DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's somebody on Steam Discussion with an interesting idea supporting the inclusion of Indonesia.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/1327844097113490753/?ctp=13#c2592234299533969815

Basically, the TSL map has a ready-made start position for Indonesia. It would be interesting to apply that logic to Africa and see which area of the continent looks ready-made for a start, other than Kongo and Egypt.
Maybe a map displaying the start location of all city-states and empires should be made to make this easier for future Civs as well

Maybe a map displaying the start location of all city-states and empires should be made to make this easier for future Civs as well

The poster also comments on the unusual size of Borneo and availability of luxury resources as evidence of the appropriateness of the Indonesia spot.

I don't play earth maps, so I don't know how it stacks up vs. existing starting spots. But both space and resource availability would seem to be indicators.

They did the same thing with France. CdM has light blue with cream, but the menu icon is royal blue with yellow.
I forgot about that one! I had noticed it and questioned CdM butI passed off the colour difference due to the blue background of the main menu making it look a little different in comparison.

a) for some reason Kongo starts a bit too far south and thus makes a TSL start for Zulus suboptimal
b) Mali would be rather close to Kumasi
c) Ethiopia would have room to expand, Egypt is not too far away in the north though. The nile is on the map and I think a luxury as well.
d) Morocco and Carthage would have more space in Africa, but would be close to Spain and Rome, iirc I founded a city in what would be Tangiers in my games because of the nice strategic location and nearby luxuries.

I have never played a TSL game, so I checked it out. I used this TSL guide theory to see what might happen.

1) Kongo may start close to a presumed location for the Zulu, but that isn't an impediment. I tried a Sumeria start, and the Persian settler was literally on my border. And Zulu would obviously want to eat Kongo for an appetizer. South Africa would be a great start location.
2) Presumably, close city-states would be blocked. Huttusa didn't appear in my Sumeria start, and since they start as settlers too, they would have to shove off and settle some other place. That being said, the area of Mali was of little interest for luxuries or other resources. They just don't have much Sahel there. Kumasi could get replaced though. It's spot wasn't bad.
3) Ethiopia/Nubia/Kush is a good spot. There were two luxuries nearby, plus iron.
4) Tangier is a good spot, as is Carthage, which could be upgraded to a civ as we know Jakarta will be. Morocco is a possibility
5) Madagascar would be problematic. There's no luxury or iron there, but Tsingy is. And working tiles around Tsingy would move you pretty fast through the early tech tree to get embarkation to spread off the island. They might block Zanzibar from spawning if Madagascar were in the game.
6) Zanzibar has a lovely spot as well, but I don't see them getting replaced with such a distinctive suzerainty bonus.

So, based on this theory, it would look like Zulu, Ethiopia, Ashanti, Morocco, or Carthage. Mali (also Ghana, Songhai) is devoid of resources. The several small empires that occurred in and around the gold coast are unlikely except Ashanti. Madagascar is possible, but unlikely.

Not that I necessarily buy into this theory, but it is an interesting approach. Firaxis could easily modify the TSL map to fit any new civ in by adding or moving luxuries and bonus resources. If they were to bring back the Gold luxury, it would probably make the Mali region far more intriguing.

I have never played a TSL game, so I checked it out. I used this TSL guide theory to see what might happen.

1) Kongo may start close to a presumed location for the Zulu, but that isn't an impediment. I tried a Sumeria start, and the Persian settler was literally on my border. And Zulu would obviously want to eat Kongo for an appetizer. South Africa would be a great start location.
2) Presumably, close city-states would be blocked. Huttusa didn't appear in my Sumeria start, and since they start as settlers too, they would have to shove off and settle some other place. That being said, the area of Mali was of little interest for luxuries or other resources. They just don't have much Sahel there. Kumasi could get replaced though. It's spot wasn't bad.
3) Ethiopia/Nubia/Kush is a good spot. There were two luxuries nearby, plus iron.
4) Tangier is a good spot, as is Carthage, which could be upgraded to a civ as we know Jakarta will be. Morocco is a possibility
5) Madagascar would be problematic. There's no luxury or iron there, but Tsingy is. And working tiles around Tsingy would move you pretty fast through the early tech tree to get embarkation to spread off the island. They might block Zanzibar from spawning if Madagascar were in the game.
6) Zanzibar has a lovely spot as well, but I don't see them getting replaced with such a distinctive suzerainty bonus.

