Diversica for WoC

mamba

Deity

Diversica 1.50

Links

Diversica 1.50 for BtS 3.19
bugfix 1.50a

Description

Diversica is a module for Civilization IV Beyond the Sword which adds additional graphics and some minor gameplay

changes (new units, techs and resources).

It includes both Ethnically Diverse Units and

Ethnic Citystyles. You can consider it an

alternative to Varietas Delectat.

Diversica uses the WoC Lite dll to ease having

separate installable sub-modules on top of the core mod. All optional sub-modules are included in the download and

can be selected upon installation.

Why Diversica
Spoiler :

When I found Danrell's units I wanted to include them in my game, as there was no module which did so, I created my

own.

As I assume other people also are interested in adding his units easily, I added it here. The module has since

progressed beyond including Danrell's units, the focus remains on civilization-specific units however.

I decided to call the mod Diversica (instead of Diversity) as the word 'diversity' is used frequently, so whoever

is searching for it will find all kinds of unrelated links. Calling it Diversica should solve this.

Why base it on WoC
Spoiler :

The initial focus of Diversica was to add civ-specifc unit graphics and to allow the player to plug and unplug the

changes based on his own preferences. To that end Diversica included information on how to unplug the different

parts. As Diversica grew, technical restrictions of the regular xml format prevented the unplugging of certain

parts.

To overcome this problem and allow for a fully pluggable mod again, I converted Diversica to the WoC xml format and

use an installer which allows the selection of sub-modules.

Diversica is as a stand-alone module which contains the WoC Lite dll.

The present
Spoiler :

America use Zerver's units.

Arabia, Babylon, Byzantium, Carthage, China, England, France, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, Ottoman, Portugal,

Russia and Spain use Danrell's units.

Aztec, Austria (replacement for HRE), Celt, Egypt, Ethiopia, Greece, Inca, Khmer, Korea, Mali, Maya, Mongol,

Persia, Rome, Sumeria and Viking use Bakuel's units.

Sioux (replacement for Native America) uses Bernie14's Sioux units.

Zulu uses Polycrates' units.

Hungary is based on Kabcsi's Magyar civ, uses

Bakuel's units.
Iroquois is based on Bmarnz&Amra's Iroquois,

uses Bernie14's units.
Israel is based on Esnza's PnP Israel 3.0, uses

Bakuel's units.
Nubia is based on CIV Gold's Nubia, uses Bakuel's

units.
Poland is based on Kodzi Team's PnP Poland 1.2,

uses Danrell's units.
Polynesia is based on CIV Gold's Polynesia, uses

Bakuel's units.
Romania is based on Aranor's Romania, uses

Zerver's units.
Safavids, using Danrell's persian units
Siam is based on CIV Gold's Thailand, uses

Zerver's units.
Switzerland is based on Robo Magic's Switzerland

, uses Zerver's units.

EDU 3.14,

Ethnic Citystyles 1.04,

Varietas Delectat 6.10 and

Cultural Diversity 1.10 have been incorprated.

Additional units from Airforces 0.3,

MaxRigaMod BTS 2,

Modern Warfare 1.20 and

Total Realism 2.2 have been added for more

diverse aircrafts and tanks.

Thanks

Thanks go to the creators of the units found at

www.civfanatics.com
, including asioasioasio, Bakuel, bernie14, Chugginator, danrell, Dutchking, GeneralMatt,

Polycrates, sepamu92, snafusmith, TheCoyote and Zerver (and everyone else I forgot) and to NeverMind for the XXL

Worlds xml and python code.

Version history

Spoiler :

For more details, see the history.txt file included with the module.

Version 1.50 :
  • added Bakuel's industrial Aztec units
  • added Bakuel's Celt units
  • added Bakuel's Greece units
  • added Bakuel's Holy Roman units
  • added Bakuel's Hungary units
  • added Bakuel's Israel units
  • added Bakuel's Persia units
  • added Bernie14's industrial Spain units
  • added Bakuel's Viking units
  • added Nubia civ with Bakuel's nubian units
  • added Polynesia civ with Bakuel's polynesian units
  • added Safavid civ with Danrell's persian units

Version 1.20 :
  • added Bakuel's Korea units
  • added Bakuel's Maya units
  • added Bakuel's Sumeria units
  • added latest Zerver's modern units (England)
  • updated Hungary to Kabcsi's Magyar civ 2.0

