• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

GT_OKEZ

Warlord
District Guide for Multiplayer

Hi everyone. Often I see the question of what districts do I need to build to be competitive? Is there a 'build order?" Usually there isn't a set build order since Multiplayer games (and even Single Player to a lesser extent) offer some unpredictable elements as well as map randomness. In general though, there's four 'core' districts you want to have up for most of your cities.

They are (in order of importance):

· Commercial Hub// Harbor

· Campus

· Industrial Zone

· Encampment

In order to be able to build all four districts your city requires a minimum population of 10. Some Civs like Germany ignore these caps or limitations due to their unique Civilization abilities (i.e. Germany can build an extra district than the population cap ignores so Germany can have four to five districts at population 4 instead of 10 not to mention the Hansa is an unique industrial zone district so it doesn’t count towards the population cap)

This is why Germany is a heavily contested pick since they can have their infrastructure up and running a lot faster than other civilizations, in theory.

This, however, is a general district guide for most Civs that have to abide by the district cap rules.

A good rule of thumb when placing districts is being aware of the adjacency bonuses offered to each specialty district. I found the following link to be a helpful guide:

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/ci....png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

Also, it’s wiser to plant your districts down as soon as you can even if you don’t finish building them. District costs scale up depending on how much techs you’ve already researched. The higher the tech, the higher the production cost. In other words as soon as a district you want is available for you to build you should pick a spot for it and plant it down even if you swap production back to something else you want and you finish the district later.

There’s a reason I’ve ranked the districts in order of importance the way I did and I’ll offer a quick explanation as to why.

Commercial Hub/ Harbor are first because of the Trade Routes. More Trade Routes mean more economy and infrastructure such as roads and yields. Internal trade routes offer food and production which is critical for establishing your cities. International trade routes yield gold but gold typically isn’t as important as food and production. I’d recommend running all or most of your trade routes internally for most of the game. Far from not only offering the base gold that commercial hubs and harbors offer, they grant lots of production and food thanks to trade routes and commercial hubs even generate Great Merchant Points and Great Merchants are fairly powerful and some of the most contested Great People. Early in the game internal trade routes will be your main source of bonus production (more so than industrial zones until factories). If you can build both of these districts then I say go for it and prioritize both over other districts first. Again, more trade routes means more production and food for developing your cities and/or making units.

Second, it was a toss up between Campus & Industrial Zone as both are fairly essential to stay competitive. In this instance I rank early game science a little higher than early game production. Production eventually becomes the most important yield but if another player is teched an era ahead of you then you’re probably going to lose. Being able to produce inferior units a little faster usually just means you’re feeding them XP in combat and getting war wariness from losing more units. You could opt to go Industrial Zone before a Campus and that’s still fine but a tad bit more risky IMO. On top of that Campuses are available sooner and your tile improvements plus internal trade routes ought to be able to sustain your production until you develop your Industrial zones with buildings. Slapping a campus down as soon as you can (so long as you already did or started a commercial hub/harbor ) is generally a good choice. On top of that Campus and Industrial Zone districts and buildings generate Great Scientist and Great Engineer Points respectively which are in the top tier of Great People types along with the Merchant and General.

Making its way into district importance is the Encampment and for good reason too. As multiplayer is developing the importance of Encampments is rising at an enormous rate. More and more I’m finding myself having an encampment on my outer cities mandatory and in my inner cities highly recommended. Encampments eliminate the need for two strategic resources to produce a unit that requires a strategic resource. They also offer static defense, some housing, an earned XP boost to your units, production, and Great General Points. You can also construct a Military Academy here which allows you to produce Cores and Armies which can be fairly game changing.

What wasn’t mentioned thus far are Holy Site , Theater Square, and Entertainment Complex . It’s because these districts are not considered ‘core’ to have in all or most of your cities. They are niche, bonus, or specific.

Entertainment Complex is important in so far as you’ll need a couple of these address amenity issues once your cities really start growing and to combat war wariness. The Zoos and Stadiums in these districts offer an area bonus (6 tiles) to spread additional amenities. They are not unimportant for this reason but not vital to establishing your core districts. It’s wise to place your Entertainment complexes on tiles that reach the most cities as possible within 6 tiles of wherever the Entertainment complex is placed. Center of your empire is ideal and these will typically be your largest cities anyways.

