1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Dividing North America

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by humble serf, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

@Greywulf Overall I'd agree with your list, except personally I'd leave out California, the Arctic, and possibly the Great Basin in favor of additional Northeastern and/or Southeastern tribes. The East was densely populated and comparatively advanced while California was almost as primitive as the Arctic, and the Great Basin had virtually no settled populations.

If the Great Basin were included again, however, I think I'd go with the Shoshone's cousins the Ute just to have someone different. Chief Walkara is the likeliest leader, but Chipeta might be an option for a female leader--she advised her husband Chief Ouray, served as a delegate to Washington, and continued to lead her people after the death of her husband.

TahamiTsunami and Greywulf like this.
  2. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

I still believe that the Inuit would offer a very niche and unique play style, so I personally do not want to rule them out, but I understand. It's very unlikely that we will get representation for each region anyway, so I don't mind reducing that list.

Great suggestion for a female leader too, so thank you for sharing that!

TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  3. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Chieftain

@Greywulf I personally wouldn't mind seeing some of those groups like Inuit only as long as it didn't come at the expense of 1 of the more deserving groups. Regardless, feel free to speculate about how you'd design any of the NA civs. As @humble serf said its what this thread is for!

@Zaarin I've mentioned how I'd want 2 Northeastern (Iroquois and Powhatan) and 2 Northwestern (Tlingit and Nuu Chah Nulth). If you don't mind me asking, who do you have in mind for a 2nd Southeastern civ?

4. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

One could argue that the Inuit are at least as deserving, if not considerably more so, than the Scythians or the Huns. At least the city names would be legitimate Inuit community names as well, rather than borrowed from other civs ~ actually there is quite a long list of names of towns and settlements of the Inuit.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  5. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Chieftain

I had meant 1 of the more deserving NA groups that have been discussed in this topic (like the Tlingit or Choctaw) but I do see your point. I don't think I'd prefer the Inuit over Scythia (despite the issues they admittedly have) but I could see favoring them over the Huns and many of the blob civs that have appeared before. They'd certainly be a much better choice for a North American civ than the blob Native American civ that was in Civ 4! You've definitely got me curious about seeing some Inuit designs.

6. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

Yes, there are other civs I would myself prefer to see first, but I just find niche civs delicious, even if they are a bit obscure or unlikely otherwise. I do think that the Inuit would have been a better choice, and a more interesting choice, than Scythia or the Huns, but the fact that they have added those civs before means that there is a chance for civs like the Inuit to make an appearance...kinda opened the door for a lot of other options.
    But yeah, let's have the Inca and Maya first, and perhaps the Muisca as well.

There's been quite a few interesting designs for the Inuit that have come up over time, and a few of those ended up as mods, but what I like about what they generally do is that they focus on making the snow or ice tiles beneficial in some way, such as providing a little food. Also seen an idea where they get a unique resource of seals to harvest ~ of course, they could add seals for anyone to have access to as well, but we have seen unique resources before, but for CS's.

Here's some links for ye for some of the different ideas that have come up for the Inuit...
    http://civilization-v-customisation.wikia.com/wiki/The_Inuit_(Ekeuhnick) / Civilopedia: https://civ5customization.gamepedia.com/The_Inuit_(Ekeuhnick)/Civilopedia
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105558749
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...tion-igloo-ui-terrain-rebalancing-ect.511260/
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/inuit-civilization.473872/
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/gedemos-civilizations.521722/page-4

They happen to also be one of the most discussed obscure civ ideas, so I think that's very encouraging.

7. Patine

Patine Chieftain

Settlements that are recent renamings in Inuit languages of European or American built "hovel-complexes" to stick the Inuit on in squalid conditions. These aren't the names of old or traditional Inuit settlements, of which no permanent ones existed prior to colonization. That's a problem with the "long list of names of towns and settlements of the Inuit" you're referring to.

8. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

Well that's depressing.