Version 1.10 :
  • added Bakuel's Aztec units
  • added Bakuel's industrial Ethiopia units
  • added Bakuel's Mongol units
  • added latest Zerver's modern units (China, Hungary, Inca, Siam, Viking)
  • updated to Ethnic Citystyles 1.04
  • updated Hungary to Kabcsi's Magyar civ

Version 1.00 :
  • added Bakuel's Mali industrial units
  • added Bakuel's Ethiopia units
  • added latest Zerver's modern units (Babylon, Byzantium, Carthage, England, Hungary, Israel, Rome)
  • updated Varietas Delectat to 3.60
  • updated to Ethnic Citystyles 1.02 (from Ethnic Artstyles 1.09)
  • initial release for Beyond the Sword 3.17
  • initial release for World of Civilization

Version 0.95 :
  • added Siam civilization with Zerver's units
  • added Bakuel's Inca modern units
  • added latest Zerver's modern units (Greece, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Portugal)
  • added some civilization specific Light Bombers
  • added Wolfshanze's Ballistic Missile Submarine class (and the changes to the regular submarine)
  • updated Cultural Diversity to 1.10
  • updated Varietas Delectat to 3.50
  • updated Actual Quotes to 4.20

Version 0.90 :
  • added units from Chugginator's Cultural Diversity 1.00
  • added Zerver's modern units (China, Hungary, Khmer, Ottoman, Poland, Russia, Spain, Viking)
  • added Zerver's austrian units (as Holy Roman units)
  • added Wolfshanze's Light Bomber unit category
  • updated Zerver's Israel units
  • updated Zerver's Romanian units
  • updated Varietas Delectat to 3.30

Version 0.80 :
  • added Bakuel's Inca units
  • added Bakuel's Mali units
  • added some civilization specific units for Early Bombers, Early Fighters and Early JetFighters
  • added Early Carrier unit class
  • included Wolfshanze's naval categories and promotions
  • major xml rework in anticipation of World of Civilization

Version 0.70 :
  • added Iroquois civilization with Bernie14's units
  • added bonus resources from MarnzMod and GreenMod (non-strategic only)
  • added Early Bomber, Early Fighter, Early JetFighter, JetBomber and StealthFighter unit classes
  • added Early Tank and Halftrack unit classes
  • added Tracked Vehicle, Aeronautics and Jet Engine technologies
  • changed Next War for faster research and later space race
  • included Sevopedia 2.3.2
  • updated Hungary with Zerver's animated leaders
  • updated Varietas Delectat to 3.10
  • updated Total Realism to 2.2.1

Version 0.60 :
  • added Zerver's America units
  • added bernie14's Native America units
  • updated Poland to Polish Empire 1.2
  • updated Hungary with Hungary mod for Varietas Delectat 1.0 units
  • updated Varietas Delectat to 2.00

Version 0.55 :
  • added the Next War technologies and units
  • added Ironclad Warship, Pre-Dreadnought and Dreadnought ship classes
  • added Willowmound's Actual Quotes
  • added XXL World world sizes
  • added Carter's Earth map (for 18 players)

Version 0.51 :
  • added Polycrates' african units
  • added Hungary civilization with Zerver's units
  • initial release for Beyond the Sword 3.13

Version 0.50 :
  • added Polycrates' Zulu units
  • added Israel civilization with Zerver's units
  • added Romania civilization with Zerver's units
  • added Switzerland civilization with Zerver's units
  • added units from Modern Warfare 1.20
  • updated Rome to Bakuel's units
  • updated Poland to Polish Empire 1.1
  • updated Varietas Delectat (formerly keymod) to 1.70

Version 0.40 :
  • added units from Airforces 0.3
  • added units from MaxRigaMod BTS beta 1
  • added units from Total Realism 2.2
  • updated keymod to 1.40

Version 0.30 :
  • added units from keymod 1.30
  • updated Ethnical Artstyles to 1.04

Version 0.20 :
  • added Bakuel's Khmer units
  • added Bakuel's Maya units
  • added Danrell's China units
  • added Danrell's Native America units
  • incorporated Ethnical Artstyles 1.02

Version 0.15 :
  • added Bakuel's Egypt units
  • added Danrell's Japan units
  • incorporated EDU 3.14

Version 0.12 :
  • unified directory structure
  • xml bugfixes

Version 0.10 :
  • added Danrell's Arabia units
  • added Danrell's Babylon units
  • added Danrell's Byzantium units
  • added Danrell's Carthage units
  • added Danrell's England units
  • added Danrell's France units
  • added Danrell's Germany units
  • added Danrell's Greece units
  • added Danrell's Netherlands units
  • added Danrell's Ottoman units
  • added Danrell's Persia units
  • added Danrell's Portugal units
  • added Danrell's Rome units
  • added Danrell's Russia units
  • added Danrell's Spain units
  • added Poland civilization with Danrell's units

I thought it was time to release this, even though the only way to get WoC core 1.00 is through the SVN :)

Nothing wrong with pre-releasing this as the V1.00 Core is set in stone right now....I just want to get more Modules ready to release with the Core.

