District Discount Mechanism

Wow I always thought it was dependent on the number of districts built by the AI.

So if I do get two early holy sites, I can get one discounted campus before I hit currency?
What about two discounted campuses? Would I need 3 holy sites before currency?
3/2 = 1.5 which is >1 ?!

You can get 2 discounted campuses if you place the 2nd one after the 1st one built. Since at that time you have 3 full districts (2 holy+1 camp) and 3/2>1.
If you want to get both of them placed simutaneously and discounted you need 3 holy sites built before.

You can get 2 discounted campuses if you place the 2nd one after the 1st one built. Since at that time you have 3 full districts (2 holy+1 camp) and 3/2>1.
If you want to get both of them placed simutaneously and discounted you need 3 holy sites built before.

Thanks. Very interesting. Problem is I'd also have to delay bronze working.

Also state workforce as well. So might not be that useful in Rise and Fall.
Oh I see. I did a quick test with Japan and it worked very well. Got 3 holy sites and the 1st campus was discounted. The second campus got discounted after I finished the first one. This was with early state workforce.
Had 3 archers, 3 holy sites, 3 shrines and 2 campuses by turn 57 and can now start a 2nd expansion wave. That's quite hilarious. Awesome tip!

Oh I see. I did a quick test with Japan and it worked very well. Got 3 holy sites and the 1st campus was discounted. The second campus got discounted after I finished the first one. This was with early state workforce.
Had 3 archers, 3 holy sites, 3 shrines and 2 campuses by turn 57 and can now start a 2nd expansion wave. That's quite hilarious. Awesome tip!

Yes, Japan can use this strategy very well with +100% towards certain types of districts.

So 20% overall cost reduction I guess or?
Not a cost reduction - it will multiply your production by 1.25 when building the first district.

This is important to note bc you can use this to buff a chop overflow.

To be honest this thread completely changed my gameplay.

As Korea, I avoided researching Bronze Working and Astrology and spammed Seowons in order to get the early discount for commercial hubs, theatre squares and industrial zones. After that, I started to backfill cheap harbors, camps, entertainment districts and holy sites to increase the overall district count which triggered another round of discounts for commercial hubs, industrial zones and so on. Basically I've never built a district without a discount unless I really needed it.

I can't believe this thread only has two pages after several months xD. Thanks for sharing anyway ^^

And one more thing. I always thought that locking district costs by pre-placing them is the optimal choice but in the Korea game it only made sense for Seowons and districts which were already discounted again.
Very clever Firaxis!

Last edited:
Unique Districts still get the District discount? Like, Campus - 54, Sewon - 27, so can it be discounted (60%) as well to go to 16?

Last edited:
Question regarding the calculation of variable b:
If you conquer cities with already built districts, do these districts count toward the calculation of b
OR does b strictly include districts that you have built yourself?

If so, I would refine the description of variable b

As far as I know they do count towards b.

By the way, a very useful formula is the following. If you want to know how many districts you need in your empire in order to get the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on district of each type discounted:

b = a*(n-1) + 1

b: Total amount of districts you need in your empire to get "n" of each type of district discounted.

Exception:
The requirement for the 1st discount is simply b = a

Three quick examples:

1)
You researched: Writing, Astrology, State Workforce and Currency => a = 4
How many districts do you need in your empire to get the first 2 of each type of district discounted => n=2:
b = 4*(2-1) + 1 = 5
=> So say you have 2 holy sites, 2 campuses and 1 government plaza in your empire (total amount of 5), you get the discount for the first 2 commercial hubs.

2)
You unlocked all types of districts (including water park and aerodrome) => a = 11, and you want to know how to get the discount for the first 4 districts of each type => n = 4:
b = 11*(4-1) + 1 = 34
=> If you have 34 districts in your empire you get the discount for the first 4 districts of each type.

3)
You researched Bronze Working and Writing => a = 2
What is the requirement for the 1st discounted encampment?
b = a = 2
=> You need 2 campuses to get the 1st encampment discounted

I think that's why Firaxis decided to make the waterpark 3x the cost initially because it's pretty much always discounted anyway. But it's changed to 1x now. Hurray for cheap water parks.

To get a quick overview over the amount of districts, I use the mod: Better Report Screen (doesn't break achievements)

EDIT:
Quick spread sheet to show how I use this formula. Just print it and forget all the math.
Count the number of districts you have unlocked (top green row) and then go down and look at the yellow numbers which tell you exactly how many districts you need in your empire to get 1,2,3 etc discounts per district type.
Probably a bit confusing at first glance but it's easy to use in game. I hope the example explains everything.
Spoiler :
District Discount Chart 01.JPG

Last edited:
I have a question. Does unlocking aerodromes count towards variable "a"?
If so, a = 10 is maximum?

