1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DLC 04 anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Then the in game leaders of England, India, and the U.S. all speak English :p That does not nullify their distinct identities.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think that, if there's going to be a Macedonia, it's going to be Alexander. He is a popular historical figure and the most famous that Macedonia can claim, with a big personality too. He ticks all the boxes.

It smells of more fan influence to me. Back when Civ V was in development, and it became apparent that it wouldn't have multiple leaders, many people argued that Alexander shouldn't be the representative leader of Greece. Those arguments never really went away, they crop up periodically. I think Firaxis took it to heart and resolved to have Alex leading the faction of his royal origin this time around.

3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I have no problems at all with this. Greece's Ability (Plato's Republic) would not be fitting and he did start out as king of Macedonia. But I'm not opposed to having Macedonia as a separate civ. Alexander is a as good as it gets as a leader choice.

@nzcamel you misunderstood. I have nothing against a language being used by multiple leaders, like English, Australian and the US leaders speaking english. Why Ghandi has lines in english is as of yet unclear to me, but that's a different topic.
    The thing I was referring to is that during Theodora's time, while greek being the language of most of her population, the royal family spoke the official language of the state: latin. This changed a few centuries later during medieval times, when greek was everywhere, not just the everyday language of the population and in church.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  4. Eagle Pursuit

It doesn't bother me either, although I would also be fine with Alex being one of several Greek leaders, but not the sole Greek leader.

5. Dariush.Z

Dariush.Z Chieftain

That's honestly one of the most pointless and unnecessary arguments ever brought up in this game and if people knew history, would've never happened.

See, the region known as Macedonia WAS a part of Greece, so was most of western Anatolia, Turks settled the east and Slavs The west so Alexander was in fact a Greek leader, it's just that where he was born is no longer Greek.

6. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Where he was born (Pella) is in Greece now. In the region called Macedonia, that is part of the modern state Greece. The topic of him being greek is difficult terrain and you won't find lots of scholars clearly stating one or the other (arguments for both sides are easy to find in the abundance of Alexander biographies out there). And honestly, for a game full of 'errors' and compromises when it comes to history, that shouldn't matter. As I said before, a new civ (Macedonia) beats a new leader for an old civ for me (2 new abilities against 1 and more leader variety in a single game without having the same civ twice).

7. Dariush.Z

Dariush.Z Chieftain

But is it a culturally Greek or Slavic region?

And I think there is no difficulty, when did the Slavs migrated to the region? Whoever lived in the area prior(the Greeks) gets the prize if you ask me.

8. Eagle Pursuit

I'm not saying he isn't Greek. My preference is that if a Greek civ has one leader, that it should reflect the Athenian Golden Age, not Alex's time. Athens is 1000x more interesting to me than Alex.

bbbt and Siptah like this.
  9. Dariush.Z

Dariush.Z Chieftain

See, if we want to be honest, there was no unified Greece at the time, There were Greek city states so if we have a Athens or Sparta that would be fine by me too but as far as I know and correct me if I'm wrong Alex represents the entirety of Greece and Greek culture better than everyone else.

10. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Actually what I would like to see happen for that region of the world (around Greece)

Alexander... another leader of the Greek civ
    Some medieval Byzantine emperor...a leader that can lead the Greek OR Roman civs

11. Dariush.Z

Dariush.Z Chieftain

There was a ERE emperor that recaptured and recovered Rome, can't remember the guy's name but that's a great idea actually.

12. Eagle Pursuit

2K qa b updated. It looks like they are still adding things to it, not just replacing files with new versions.

13. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

how can you see that they are adding things?

14. Eagle Pursuit

In the history. When a file is replaced, the line item has a number highlighted in red, then one in green. If it's a new file being added, the whole line item is highlighted in green.

Plus, the adds have a plus sign while replacements have a dot.

When a file is removed and not replaced, the whole line item is red with a minus sign.

vonJahgmann likes this.
  15. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Thanks, I always looked at another screen so far.

Does anyone have a thought on Abbas the Great as Persian leader (safavid Persia would be a dream of mine come true)?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  16. AnonymousSpeed

AnonymousSpeed Pink Plastic Army Man

Hello, I'm fairly new civ speculation and unfamiliar with that term. I didn't find what it meant looking up the term itself, so could you please explain the meaning of it for me?

I think it would be sort of interesting if it wasn't, but that doesn't mean its likely. Civilization 6 has that focus on new and interesting leaders and civilizations, but having Alexander lead Macedon and not Greece is something different enough that it would create a way around that otherwise constant rule. That's also why I wouldn't mind it so much, though I think I'm not alone in saying its not my first or second pick for new civilizations.

17. Eagle Pursuit

2K qa b is one of 4 (a, b, c, d) quality assurance builds used by 2K (Firaxis) to beta test new patches and DLC.

vonJahgmann and Leathaface like this.
  18. AnonymousSpeed

AnonymousSpeed Pink Plastic Army Man

Ah, thank you.

19. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

Imagine Firaxis trolling us and giving us a present day macedonia representation. :goodjob:

20. UkrNixon

UkrNixon Warlord

with Alexander as the leader anyway for ultimate trolling :crazyeye:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.