And great work mamba!!!

Hi Mamba,

After installing Diversica for WoC, as a separate Mod, will I find a Modules directory to which I may add modules from "Unloaded Modules" directory the same way I do with the current SVN version ?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, anything you can add to regular WoC can also be added to Diversica.

The one difference is that the WoC comes with MLF files which already contain the entries for all Unloaded Modules (at least for the ones which were available at the time of its release) whereas Diversica only contains entries for what is included in Diversica. So you probably will have to edit the MLF xml file(s) when adding to Diversica, and you definitely should not overwrite the Diversica MLF files but merge them when necessary. If you need help with that, let me know.

Thanks Mamba,

I'll first need to accomplish the "impossible task", aka: the download from FileFront, then after examining the MLF I'll get back to you for help.

Thanks.

Thanks Mamba,

I'll first need to accomplish the impossible task, aka: the download from FileFront, then after examining the MLF I'll get back to you for help.

Thanks.

Sorry for double posting.

Hello Mamba, finally I got your mod, it looks like I need to
add to the MLF files in the corresponding directories the lines for the add-on modules in the lines between -

<Modules>
<Module>
<Directory>Dynamic City Radius</Directory>
<bLoad>1</bLoad>
</Module>
</Modules>

and then copy the directory "Dynamic City Radius"
to "Game Concepts" under "Modules" directory, for example.

Am I right ? if you approve I'll start migrating my favorite mods, I assume "Civilizations", "LeaderHeads" and "Units\Unique" not included.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Mamba, finally I got your mod, it looks like I need to add to the MLF files in the corresponding directories the lines for the add-on modules in the lines between -

<Modules>
<Module>
<Directory>Dynamic City Radius</Directory>
<bLoad>1</bLoad>
</Module>
</Modules>

and then copy the directory "Dynamic City Radius"
to "Game Concepts" under "Modules" directory, for example.

Am I right ?

Yes, provided the MLF you are changing is the one under Game Concepts. You always need to add the directories you copy to the MLF in the directory you copy the directories to (assuming there is an MLF in that directory to begin with, if there isn't all subdirs will get loaded).

if you approve I'll start migrating my favorite mods, I assume "Civilizations", "LeaderHeads" and "Units\Unique" not included.

This is also true for Civilizations, Leaderheads and Unique Units, as soon as there is an MLF, it determines what gets loaded (any dir not in the MLF will not get loaded).

For civilizations, I actually have two configurations, just regular civs (config MODULE_CIVILIZATIONS_1) and all civilizations (MODULE_CIVILIZATIONS_2). So if you add civs, you should do it in the second configuration (e.g. simply add them at the end of the MLF file).

mamba,

I try put my units into div_woc today (haha I saw Drifa fighting Assault Mech, and Mulcarn fight Behemoth Tank, wowowo~ so cool!).

Later I notice when games starts LOAD XML it takes about 1 minute, that's a bit long to wait for. Is that normal?

Another question is when I try the private map CarterEarth(18BtS).CivBeyondSwordWBSave, it throws a error:
Spoiler :
Assert Failed

File: .\CvGlobals.cpp
Line: 4850
Expression: szType

I have to abort otherwise it will CTD. I tried install again div_woc and it's the same.

Any hint?

Later I notice when games starts LOAD XML it takes about 1 minute, that's a bit long to wait for. Is that normal?

Yes, it is due to all the additional art being loaded. Large mods lead to longer load times ;)

Another question is when I try the private map CarterEarth(18BtS).CivBeyondSwordWBSave, it throws a error:

I have to abort otherwise it will CTD. I tried install again div_woc and it's the same.

Any hint?

Yes, do not play that map ;)

Actually I never tried the maps with WoC, they did (and still do) work with the regular BtS version. This is a problem with the WoC dll and also affects all other maps and the plain WoC core (just tried that), won't be easy to locate I guess.

Reinstalling definitely will not solve this however.

