1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

District zone overlap planning

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Stringer1313, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

I'm confused about the district zone overlap, raised in a different thread. which districts -- and specifically, which buildings -- can have an impact on more than one city---and what is the tile range # of that district/building? (I know the Colisseum can affect all cities within 6 tiles, but what are the other things?

And is there a highlighting function that automatically shows whether a district will cover which tiles so you can visually see it? Or do you have to manually count?

2. Woka

Woka Chieftain

6 tiles from industrial and entertainment district.
    Count manually.

3. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Does the 6-tile benefit coverage also apply to ALL buildings built in the industrial and entertainment districts?

Edit: And also, I assume that the benefits can obviously overlap right? (I.e., if a city is within the 6-tile radius of two industrial districts, it gets the benefits from both districts, stacked)

4. jollywonk

jollywonk Chieftain

It's the 2nd tier and 3rd tier of buildings, the 1st tier have no AOE (area of effect). Yes, it stacks, so thoughtful placement of cities and districts is good.

5. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Sorry, last question --- just to be clear --- does the benefit from the base district itself (i.e., the +1 amenity in entertainment, the adjecncy bonus from the industrial) (not the buildings) also extend 6 tiles?

6. jollywonk

jollywonk Chieftain

Nope. You'll also notice these two districts are the only yield-producing ones that do not have a civic/policy card for doubling the output of their buildings.

7. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Emperor

Got it. Thanks this was super helpful (and would've been good to know before I started randomly placing my industrial/entertainment districts!).

8. jollywonk

jollywonk Chieftain

It's quite a puzzle that can never be perfectly solved. Nothing pains me more than having to place a district on a hill.

To take it to another level, having faced some intense aggressors in multiplayer, I've started placing districts on my front lines with sub-optimal adjacency bonuses just so my ranged units can sit in them and get the +10 strength inside a district or fort promotion. In the end I've decided that bonus is a much bigger deal than +2 gold from a river when most of your gold will come from the double-yield of buildings policy card anyways. There's so many layers to the puzzle; you have to decide on your priorities.

9. mnf

mnf King

Indeed there are always other considerations that may triumph the range bonus.

For single player, I've also once placed my Industrial Zone against the coast with +2 adjacency instead of on the river side with +4 adjacency and a complete disregard for this ranged bonus simply because that particular position would allow me to build both the Venetian Arsenal (for double naval unit production) and the Ruhr Valley (+1 production to all mines and quarries in this city and +30% total production), because that particular city had access to 17 hills (although I only ended up using 10 of them), so the +2 adjacency I lost was a small price to pay for being able to build those two wonders.

jollywonk likes this.
  10. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

What I realized is that if you're trying to max district impact, you have to pack your cities as close together as you can (as opposed to, say, trying to find the spot that maximizes the number of workable tiles). The "perfect" set up would be six cities 4 tiles away from your capital: one full west, one full east, and the other 4 NE, NW, SE and SW. Then the entertainement and manufacturing districts of your capital will reach all 6 surrounding cities, and their districts will reach at least 3 cities each.

Very often, in practice this means you will have to harvest some resources to make rooms for your districts. But as others have mentioned, it all depends on your priorities :)

With Barbarossa, you can get some insane bonuses by having 4 cities stacking their manufacturing and commercial district next to each other.

11. andydtoma

andydtoma Chieftain

Does the AOE ( area of effect ) of a factory touch the cities of an allied neighbor ? I cannot test it right now, but this thought has just come to me, and it haunts me :)
    Otherwise said, could we benefit of the factories of a neighbor ?
    I know that farm adjacencies cross the borders... but that is another story.