Diving is Worse than Vuvuzelas

This is an international website, and I don't care more of your nationality than of the nationality of any other members.

No, its an American website, that welcomes international members. If you look through the materials on this website you'll notice American English spelling most often, because Thunderfall and this site are based in America.

Thus, the only version of English that may be "enforced" would be international English, and in this regard, the proper word for the sport is "football". You've lost.

No dialect of English is "enforced" here at all, obviously. But the site is based in America and the creator is American and American English spelling is most common on the site's materials. Now of course I'm not arguing that you guys should call it soccer, merely saying that Akka's point makes no sense at all.

I will ask you the same question I asked akka: How old are you to have such a shocking misunderstanding of human language?

Now I can understand that it's pissing to constantly hear people asking you to call a sport in a different way.

If that actually makes you mad, then you are very culturally insular and I feel sorry for you. It doesn't bug me in the slightest to hear it called "football", since I the basic understanding of language to know that it makes no difference at all and means absolutely nothing that different places call it something different.

They call it "Fußball" in Germany. Does that mean the Germans are WRONG? No, they just use a slightly different word for the same thing. Americans use a more different word for the same thing, but that doesn't mean its somehow wrong. Language is not normative in that fashion. It just isn't, end of story.

It is a fundamental and obvious fact about language that different languages and dialects use different words to refer to the same thing. I do not understand how you and akka do not seem to understand that fact.

I mean, this isn't exactly a controversial fact about language... I'm honestly at a loss that people are seriously arguing that calling it soccer is wrong. I can understand if you say so as part of some lame little regional pride thing, but to actually argue for that point is just astounding.

If that actually makes you mad, then you are very culturally insular and I feel sorry for you.
The sentence you're answering to has been written to actually be nice with you. Obviously, you're annoyed that people ask you to call football football instead of soccer. I tried to understand you!

And in doing so, you react in accusing me of being "insular" (what a joke). Well then, I can't do anything for you.

The sentence I was answering to was made to actually be nice with you. Obviously, you're annoyed that people ask you to call football football instead of soccer. I tried to understand you!

And in doing so, you react in accusing me of being "insular" (what a joke). Well then, I can't do anything for you.

What annoys me is when people who seem to be perfectly intelligent, like Akka, totally misunderstand how language works.

There is nothing wrong with an American using American English. It is just a fact that in American English, the sport is called "soccer". Similarly, there is nothing wrong with someone from, say, England calling it "football". Neither of those is more correct than the other, and to think so displays an amazing misunderstanding of how language works.

-It is false that one should always use the term as its used by the highest number of people (if it were true, we'd all speak Mandarin)
-It is false that a word that "says more" about the thing to which it refers is better than a word which "says less". Language is not normative in that way.

Now obviously, its often just a harmless little "regional pride" thing, like how people in America sometimes pointlessly argue over whether "pop" or "soda" is the correct word for carbonated sugary beverage. But when people refuse to admit that its just a silly little regional pride thing, and actually try to argue that "soccer" is incorrect... well that is just amazing.

They call it "Fußball" in Germany. Does that mean the Germans are WRONG?
That is indeed wrong, civilised people spell it "Fussball" :mischief:

Joking aside, I agree with Ziggy. I'm all for a bit of jesting about football/soccer/handegg/whatever in a lighthearted way, but in this thread it has turned way too serious :)

Joking aside, I agree with Ziggy. I'm all for a bit of jesting about football/soccer/handegg/whatever in a lighthearted way, but in this thread it has turned way too serious :)

You have my complete agreement! What is funny is akka trying to act like its more than a little regional pride thing!

Oh come on Fifty Akka wasn't that serious! :lol:
On the other side, John Cleese was very serious. He's probably the one who ruined the thread.

And by the way, football isn't a "regional" name for the game, it's the internationally accepted name for the game, used in all confederations acronym, as well as in FIFA and IFAB, and of course in the laws of the game. :)

And by the way, football isn't a "regional" name for the game, it's the internationally accepted name for the game, used in all confederations acronym, as well as in FIFA and IFAB, and of course in the laws of the game. :)

So you think that the vast majority of people in the world, who do not call it "football", are wrong?

Edit : ah, the moderator have spoken. Too bad, I was enjoying my reply :p

I've decided diving and bad refereeing are good things, because they remind us all that it is just a game and should not be taken too seriously.

Oh come on Fifty Akka wasn't that serious! :lol:
On the other side, John Cleese was very serious. He's probably the one who ruined the thread.

Actually its full name is association football, according to the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA).

"The Annual General Meeting is authorised to discuss and decide on proposed alterations to the Laws of the Game and other relevant matters affecting association football that fall within the remit of the Board."

I'm going to raise eyebrows, but I think it has to be said:

Isn't this WC very much seeing the better teams advancing, in spite of anything?

Thank you Germany? I think you should have a peek in the Rivaldo Award thread :)

But indeed, diving is killing to the game. This is why I am a huge Messi fan. He always tries to continue his action no matter what. Football needs more players like him.

B.S.!!!!!

I've seen him dive many times. ALL players dive.

Against Inter.

Link to video.

Against Atletico

Link to video.

:p I win.

Isn't this WC very much seeing the better teams advancing, in spite of anything?

Yep, although that's probably a bit of a coincidence that the bad ref calls happened in the unbalanced play off games.

I've decided diving and bad refereeing are good things, because they remind us all that it is just a game and should not be taken too seriously.
Just a game. Next thing you'll be saying Civilization is "just a game".

I'll have you know I take my gaming very seriously thank you very much.
B.S.!!!!!

I've seen him dive many times. ALL players dive.
Davids didn't.

Against Inter.

Link to video.

Against Atletico

Link to video.

:p I win.
Ok, I said always, should have said often.

"Inter" eh? I guess I see where your knowledge about diving comes from :)

i will never understand why someone gets annoyed because some other guy doesnt understand how language works.

that's beyond the scope of my empathic abilities.

Paraguay is an inferior team.

Top Bottom