Edit: Actually the max value of "a" is 11 !! My mistake!

Last edited:
Since nobody discusses this topic :mischief:

I looked at it a little more and I think that going for the discount of the first two districts of each type is a no-brainer because it's so easy to get.
You only need "a +1" districts to unlock 2 districts per type. That's insane.

If you don't go for a religion, delay Astrology or even Bronze Working as long as possible. So even after unlocking IZs, a = 6. You only need 7 districts to get 2 IZs discounted!! Or at that point, only 13 districts to get the discount for 3 of each type !! How is this not more discussed here?
I don't care about the drama!

Also, in my last game I wrote down the production costs everytime I've waited for a discount and even after 30 turns, it was still a lot cheaper (only 2/3 of the original costs by pre-placing depending on research speed). So I always ask myself now. Do I really need another commercial hub right now or do I build a cheap theatre square for example instead, grow the city and place the CH at a discount later? Because by doing so, I get two districts for the price of 1 and unlock more discounts again.

This concept can be applied to many situations in the game where it is better to wait for another district to finish because it then unlocks another discount for the one you originally wanted to pre-place. By doing so, you can save a lot of hammers. Just wait and build something else.

It's quite interesting. And fun because you actually have a motivation to build a couple of camps and entertainment districts as well. Camps are dirt cheap anyway with the -30% policy. Add Liang and Merchant Republic for a good laugh.

By the way, Germany is insane at spamming discounted districts. It never stops. :crazyeye:

Spoiler :
20180318203549_1.jpg

Last edited:
Since nobody discusses this topic :mischief:

I looked at it a little more and I think that going for the discount of the first two districts of each type is a no-brainer because it's so easy to get.
You only need "a +1" districts to unlock 2 districts per type. That's insane.

If you don't go for a religion, delay Astrology as long as possible. So even after unlocking IZs, a = 6. You only need 7 districts to get 2 IZs discounted!! Or at that point, only 13 districts to get the discount for 3 of each type !! How is this not more discussed here?
I don't care about the drama!

Also, in my last game I wrote down the production costs everytime I've waited for a discount and even after 30 turns, it was still a lot cheaper (only 2/3 of the original costs by pre-placing depending on research speed). So I always ask myself now. Do I really need another commercial hub right now or do I build a cheap theatre square for example instead, grow the city and place the CH at a discount later? Because by doing so, I get two districts for the price of 1 and unlock more discounts again.

This concept can be applied to many situations in the game where it is better to wait for another district to finish because it then unlocks another discount for the one you originally wanted to pre-place. By doing so, you can save a lot of hammers. Just wait and build something else.

It's quite interesting. And fun because you actually have a motivation to build a couple of camps and entertainment districts as well. Camps are dirt cheap anyway with the -30% policy. Add Liang and Merchant Republic for a good laugh.

By the way, Germany is insane at spamming discounted districts. It never stops. :crazyeye:

From you post I guess you understand this concept well.

But I also guess you misinterpreted this and lay too much emphasis on it.

A discounted district may save 50~100 hammers from a non-discounted one. But a Magnus chop with overflow can give you 400~500 production. At least for me, I don't take this discounted mechanism seriously, but focus on "what I need" instead.

The reason I say this is that I see your victory last for more than 220 turns, which is a lot slower than usual even if you play "peacefully" or "immersively". I guess immersive players don't care about this discount so you may not be playing that way, making the turn number looks more terrible.

From you post I guess you understand this concept well.

But I also guess you misinterpreted this and lay too much emphasis on it.

A discounted district may save 50~100 hammers from a non-discounted one. But a Magnus chop with overflow can give you 400~500 production. At least for me, I don't take this discounted mechanism seriously, but focus on "what I need" instead.

The reason I say this is that I see your victory last for more than 220 turns, which is a lot slower than usual even if you play "peacefully" or "immersively". I guess immersive players don't care about this discount so you may not be playing that way, making the turn number looks more terrible.

Oh mighty Lily, please teach me your chopping skills and how to look down on people based on a silly turn number :sleep:

You said yourself it saves production. In Renaissance it's more than 100 hammers by the way. But yeah, why even bother? Magnus is there to save the day.

Seriously Firaxis, can you please fix the overflow exploit so people in this forum talk about strategies again? *sigh*

Last edited:
Oh mighty Lily, please teach me your chopping skills and how to look down on people based on a silly turn number :sleep:

I don't look down on people based on this. Sorry for letting you have a feeling about that. But I do believe a longer finishing time is less persuasive on anything you say. What you said about the mechanism is correct, but if you attached a save, a >200t finish just tells everyone to do the reverse of what the author said.

I dont get the discount mechanism. Why does it exist? To encourage players to build all of one district type before the next tech/civic? But tech/civics usually finish way faster than build times anyway...so it will just keep resetting...

Top Bottom