radius it should have a penalty build time/cost. Note this radius should count for other Civs nearby, especially with trade and open borders.
Over time people get to use resources better in cities but creation of a district is a complex thing and so should have a time increase to keep its built time steady. There is also degradation in workforce with city size IMO.

I imagine these would be too much change for developers as the effects on the game are huge. Ah well, its nice to fantasize.

Last edited:
As for the science question, is it bad that there's now a trade off to actually researching techs you don't need? You aren't a Maritime power. You're not going to be building ships. Why do you need Celestial Navigation? Just because it only takes a turn now? Well, now there's a trade off. It's an added incentive to focus on the techs you really want rather than just getting them all. Why is this bad? Because it's different?

If you are getting distracted into researching techs you have no use for, you already paid the cost of wasting your research on something frivolous. It is horrible game design to add in an extra hidden cost on top of that, just to further punish people for "going wide" technology wise.

If you are getting distracted into researching techs you have no use for, you already paid the cost of wasting your research on something frivolous. It is horrible game design to add in an extra hidden cost on top of that, just to further punish people for "going wide" technology wise.

Why is it such horrible game design, exactly? If you're going to waste your time, then what do you care that you waste a few more turns building districts? It's one or the other. District cost obviously goes up. That's obvious the first time. It's also obvious that it goes up the more techs and civics you have. That's ALSO extremely obvious. It's not documented. That's something that could be put into the game, absolutely. But that doesn't mean the design is bad.

Heck, how many of you can rattle off the formula for scaling district costs anyway? Virtually no one, I'd guess. It's an esoteric formula that doesn't matter beyond the very obvious effect, which anyone playing the game can plainly see.

Why is it such horrible game design, exactly? If you're going to waste your time, then what do you care that you waste a few more turns building districts? It's one or the other.

There is a listed cost and an unlisted cost. The listed cost is you wasting a turn of research on a tech of marginal value. The unlisted cost is that if you do this too much because you just want to get rid of those cheap 1 turn techs, you suddenly find yourself with drastically increased district building costs. The RL equivalent would be that completing an online course in hairbraiding will increase your insurance premiums. It makes absolutely no sense.

District cost obviously goes up. That's obvious the first time. It's also obvious that it goes up the more techs and civics you have. That's ALSO extremely obvious. It's not documented. That's something that could be put into the game, absolutely. But that doesn't mean the design is bad.

Heck, how many of you can rattle off the formula for scaling district costs anyway? Virtually no one, I'd guess. It's an esoteric formula that doesn't matter beyond the very obvious effect, which anyone playing the game can plainly see.
You mean all the people coming to Civ-fanatics asking why the district costs are going up and then doing a double take when they get the explanation are just missing something obvious? It's not obvious, it's not documented and its horribly counter-intuitive. The only thing you can really see is that the cost are going up as game time progresses.

It could be tested I guess.

Go onto an easy level and save a start game.
Play for about 100 turns while not increasing population or making eurekas as much as possible and build 1-2 additional cities with the odd district.
Then do the same but race science along and create 1-2 cities with the same districts and compare the 2 games new district costs.

I don't think Germany is OP unless the pre-planning of districts is by design. But I would rather change the pre-planning than change Germany.

I'm definitely not a fan of bee-lining production all throughout the tech and civic trees being the clearly most effective way to play (with maybe some exceptions for military tech).

I just played 2 prince games to 100 turns on an island, very basically. At 100 turns these are the differences.

Science run at turn 100

14 techs & 9 civics complete
City 1 6 population with a campus an encampment
City2 6 Population
If I want to build any district in either city at turn 100 it will cost me 169 cogs

Not clever run at turn 100

5 techs & 3 civics complete
City 1 1 population
City 2 3 population and a campus just built
If I want to build any district in either city at turn 100 it will cost me 97 cogs

While it may be population based also, population affects science so sort of the same thing.
Is the cog difference that great considering the 2 examples above are a bit extreme.

My English strategy is to make 3 local cities which I will get production in ASAP because that just works, period.

I then send lots of settlers overseas onto river mouths with resources and my population and science booms big time. I do not bother with campuses but just get my royal navy dockyards and lighthouses and commercial districts which together with my multiple luxuries and now 15 or so trade routes allow me huge political power as well as snowballing science. With my colonial troops built free of charge with every city my army size is not bad either. Then mid to late just choose what you want to do but England is not well suited to domination

Luckily the AI is not well suited to any victory currently but I wish it was as it would be nice to test the political boundaries more.

I suspect people are too tied up on the perfect German game having a few more cogs than others and think that that automatically means a win.
I just talked above about the perfect English game, It doe snot always happen but is more likely the more times you restart your game looking for the perfect land.
If you want to find the perfect land and then say Germany is OP then sure, I guess they can pump out those nasty U boats a bit more than I can put out destroyers but I think My war weariness would be less and my science more.

I have not played Germany yet, just how many extra cogs so they get 2-3 per city? or is it more?

Yeah I don't like it either. Scaling districts with districts makes way more sense than scaling districts with science/culture progression. That's how I assumed it would work prior to the game's release but I was a bit disappointed when I found out the truth

Thank god for mods though

Top Bottom