1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Djinn

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by thomas.berubeg, Sep 25, 2006.

1. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

As you may all know, There are five basic levels of spirits, in order of increasing power: imps, foliots, djinn, afrits and marids. There also exists a variety of subclasses in each level. Above these levels exist more powerful entities, who are only occasionally summoned.

Would it be possible to have many different levels of djinni summoning. (you might specialize your conjurer to summon only djinn, keeping the higher level djinn around for more than one turn alone.

Bartimaus
    Djinn

2. Civkid1991

Civkid1991 in shade of poison trees

Bartimmaus... that was a great book :goodjob:

3. thomas.berubeg

Amazing books

4. Civkid1991

I think it would be pretty cool to have Djinn (genies) and thier sister/brother demons... one think though that i thought was wierd was placing the djinn in the water sphere of magic. Maybe it should be in a diffrent sphere...:hmm:

5. thomas.berubeg

New sphere completely (summoning sphere?) new class of units to summon them too?

6. AlazkanAssassin

AlazkanAssassin Engineer

djin are supposed to be in the metamagic sphere.
    as that sphere isn't in yet, and water needed another summon, the djin was temporaraly switched over.

7. thomas.berubeg

what about a sea serpent for water?

8. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

kael said theres going to be a sea serpent barbarian unit eventually

9. Silverkiss

Silverkiss NekoChan

Yuhulll bring me sea monsters and ill be happy !

Also it will add to the mistery of the seas... And make explorin a tiny little bit harder ! (Unles Kael puts the sea serpent at str 15 or something lol, then it will be a LOT harder lol)

10. Civkid1991

if they are going to have a summon for water then they should have Marid. They are the water djinn :)

11. Kael

Kael Chieftain

Yeap, sea serpent is in the docs, just wating for a model. Djinn is supposed to be a metamagic sphere summon but I borrowed it while we wait for the real water 2 summon (besides the model is to cool to leave out).

At this point Im not to interested in adding more summons, Im more focused on detailing and completing the ones we do have. Its pretty easy to design fast but art takes a lot longer (even with the art team turning out awesome new units every week).

12. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

In the meanwhile, how about some normal barbarian ships spawning in the sea?

13. thomas.berubeg

How does one go about creating new unit art?

14. Civkid1991

I was thinking it would be cool to have demons have names like in bartamaus... so im thinking of wiping up something for it within the next day or 2 (depending on when i get the time). It would be cool to summon a djinn and the realize "hey i just summoned bartamaus... i remember 10 turns back when i used him to slay a hord of orc... good times, good times" :)

15. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

ya, continuity across summons could be fun.. would be funny to see your enemy summon a summon you leveled up and use it against you lol

16. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

my understanding is theres two parts to that. one, making the model and its animations, which seems difficult, but theres tutorials on it, and a free modelling program called Blender which ive used to some good effect, though ive no skill in such. and the second is just editing the dds skins for existing ones, to make more superficial changes (usually just requires a dds converter and a photoshop or image editing program)

that reminds me, does anyone know any free downloadable photoshop programs?

17. Civkid1991

Blender is cool but i think its a bit to complex for beginners... it would be better to use gmax. After using blender for a few days i ended up with "too-many-button-syndrom" (there are a lot of buttons and stuff and its just too much). If you are going to make a simple building or unit then i think it would be best to go with gmax.

18. thomas.berubeg

Do you have any links to any tutorials/downloads (eg Blender)?

19. Civkid1991

Well this is a good tutorial for beginners... it should have the link

20. Endovior

Endovior Chieftain

There ARE normal barbarian ships spawning in the sea. A small fleet of them stranded one of my water-walking mages on an island the size of my fist about a week ago, and I needed to dispatch my armada halfway around the world to rescue him.