Did some digging, but now I am lost ;)

When loading the map in python (regular BtS script), the script rejects the map (every map), even though regular BtS does not reject it. I have no idea why it rejects it for WoC, esp. since it is the very same script.

I'll see if I can progress from there.

EDIT: no, I can't, I am out of ideas and way out of my area of expertise :(

Once that bug (whatever it actually is) is ironed out, the regular maps should work. So there isn't a need for a map maker (esp. since his maps wouldn't load correctly anyway), just a need for a bugfix.

Yes, GEM 4.0 can work in WoC v1. So GEM new version should also can work if we find the bug later.

But I also think, the more modders adopt WoC modular style(and the earlier they do), the more whole civ society can benifit, isn't it right?

Yes, GEM 4.0 can work in WoC v1. So GEM new version should also can work if we find the bug later.

wait a second, are you saying it works with v 1.00 ? this would be the very first map I tried which does so

But I also think, the more modders adopt WoC modular style(and the earlier they do), the more whole civ society can benifit, isn't it right?

Of course, the more mods use WoC style, the better.

A map by itself is not a mod though and cannot really be modular. Whatever xml parts come with the maps (if any) could for the most part be modular however.

wait a second, are you saying it works with v 1.00 ? this would be the very first map I tried which does so.

Yes, the map comes with WoC .92, in folder:
World of Civilization\Assets\Modules\Scenarios\Giant Earth Map\PrivateMaps
It works in WoC 1.0.

I didn't play full length game yet; only a few rounds and it runs well.

A map by itself is not a mod though and cannot really be modular. Whatever xml parts come with the maps (if any) could for the most part be modular however.

I meant these xml parts. Map makers will sure go further beyond maps and add civs, events, etc. So the earlier they use WoC style, the more whole civ society can benifit.

And WoC is now V1.0; why isn't the team releasing to public? Sure there're bugs to be checked, but more people using can speed up this.

As for WoC maturity, I'm worrying most about the long XML loadding time. This can be a sign of over-complex of mechanism?

Yes, the map comes with WoC .92, in folder:
World of Civilization\Assets\Modules\Scenarios\Giant Earth Map\PrivateMaps
It works in WoC 1.0.

hm, gotta look into what is different about that map then

I meant these xml parts. Map makers will sure go further beyond maps and add civs, events, etc. So the earlier they use WoC style, the more whole civ society can benifit.

agreed

And WoC is now V1.0; why isn't the team releasing to public? Sure there're bugs to be checked, but more people using can speed up this.

I have no idea, if it were my decision to make, I would have released it at least two weeks ago. Originally I intended to wait for their core release before releasing my mod, but I grew tired of waiting (of course I did expect them to release shortly after I did anyway, given that 1.0 core has been sitting there for some days already by the time of my release).

They even said (privately and publicly) that the 1.0 core is finished, so they aren't really checking bugs much, they are converting additional stuff to WoC format, so they can release more than just a core. But imo they already had enough stuff to also offer, and converting more definitions is an ongoing process anyway.

As for WoC maturity, I'm worrying most about the long XML loading time. This can be a sign of over-complex of mechanism?

Yes, xml loading time does increase a bit, many small files take longer to load than a few larger ones, that is just a technical fact of HDs. That is also why FPKed art is loaded about 5 times faster than non-FPKed art (the art is not compressed, just put into one large file).

That is not due to a more complex mechanism though (I guess they do have a bit of an overhead for that as well, but with todays CPUs you imo won't notice, what you do notice is the increased read time it takes for your HD).

In theory you could put all definitions in one file with WoC as well, but if you did, nothing could be easily unplugged (or added to another mod), so you cannot really get around those small files.

Yes, xml loading time does increase a bit, many small files take longer to load than a few larger ones, that is just a technical fact of HDs. That is also why FPKed art is loaded about 5 times faster than non-FPKed art (the art is not compressed, just put into one large file).

That is not due to a more complex mechanism though (I guess they do have a bit of an overhead for that as well, but with todays CPUs you imo won't notice, what you do notice is the increased read time it takes for your HD).

I cannot agree on that. I always see my box busy at load XML stage while HD LED idle(my box is quite new, 8G RAM, run a 64bit OS, disable OS pagefile, so almost everything is cache in RAM after they're read once).

One sign of complexity is dependancy: much more cross checking and step-on calculating are need in WoC than regular XML.

WoC adds much, much more flexibility to the game, in trade of increasing of complexity and overhead. This might be a rule of nature; but if the overhead can easely go beyond the endurance of a regular player, that could mean the project is going too far on flexibility side.

Top Bottom