[NFP] District Projects GPP yield does not scale by speed

Ansive

Prince
I've been testing yesterday and updated the fandom wiki about this.
Projects on fast game speeds are more powerful on fast speeds and worse on slower speeds.
2x (online) - 1.5x (quick) - 1x (standard) - 0.66x (epic) - 0.33x (marathon)

If you start a game in Atomic Era and complete Campus Research Grants you will get 59 scientist points.
You get 59 regardless of game speed. (starting era and project type is just an example)

This is a problem because:
- the project production cost is scaled (135 on online speed, 270 on standard, 405 on epic)
- AND the great person recruitment costs are also scaled (480 points on online speed, 960 on standard, 1440 on epic).

In online speed 43% of production is converted to GPP.
In standard speed 22% of production is converted to GPP.
In epic speed 15% of production is converted to GPP.
Didn't need to test more speeds.

Basically, the formula mentioned in the thread below does not take speed into account (vanilla math still stands)
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/formula-thread.600534/

GPP = D_TYPE * (1 + 7 * DEVELOPMENT_RATIO)
- where D_TYPE is: 10 for most district projects, 5 for Theater Square Performances and Carnival and 30 for Occult Research
- where DEVELOPMENT_RATIO is a number between 0 and 1, equal to the higher of: number of unlocked techs divided by number of techs OR number of unlocked civics divided by number of civics
- no speed in formula

Good to know. The only consolation is that on Marathon (where the impact is worst) you almost always have something else to do with your production anyway ;) Maybe this should be moved to the big section (I know you can debate whether it is technically a bug, but IMO it qualifies as "oversight with bug qualities" :lol: )

In my view, wanting something to function a certain way, and something inherently not functioning correctly, are two different things. Non-speed scaling of a mechanic hasn't really been considered a "bug" by FXS unless something was stated it should scale and didn't. In this instance, the OP is pointing out a mechanic that probably should be changed to scale as part of a balance pass, but I don't believe that in and of itself it's a "bug".

I almost never run projects, while the AI does. So that helps me get more great people on Epic speed.
So, I'm fine with the behavior.
But it's most likely an oversight, like how barb camp gold didn't use to scale.

I notified 2k support, hope it will reach the dev team.. someday.

My biggest pet peeve with projects is how the UI does not clearly specify how much yield a project offers per turn and how many GPP you get by finishing it. I lost hours running the numbers.

Reactions: PiR
Top Bottom