DLC 05 anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by CivCube, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

Where's Worldbuilder? Am I missing something?

Next Patch will definitely be either the Argos, Corinthian or Aechean civilizations - or firaxis could go wa-ay out on a limb and give us Minoa. :D

2. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Or - god forbid - Syracuse.

3. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

You're comparing two very different games here...

While I love Crusader Kings 2, it's a different game entirely due to it's roleplaying capabilities, therefore it has a lot more potential than the Civ series and its Empire build focus.

4. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

I'm not really comparing the games themselves, per se.

Just saying that 2K could maybe take a lesson from Paradox's marketing model. They're very good at keeping fans interested with a steady stream of content, a possibility which is not outside of 2K's reach as a publisher.

Rup and nzcamel like this.
  5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

In the "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished" category:

Given how often Paradox is praised (by some) for its constant stream of DLCs and dev diaries, it's ironic to see the hate mail that Paradox is getting for "letting" its Hearts of Iron IV team take a month off from posting dev diaries, which is being cited as "proof" that Paradox knows that HOI4 is a "failing game" and is silently withdrawing support. As is the case with many things in life, once a developer or publisher habituates its customer base to expect something "extra", they get pilloried when they fail to deliver that "extra."

whyidie, soundwaveuk, nzcamel and 3 others like this.
  6. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

That's really sad. The fans should consider themselves lucky to have gotten such a high level of interaction from the devs in the first place.

soundwaveuk, Babri, Rup and 5 others like this.
  7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

You would think so, but every time they post a dev diary about some new game feature or UI change they get blasted (by some) for misplaced priorities and for failing to "fix the brain-dead AI" (seems Civ VI is not the only game being criticized for AI programming challenges).

Babri, c4c6, nzcamel and 1 other person like this.
  8. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

I haven't tried HOI4, but EU4 and CK2 are both solid games that only get better with each patch, DLC or XP.

People should understand that some things, like reworked AI, are much more long term projects. It doesn't even compare to a small content pack DLC.

nzcamel likes this.
  9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm still not expecting to see anything new on the DLC front for a while, but I do see evidence that they are working on something.

They just updated the beta-test build of the Dev Tools.

RohirrimElf, CivCube and Piruparka like this.
  10. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

The worldbuilder everyone is asking for, perhaps?

11. Eagle Pursuit

There's really no way to tell at this time. I'm just heartened to see new functionality added to the dev tools.

Katakanja likes this.
  12. FishPls

FishPls Chieftain

Well, I've been silent for some time now. Still waiting for the Linux patch of Alexander / Cyrus to hit, hopefully that'll happen sooner rather than later.

But anyway, in my last post I promised to set up a place where people can view the diff's (both the binary string diffs that I generate as well as the .lua / .xml-file diffs).

Well, I've delivered on my promises. Spent the last couple of hours setting up a git repository, tracking the correct stuff and then uploading that to GitLab.com. Initially I tried to use GitHub, as it's the more popular site, but turns out that GitHub only allows max 100 mb file uploads. GitLab doesn't have this restriction, and seeing as there's an over 300 MB file in the repository, it made sense to upload there.

Anyway, here's the repository. https://gitlab.com/FishPls/civ6dumps

For those not very familiar with GitHub / GitLab, they're pretty cool things. I initially committed the Pre-Australian Summer patch contents that I had, so that is the base we are comparing to. The second commit is the Australian Summer patch contents. So, by going to "Commits" ( https://gitlab.com/FishPls/civ6dumps/commits/master ), you can see the commit I named "Australia patch dumps" there. If you click on that ( https://gitlab.com/FishPls/civ6dumps/commit/b17680ae64cc73de896939f33ff267164352f397 ) (beware, quite large page opening, may take quite a while to load) you can see every change that Firaxis (or possibly Aspyr) made in the Australian Summer patch in the .lua, .xml and .txt (.txt are mainly the binary string dumps I generated) files in the Steam installation of Civ 6.

Scrolling down on that commit page, it should quickly become obvious how these changes are viewed. Green / "+"-lines means additions, whereas red / "-"-lines mean deletions.

It is entirely possible that Firaxis may have leaked something indicative of the next patch that we haven't found yet, and this is a pretty good way to try and find any code hints.

Also, remember how I tried to upload the huge libgamecore_base string dumps but couldn't due to the large size? It's found there in the repository now, from https://gitlab.com/FishPls/civ6dumps you can open it by clicking on "libGameCore_Base.so.txt" (or just clicking this link here https://gitlab.com/FishPls/civ6dumps/raw/master/libGameCore_Base.so.txt ). Beware, that file truly is huge.

I'll be sure to perform the same operation once the Spring 2017 patch lands for Linux, I'll link the commit here when that happens.

(Also, if anyone thinks there are more interesting things on top of .xml and .lua files, feel free to tell me. It's just a matter of simple changes in the .gitignore file https://gitlab.com/FishPls/civ6dumps/blob/master/.gitignore ) :)

13. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Two new DLC, set in Sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia!

What's that you say? Those XPs are for Age of Empires II, not Civilization VI? It's just wishful thinking on my part?

Well, if AoE2 is getting expansions like this even though it came out way back in 1999, then surely Civ6 will have expansions with similar content, since it only came out last fall.

Right, Firaxis? Right, 2K?

14. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Don't forget about Age of Mythology having the Chinese expansion approximately one decade after the base game was released.

15. Piruparka

Piruparka Prince

@Eagle Pursuit Any news? Especially about a DLC5 container? But also, were there any recent changes to the dev tools after you mentioned the previous one?

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  16. Eagle Pursuit

Nothing to report. I don't expect to see anything this month aside from DLC04 and patch coming out for Mac and Linux with cross-platform multiplayer capability. If any preliminary indicators for DLC05 appear, it would probably be towards the end of the month.

17. blasto

blasto Prince

the worldbuilder is already out. you have to enable it and then it'll show on the "additional content" area

18. Piruparka

Piruparka Prince

Well erm how do I enable it?

Katakanja and Leyrann like this.
  19. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Perhaps try entering the Konami code? :lol:

Or maybe its a DIY worldbuilder and you have to draw a bunch of hexagons on a piece of paper and then stick it over your PC monitor!

20. blasto

blasto Prince

1. Open file Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI/AppOptions.txt
    2. find
      Code:
      ;Enable WorldBuilder.
      EnableWorldBuilder 0
    3. Change to
      Code:
      ;Enable WorldBuilder.
      EnableWorldBuilder 1
    4. Save change to the file
    5. Start the game and enter the Additional Content menu
    6. The WorldBuilder button should now be available

DiffSarit and MaximusPlatypus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.