Theater Square is probably the least important of the districts as its main purpose is to generate tourism and cultural victories do not factor into many multiplayer games. The bonus culture is nice but not hugely impactful as enough culture can be sustained through population, pantheons, monuments, and policies (Meritocracy). If you’re so far ahead and have a large enough population to sustain a Theater Square then going for it would be less costly. Tourism win isn’t impossible in multiplayer but not likely. Greece has a more flexible option of throwing down some Acropolis because it is a unique district for them, can be built quickly, and doesn’t count against the district cap. Also Germany may have enough room for them as well. In summary, Theater Squares are not essential but could have some use.

And finally I’m saving Holy Site for last. It’s been conventional wisdom that Holy Sites are simply not worth it and too ‘out of the way’ to get up in running early because it sacrifices a slot for a more important district. Furthermore, religion in Civ VI seems mediocre at best and religious victories, like cultural victories, are not likely in a multiplayer setting. That being said, some Civilizations rely heavily on religion to exploit their full potential (Arabia, Russia, Spain, India, and as I’ve discovered recently, America). Holy Sites produce Faith. Faith is a rather weak currency but fairly strong with a viable faith purchasing strategy that Russia currently does best.

Russia has the liberty of spamming their Holy Sites (Lavra) to their hearts content because it a unique district for them so that means it’s cheaper and doesn’t count towards the district limit. If Russia is near tundra and takes the Dance of the Aurora pantheon that’s a lot of faith generation from Lavras.

Other civilizations have to think about where and when to build their holy sites (except Germany to an extent) because of the district cap limits. I have found that building your holy site in your capital or second city first is ideal. You don’t need to spam them throughout your empire like Russia will likely do but if you want powerful religious belief bonuses like Defender of the Faith this will slow you down in terms of Science (I usually sacrifice a campus for a holy site if I must) Take the Wat for your worship belief as it provides 2 science to help make up for some of the science deficit. There is also a Great Scientist, Hildegard of Bingen, that comes in the Medieval Era that allows for the Holy Site’s adjacency bonus to count for a Science adjacency bonus as well. The Wat and Hildegard are at least some compensation in terms of science since you decided to go with a Holy Site. In multiplayer you typically won’t be going religion to convert everyone else for a religious victory but to enhance yourself to win by other means (i.e. Defender of the Faith is excellent for being defensive). Also, the recent patch makes religious pressure better which adds a little value to religion that was desperately needed.

Thanks. The veteran players will probably see nothing new here but I hope this helped someone like me, still learning the game and fresh on the multiplayer scene.

Last edited:
I've played few MPs after patch. I am leaning toward encampment or holy site on pangea. Chop the first general or grabbing defender of faith is a must to secure my safety. Also showing off few horseman to my neighbor, saying 'I am not weak'. Then, it's time to build core districts.

Most MPs are played on Pangea maps so I used a Pangea scenario in writing the guide.

If I feel I need a religion then I'm going HS first unless I can chop out Stonehenge or players are just being too aggressive. I didn't create the 'list' to be a specific 'build order' but rather ranked them in overall game importance. Depending on what's going on in the game (aggressive or peaceful start) the Encampment is the 'wildcard' because it could be the most logical first district to throw down if the situation demands.

At the core I like a trading district, production, science, and military. The order can vary.

the Encampment is the 'wildcard' because it could be the most logical first district to throw down if the situation demand.

Exactly, I had Scythia next to me in one game. I had to grab first general and horseman to move his attention to another neighbor. If I didn't do that, I might be the first target, which would be very costly.

Going to have to disagree here.

Theater Square districts are quite important for speeding up the rate with which you get civics, much like the campus is for science. It is best to have at least two or three Theater Square districts in your empire.

Holy Sites are useful in terms of helping you get great people, so you shouldn't ignore them, even if you aren't going for a religious victory. If your Civ allows you to build them, then do so early, if only to start stockpiling points that you can then use as necessary to give you great people. It is possible to get enough gold to pretty much get Great People outright, but then that is gold you can't use for units or buildings,etc. I would agree that you could ignore them [mostly] and still win, but you might as well try for any edge you can get on great people you can.

Everyone has their own strategy with Civ, and while you can win without either Theater Square or Holy Site districts, limiting their use has downsides.

For instance, with no Theater Square districts I was always behind in culture, but well ahead in science. So I would still be with a mid-game government with low civics cards while everyone else had late game governments and cards that gave them an edge.

None of the images on the first post work for me; when I right click individually, it appears the server redirects to it's own page that contains not only the image but version history (among other things.)
So it looks like OP if he wants to use those images needs to download all of them to his own machine and then upload them.

None of the images on the first post work for me; when I right click individually, it appears the server redirects to it's own page that contains not only the image but version history (among other things.)
So it looks like OP if he wants to use those images needs to download all of them to his own machine and then upload them.

Thank you, I just removed the images to clean it up a bit.

Going to have to disagree here.

Theater Square districts are quite important for speeding up the rate with which you get civics, much like the campus is for science. It is best to have at least two or three Theater Square districts in your empire.

Holy Sites are useful in terms of helping you get great people, so you shouldn't ignore them, even if you aren't going for a religious victory. If your Civ allows you to build them, then do so early, if only to start stockpiling points that you can then use as necessary to give you great people. It is possible to get enough gold to pretty much get Great People outright, but then that is gold you can't use for units or buildings,etc. I would agree that you could ignore them [mostly] and still win, but you might as well try for any edge you can get on great people you can.

Everyone has their own strategy with Civ, and while you can win without either Theater Square or Holy Site districts, limiting their use has downsides.

For instance, with no Theater Square districts I was always behind in culture, but well ahead in science. So I would still be with a mid-game government with low civics cards while everyone else had late game governments and cards that gave them an edge.

Civic progress and culture can be sustained with pantheons, population, policies (especially Meritocracy), and monuments. Greece (and Germany because they have the liberty of building extra districts) is the exception and can have the liberty of building the Acropolis since it doesn't count against their district cap, has higher culture yields, and better adjacency bonuses. The vanilla TS, however, has rather poor bonuses and great works are primarily designed to boost tourism. In other words, I never had a game where lacking theater districts caused me to fall drastically behind in culture and civics like you describe - just be sure to get up your monuments and run the meritocracy card when you need to power through to a Civic you need.

The campus is the only structure you can make that yields science (aside from a few wonders, or if you spawn by a science yield natural wonder, or if you're running Wats in your religion which only give 2 science. For this reason and the importance of tech Campus is a must have core district. On top of that Great Scientists are far more useful in a multiplayer competitive setting than Great Artists, Writers, and Musicians.

I'm finding that having a religion is becoming more useful in multiplayer games since the new patch release. The increased pressure from your holy city actually makes a difference now. There are some very powerful beliefs such as Defender of the Faith that can be game changing bonuses. I haven't found that tourism is competitive yet but religion definitely went up in importance. All of this can change in the future and tourism could become a very competitive strategy and I hope it does.

Multiplayer is goal-oriented. You need to focus on specific goals for your own personalized timing. What you suggest above is a very generalized strategy to try to get "enough of everything." It's not a winning strategy against someone with specific goals. Rather, it's almost like you're playing not to lose.

1) You're trying to get a small bonus to food, production, and gold through your commercial hubs and traders.
2) You're trying to keep up in science by making campuses.
3) You're trying to keep up in industrial production by making industrial districts.
4) You're trying to make the best units possible by making encampments.

All of this means that you're going to be behind another Civ that focuses only on 1 or 2 aspects. It is not realistic to expect to be able to make 4 districts in every city before "things happen" (such as tanks rolling across your border). Dictate the match to your opponent, not the other way around.

Multiplayer is goal-oriented. You need to focus on specific goals for your own personalized timing. What you suggest above is a very generalized strategy to try to get "enough of everything." It's not a winning strategy against someone with specific goals. Rather, it's almost like you're playing not to lose.

1) You're trying to get a small bonus to food, production, and gold through your commercial hubs and traders.
2) You're trying to keep up in science by making campuses.
3) You're trying to keep up in industrial production by making industrial districts.
4) You're trying to make the best units possible by making encampments.

All of this means that you're going to be behind another Civ that focuses only on 1 or 2 aspects. It is not realistic to expect to be able to make 4 districts in every city before "things happen" (such as tanks rolling across your border). Dictate the match to your opponent, not the other way around.

