DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CivCube

Spicy.
I don't care if it's a map pack in the end; this forum is demanding the next, next DLC thread.

You're welcome. What clues can we find in the present code? What hints can we tease out of developers' cryptic tweets? What educated guesses can we make with past release patterns and updates to series of tubes? Battle stations!

I feel we've been too conservative in our past speculations, so, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I'm going to make the bold claim that the next DLC will add the Alien Invaders from XCOM as a civ. Gotta get that inter-game cross-promotion synergy going Firaxis! :lol:

Oh, man. I love you guys. We haven't even had DLC04 for a whole day and you're looking for the next one. If they decide to go for a one-month dev cycle again, we might see a depot by the end of the week.

Although, I suspect things are going to slow down a touch now that the DDE has been fulfilled.

Is this expected to be a full blown expansion or another civilization/scenario/map DLC? I wouldn't mind a map DLC to be honest. I find the map scripts in 6 very limited compared to 5 and 4 with all their content. Add a Terra map and another type of map and a new natural wonder or two and I'd take it for $4.

I'd love a terra map.

Although, I suspect things are going to slow down a touch now that the DDE has been fulfilled.

I think so too. We will have a Patch break.

A Summerpatch in June could be the next one.

I'm speculating that any previously included civs that are currently featured as city-states won't be added until at least XP1.

So that rules out the Dutch, the Celts, the Carthaginians, the Hittites, the Indonesians, the Portuguese, the Mayans, the Koreans and the Swedes.

...which looks suspiciously like a list of XP civs. Although I doubt we'll get the Hittites back. Haven't seen them since Civ3.

Would love a Babylon DLC.

I suspect Korea or some more obscure but requested civ (Hittites?), if only because it was DLC for Civ V as well. But it could be one of the big missing civs like the Mongols, I suppose.

And they need a civ to fill out Africa/Asia/the Americas. So likely a civ from there. ANOTHER European civ at this point would be brazen of them, so I deem it unlikely.

I'm speculating that any previously included civs that are currently featured as city-states won't be added until at least XP1.

So that rules out the Dutch, the Celts, the Carthaginians, the Hittites, the Indonesians, the Portuguese, the Mayans, the Koreans and the Swedes.

...which looks suspiciously like a list of XP civs. Although I doubt we'll get the Hittites back. Haven't seen them since Civ3.

Would love a Babylon DLC.

Why does this speculation keep reappearing when it wasn't true in Civ5, the first Civ to use DLC's, with Seoul being a city-state and Korea being a DLC?

Why does this speculation keep reappearing when it wasn't true in Civ5, the first Civ to use DLC's, with Seoul being a city-state and Korea being a DLC?
I guess simply because CS in civ6 have unique abilities.

I guess simply because CS in civ6 have unique abilities.

Seoul: Free eureka when entering a new era. Very interchangable.
Amsterdam: +1 gold for trade routes for every luxery resource at the destination. Maybe a little bit less interchangable, but still not exactly hard to find one. Cape Town, for example (it was, after all, the main rest point for the Dutch, and I believe also the English, on their way to the East).

The Middle East is already well populated.

My best guess would be the Ottomans or the Mongols. The Ottomans would be more likely as the Mongols would be another conquest focused civ like Macedon, however there's less of a geographical need for them and being Renaissance-focused they would be better off in an expansion that builds up the mid-late game.

Alternatively there might be some kind of exploration DLC pack with the Inca, perhaps the Maya and Isabella as a new leader. That would also come with an obvious scenario, which would have the Aztecs/Inca but wouldn't need the Maya and wouldn't necessarily need a North American civ (just use city states).

The other thought I had was that they're balancing between "big name" civs like Persia and civs that represent the consumer base, like Poland and Australia. I see 2k's fingerprints all over the latter.

So if we're getting big names, I'd expect Mongols, Babylon, Ottomans, etc.

But for consumer representative civs, we may be getting Korea, Sweden, Canada and the Dutch.

A thought:
This one is called the Spring Patch, which tends to indicate that there won't be any more until summer (June 20th in the US), unless they call it something funky like they did with the Australian Summer patch (Zulu Autumn, anyone?).

Plus, even if they started next week, it's pretty unlikely that another patch/DLC will come out in April. So I predict April no chance, May unlikely, end of June likely.

A thought:
This one is called the Spring Patch, which tends to indicate that there won't be any more until summer (June 20th in the US), unless they call it something funky like they did with the Australian Summer patch (Zulu Autumn, anyone?).

Plus, even if they started next week, it's pretty unlikely that another patch/DLC will come out in April. So I predict April no chance, May unlikely, end of June likely.

Mid-June would be a nice birthday present. My birthday is a Wednesday, so it's not out of the question.

Korea was released in August 2011. Gods & Kings was announced mid-March 2012 and released three months later. I don't know if we really have much of a comparison other than if the first expansion is in June, it would have been announced by now.

On the other hand, they could follow BNW and release in early July, meaning an announcement in April.

The other thought I had was that they're balancing between "big name" civs like Persia and civs that represent the consumer base, like Poland and Australia. I see 2k's fingerprints all over the latter.

So if we're getting big names, I'd expect Mongols, Babylon, Ottomans, etc.

But for consumer representative civs, we may be getting Korea, Sweden, Canada and the Dutch.

I highly doubt that they are making any DLC based on single market targeting (besdies the fact there are plenty of other non-gameplay and non-marketing reasons like Firaxis has quite a few Polish team members if I am not mistaken and Australia has been a top community civ for a long time).

In fact, I doubt that incremental DLC users are ever a focal point. I can't imagine the non-DLC buying market is robust enough to warrant that kind of marketing. Most users are likely all or nothing users. They want to complete their set and buy all the DLC or they don't buy any. Targeting a subset of a subset of a subset just isn't that helpful so I can't see it being "ordered" on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom