1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dixie Flag

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by FriscoDanconia, Feb 11, 2006.

1. FriscoDanconia

FriscoDanconia Chieftain

2. garric

garric Emperor

Excellent, keep up the good work.

*waits for the liberals to come in here trying to prove once again that the Dixie flag is "racist" or something else like that.*

3. FriscoDanconia

FriscoDanconia Chieftain

Wow, thank you very much. It is very encouraging to get such a good and early reply. Now I'm working on some Star Trek flags just for fun. I wonder what they'll say about Klingons and Romulans :p

4. IamSid

IamSid TheTrueIdiot!

I am liberal and it is freedom of speech... Very good job! I like it a lot.

5. Underseer

Underseer King

Not "racist" so much as "pro-slavery"

Hey, it's still a free country, and if that's what you want to tell the world about yourself, knock yourself out.

6. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Kindly do not politicise the modding threads with such invites for trouble.

7. RogerBacon

RogerBacon King

A very nice mod.

Since you're doing the Star Trek flags, how about the Rebel insignia from Star Wars? I'm thinking of the one the X-Wing pilots wore on their helments. It always reminded me of the insignia for Japan Airlines.

Roger Bacon

8. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Nice work. Would work great for a Civil War mod for those who sought States Rights.

Great job!

9. Crighton

Crighton Emperor

would be good for a north vs south scenario

10. Sagboy

Sagboy Chieftain

You do realize the civil war was fought on states rights versus federal rights dont you. Its a misconception that ignorant people have pertaining to the civil war. Slavary was one of those states rights.

The dixie flag doesnt mean your pro slavery it stood for the states that had suceeded from the union because they felt as if thier own rights were being threatened from the federal goverment.

Damn take a history course.

Nice mod BTW

11. Ploeperpengel

Ploeperpengel academic precarity

Wow Curt I could use your head. >Klick< just taken. Or say is there a Button for this somewhere here? Hope you don't get bad felelings about it.

12. Methos

During my K-12 years all we ever learned was that the Civil War (In truth the War Between the States) was based entirely off of slavery. It wasn't until a took a semester long class focusing on the Civil War that I learned otherwise. Tensions began during the tariff acts of 1828, 1830, and I believe 1832. This was when South Carolina original threatened to succeed. So when South Caroline threated succession again in 1859-60 they were largely ignored. Obviously you all know the rest.

One thing many people don't realise is slavery was not brough up as a war focus until 1863 by President Lincoln. Europe was discussing recognizing the CSA as it's own country, thereby allowing (I believe it was the French) to invade the Union from the north. They had soldiers stationed in Canada prepared for just such an invasion. After the declaration of the war being over slavery Europe changed their minds on recognizing the CSA as its own nation.

So in truth, Lincoln himself used slavery as a politcal maneuver to keep Europe from getting involved.

BTW, Mrs. Lincoln was briefly charged with treason, though they were eventually dropped. She had several brothers who all fought for the CSA and was believed to be passing information to them.

Read up the on War Between the States for thsoe of you who are interested. Its very interesting just how much information the average citizen doesn't know about.

Sorry for the long post.

13. 5cats

5cats Warlord

Not tooo long ;) And quite accurate!
    Esp in that we were all taught a load of crap when we were young (about this, and lots of other stuff too) and now those ideas are firmly rooted in many minds.
    So the Civil War was "about slavery" but not about "ending slavery", just over who would control it's distribution. More importantly, the CW was about politics & money.

edit: Also, like the swastika, demonizing a symbol is a cheap way of avoiding thinking. Context is far more important than a shape or colour. A building built in 1904 that has swastikas in the stonework has nothing to do with nazis! Dang it!

14. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

15. Methos

Please realize, that the concept of States Rights as the CSA wished to follow would not work in our day and time. States Rights was desired due to lack of communication during those times. It was hard to send and receive any information between the capitol of the US and the governors. For this reason the states that succeeded from the Union wished to lessen the powers of the president and grant each states governor more power to make their own decision. Due to lack of communication and distance the succeeded states felt they weren't getting as much attention as the Union states.

In todays time the concept of States Rights isn't needed. With the advent of our communication network there isn't a need, but not in todays time.

IMO during the time of the War Between the States the concept of States Rights was valid.

16. Captain2

Captain2 ಠ_ృ

I know it would be outdated by now but even a modern CSA country would be quite a wonder

17. A Silly Goose

A Silly Goose Goose of Silliness

I was about to post a lengthy (686 words) argument, with the intent to explain the true significance of the agenda held by the founders of the Confederate States of America, and countering the arguments given for "justifying" the seccession of the southern states; however, I realized that this is an inappropriate place for such, and that arguing on the Internet in general is like the Special Olympics anyway.

18. senwiz

senwiz Prince

Excellent mod. :)

And discussion as well. I find it enlightening to find people who, actually, understand the true reasons for the Civil War. It's also interesting that in most textbooks the North won. But, my question has always been... What did they win? In fact, the South lost the war, the North didn't win anything. The South, in fact, lost the ability to decide their own fate, a'la states rights.

19. Iuvavus

Iuvavus Marcomanni Exile

:hatsoff: looks great! (especially with the union cavalry:) )