I get what you're saying and it's good. Have a strategy and don't be purely reactive. If there's an opportunity for me to take out someone quickly by focusing heavily on military production of course I do it. I was saying in general districts like commercial, campus, and industrial are going to help you in pretty much any goal you set for yourself. The longer you play and as the game settles you'll need those districts.

Most multiplayer games right now are determined by science and military readiness to quickly get your more technologically advanced units on the field and attack. Any other victory type is not likely in the current structure of multiplayer.

I was wondering how well this guide would apply to Faith fueled Theocracy rush? That would definitely be a situation were you want at least some Holy Sites (if not in all cities), a Religion and maybe beliefs that generate a lot of Faith. The main problem is surviving long enough to reach the Reformed Church civic. Any comments on how districts should be setup for a theocracy rush?

it’s wiser to plant your districts down as soon as you can even if you don’t finish building them. District costs scale up depending on how much techs you’ve already researched. The higher the tech, the higher the production cost. In other words as soon as a district you want is available for you to build you should pick a spot for it and plant it down even if you swap production back to something else you want and you finish the district later. the need for two strategic resources to produce a unit that requires a strategic resource. They also offer static defense, some housing, an earned XP boost to your units, production, and Great General Points. You can also construct a Military Academy here which allows you to produce Cores and Armies which can be fairly game changing.

One thing I'm curious to see addressed is the schism created when the basic mechanics of the base game differ from that of the most popular/pertinent mod. This is a multiplayer district guide, but the most competitive multiplayer is currently being played with NQ, which among other things, changed the cost of districts to scale based on the number of districts of that type previously planted in the empire. And specifically not based on completed techs and civics. This obviously makes the advice quoted above no longer applicable, and beyond that also completely changes the paradigm of always prioritizing districts in the same order.

One thing I'm curious to see addressed is the schism created when the basic mechanics of the base game differ from that of the most popular/pertinent mod. This is a multiplayer district guide, but the most competitive multiplayer is currently being played with NQ, which among other things, changed the cost of districts to scale based on the number of districts of that type previously planted in the empire. And specifically not based on completed techs and civics. This obviously makes the advice quoted above no longer applicable, and beyond that also completely changes the paradigm of always prioritizing districts in the same order.

Is there a ladder by chance for NQ? Tournaments? Or primarily FFA organized in chat? Would love to learn more, I play in the Civ Players League group and it has a ladder and tournaments, but there's surprisingly only 25 people with 5 or more games recorded on the ladder.

I was wondering how well this guide would apply to Faith fueled Theocracy rush? That would definitely be a situation were you want at least some Holy Sites (if not in all cities), a Religion and maybe beliefs that generate a lot of Faith. The main problem is surviving long enough to reach the Reformed Church civic. Any comments on how districts should be setup for a theocracy rush?

Some civs - like Brazil and Japan - probably want to build just a couple of really high-adjacency Holy Sites, and might as well do that early and run the adjacency card. Others may want to found that initial religion with just one Site and get the beliefs they want, but build more Holy Sites and infrastructure only as you get close to Theocracy, for the double-yield from buildings card. There's not that many things (in the absence of a Valetta) to spend faith on before Theocracy anyways, aside from worship buildings, so make it your 4th or 5th district in most cities, after Commercial Hub, Campus, Industrial Zone. If you really want to get to Theocracy fast - you're probably going to have to bite the bullet and build a theatre square somewhere. Perhaps you run the Great Writer card early and produce an Amphitheater Just-In-Time to house the works. If you take Defender of the Faith, you might be able to get away with later or fewer Encampments (assuming you can find 2x iron or 2x horses), unless you are facing a determined Rome 9 tiles away or the like. If you take housing-based beliefs (Religious Community and the Pagoda) they should let you get 3 more pop and fully negate the district limit cost.

Thanks jollywonk for your comments on districts for a Theocracy rush. You are right that most Holy Sites can be delayed and beliefs that provide housing may be better than Faith generating beliefs. Generating enough Faith for the Theocracy rush will be easy as long as one doesn't buy a lot of Great People with Faith.

What server do those players play with NQ mod? I've played several MPs in LA or Asia server but never found NQ mod game there, most games are based on vanilla. I'de love to play with competitive players and learn the civ6 hard way :)

Top Bottom