1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

District/Wonder placement on resources

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by S1AL, Aug 13, 2018.

1. S1AL

S1AL Chieftain

I can't find a way to allow district placement on visible resources in SQL, so I'm wondering if there's a way in Lua. Does anyone familiar with that language know?

2. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

The real issue is in the game's DLL, to which we have no access. The lua file that creates the user-interface for placing a district querries the game's DLL source-code for whether or not a district can be placed at plot "X", and only those plots that are returned as being valid from the game's DLL source-code are shown in the interface as being valid spots for the District.

The solution I think other people have used is to make all resources harvestable, and to harvest the resource before placing the district -- but the AI does not really understand this, and even this method of work-around has its own issues.

3. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

@LeeS, if you make the resources harvestable, you don't need to harvest them before plopping down the district or wonder. It works fairly seamlessly IMO.

4. DeepSoul

DeepSoul Chieftain

Why is this a problem? I could build an aqueduct on a wheat resource in my game. I didn't even have to harvest it first, but maybe it depends on what kind of resource it is.

5. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Without mods you cannot remove luxury or strategic resources. Bonus resources, like wheat, can be removed.

DeepSoul likes this.
  6. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

well I always like to get the benefit from a harvest or a chop-down 1st. Of course if you make luxury and strategic resources give no harvesting benefit then there'd be no reason to harvest 1st, but then the issue is whether or not an AI will then waste builder-charges harvesting resources that give no harvest-benefit.

Altho I think the AI would never harvest a strategic or luxury resource, so for them it's prob a moot point whether there's a harvesting benefit.

7. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Ah, I see what you meant!

8. S1AL

S1AL Chieftain

Well that's unfortunate. I'm planning out a fairly extensive mod and I was hoping I'd be able to do that.

Have we gained access to the DLL in previous games in the series? I know our mod tools are incomplete, I'm just not sure to what extent.

9. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

We gained access to the civ5 DLL eventually, but as I understand at about 2+ years after Vanilla I think.
    Civ4 DLL was available I believe from the start, and there was quite extensive DLL modding, but Civ4 was a different animal altogether to Civ5 and so the issue with there only being one DLL mod active at a time was not relevant since as I understand it in Civ4 you could only ever have one mod active at a time.

10. CraigPicard

CraigPicard Chieftain

@LeeS yes in Civ IV you only had one mod active at one time