So, based on this theory, it would look like Zulu, Ethiopia, Ashanti, Morocco, or Carthage. Mali (also Ghana, Songhai) is devoid of resources. The several small empires that occurred in and around the gold coast are unlikely except Ashanti. Madagascar is possible, but unlikely.

Not that I necessarily buy into this theory, but it is an interesting approach. Firaxis could easily modify the TSL map to fit any new civ in by adding or moving luxuries and bonus resources. If they were to bring back the Gold luxury, it would probably make the Mali region far more intriguing.

Do you think it would be possible for them to add in Gold for the update with the African civ just to make that area more fertile?

Have they ever done this or something similar in the past aside from natural wonders, world wonders, or city states?
Not in a DLC. They added a bunch of resources in both expansions of Civ V, and Bison were added in a patch.

Here's somebody on Steam Discussion with an interesting idea supporting the inclusion of Indonesia.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/1327844097113490753/?ctp=13#c2592234299533969815

Basically, the TSL map has a ready-made start position for Indonesia. It would be interesting to apply that logic to Africa and see which area of the continent looks ready-made for a start, other than Kongo and Egypt.
(Credit to Drew Durnil)

It's quite ready for Indonesian civs based on Sumatra or Borneo Island. The best one is Malays empire of Srivijaya. They can build the capital on Sumatra and colonizing Borneo and Indochina as they did historically.
The other civs such as Java and Makassar will be suffocated by their two tiles island.

And if the Gold luxury is a thing, they can add it to Sumatra Island. The Indian calls it the golden island (Suvarnadvipa) for a reason.

==========
When I'm uploading the above picture to my imgur, I notices that I have this amazing pics of Indonesian Sultanates' naval warfare, just sitting there and forgotten. :lol:
Spoiler Indonesian Naval Warfare :

You can spotted the swivel-gun aka Lantaka in Banten's and Madura's galleys.

unless of course that ability is folded into the main civ

Technically, Civ VI already has gold under the Australian Gold Rush Scenario. It would be easy to add it to DLC's and have it as an actual resource in the game.

Technically, Civ VI already has gold under the Australian Gold Rush Scenario. It would be easy to add it to DLC's and have it as an actual resource in the game.
There's a mod on the steam workshop that adds the gold resource, and it's one of the most popular mods. I have no idea why firaxis didn't add the gold resource along with the Australian summer patch.

(Credit to Drew Durnil)

It's quite ready for Indonesian civs based on Sumatra or Borneo Island. The best one is Malays empire of Srivijaya. They can build the capital on Sumatra and colonizing Borneo and Indochina as they did historically.
The other civs such as Java and Makassar will be suffocated by their two tiles island.

And if the Gold luxury is a thing, they can add it to Sumatra Island. The Indian calls it the golden island (Suvarnadvipa) for a reason.

==========
When I'm uploading the above picture to my imgur, I notices that I have this amazing pics of Indonesian Sultanates' naval warfare, just sitting there and forgotten. :lol:
Spoiler Indonesian Naval Warfare :

You can spotted the swivel-gun aka Lantaka in Banten's and Madura's galleys.

It may be that Indonesia will get some kind of unique abilities that help them on very small islands, beyond what Japan, England, and Australia can muster.

Maybe they didn't add gold because an upcoming civ has a special relationship to it. I mean, we have no clue about the African civ, only guesswork. And the word Nubia is potentially derived from the Egyptian word nbw which means gold. Maybe they'll have the ability to generate gold by building ordinary mines and can sell it as a luxury to others? Would make sense historically. And since Firaxis knew they'll be released soon, they didn't add the gold to the normal game.

Last edited:
Not in a DLC. They added a bunch of resources in both expansions of Civ V, and Bison were added in a patch.

Stone was added in one of the first CIV V patches also.

Hmm, someone suggested Ethopia with Queen Gudit a while back, and I'm sort of liking the sound of that.

I was pretty certain it would be Mansu Musa, but now I'm second guessing between this TSL theory, and the fact that I'm guessing Firaxis will make one of the three new leaders female.

Hmm, someone suggested Ethopia with Queen Gudit a while back, and I'm sort of liking the sound of that.

I was pretty certain it would be Mansu Musa, but now I'm second guessing between this TSL theory, and the fact that I'm guessing Firaxis will make one of the three new leaders female.

I think the TSL theory should be taken with a grain of salt. There's no reason they couldn't alter the TSL map for any choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom