DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah, typical Americans, you fought to win your independence from us Europeans just so you could slack off! Get back to work and give us our videyagame DLCs! :whipped::king:
Au contraire! I would love to have the ~30 days off most Europeans seem to enjoy! Most in the US only get around 10 and that is also used for sick days. But for development of Civilization content I am much happier with the American model ;)

What shall I say... Law in the Netherlands requires companies to allow at least 20 days (4 work weeks) off per year. Not sure how it works in regards to paid/not paid (I only reached the level Student so far), but considering you have to put the allowed days off in the contract anyways they could just adjust the pay for that if they count as paid days off. I believe they're not paid, however, but that sick days do count as paid days, though then there's additional laws for if someone is ill a lot and stuff.

Laws laws laws.

Sometimes, I tell myself that instead of celebrating Independece day, americans are all celebrating my birthday :p

No dude, you get it wrong.
it's well known that we are celebrating How we survived alien attack. Twice!!! Thanks to will Smith and son

I know I have a certain amount of PTO per year that expires at the end of the year, but I honestly cannot say if it's paid or not. Unused vacation time is applied to next year's PTO (I got 8 hours added due to the 4th, amusing with our thrice weekly 12 hour shifts). I just started here, so I should probably clarify how that works soon. If it's unpaid, I would rather just let it expire tbh, I need the money.

Happy American Independence Day to all (It is July 4th here in the Philippines, we celebrate Filipino-American Friendship Day)
Now if I could just convince my fellow Americans to celebrate it the old fashioned American way by throwing tea in the harbor instead of explody things. :p I hate fireworks. Especially at three o'clock in the morning. -_-

Firaxis may have well been closed on July 3rd for a holiday - my company gave us both the 3rd and 4th off, and it's just a giant generic corporate entity. Tech companies tend to be more liberal about that sort of thing, but I'm not sure if that holds true for the gaming industry, as they tend to be the part of tech that doesn't have trouble attracting employees (cause people want to work in the games industry).

The US has no legal requirement to offer vacation leave, it's up to the individual companies. At least on a federal level, different states have different laws in that regard. I'd say most 'white collar' jobs have some sort of vacation leave. Most service industry jobs probably wouldn't, except maybe for managers (there are exceptions - I know Costco for instance has a great reputation in terms of salary/health insurance/vacation leave for all their workers).

Even if a company offers vacation leave, there's no guarantee they'll let you take the time off (it's often up to the individual managers). I've never personally encountered a problem with this, but it's one of those things you hear about.

Firaxis may have well been closed on July 3rd for a holiday - my company gave us both the 3rd and 4th off, and it's just a giant generic corporate entity. Tech companies tend to be more liberal about that sort of thing, but I'm not sure if that holds true for the gaming industry, as they tend to be the part of tech that doesn't have trouble attracting employees (cause people want to work in the games industry).

The US has no legal requirement to offer vacation leave, it's up to the individual companies. At least on a federal level, different states have different laws in that regard. I'd say most 'white collar' jobs have some sort of vacation leave. Most service industry jobs probably wouldn't, except maybe for managers (there are exceptions - I know Costco for instance has a great reputation in terms of salary/health insurance/vacation leave for all their workers).

Even if a company offers vacation leave, there's no guarantee they'll let you take the time off (it's often up to the individual managers). I've never personally encountered a problem with this, but it's one of those things you hear about.

I only saw one tweet yesterday from a Firaxis employee, and he was apparently off for the day. They are definitely off today.

I worked yesterday (and overtime) because people in my profession for some reason feel obligated to overwork despite average to below average pay, but it seemed like virtually every other non-service industry 'white collar' job had off. Parking lot was empty.

I know I have a certain amount of PTO per year that expires at the end of the year, but I honestly cannot say if it's paid or not. Unused vacation time is applied to next year's PTO (I got 8 hours added due to the 4th, amusing with our thrice weekly 12 hour shifts). I just started here, so I should probably clarify how that works soon. If it's unpaid, I would rather just let it expire tbh, I need the money.
I believe PTO typically refers to paid time off, so you should be good. And having a set number of unpaid time off days doesn't seem like much of a benefit!

Practices vary, so I would clarify yours. Many US companies don't allow any carry-over to the next year and don't pay anything for unused PTO. My husband's used to allow a few days carry-over but stopped allowing it a few years ago (and no pay for unused time). His manager allows a couple of days informal carry-over (during which HR assumes he's "working from home").

Yeah, well on Canada Day we don't do anything in the US, mostly cause we don't know/care that it's a thing.

(On the real, however, I've been told you guys really outdo us on fireworks- a comparison from one year of Vancouver (not even your capital) to D.C. was ridiculously slanted in your favor.)

In Canada, we celebrate July 4th by burning a miniature version of the White House, cause, you know...
In the UK, we celebrate 4th of July praising the colonising of Australia which America oh so kindly caused us to do. (And they turned out so good they appear in Civ6! Yay!)

In the UK, we celebrate 4th of July praising the colonising of Australia which America oh so kindly caused us to do. (And they turned out so good they appear in Civ6! Yay!)
And by "colonized" you mean you found some land on the opposite end of the world and used it as your jail. :p

In Australia we celebrate 4th of July by getting absolutely pissed. We then celebrate the 5th of July the same way. Then, what do you know, 6th of July!! WOO GET PISSED!! And so on.
It's probably why we aren't a very productive nation...

2017 Marks the 409th anniversary of the founding of Quebec City and the 150th anniversary of the founding of the Dominion of Canada.

Canada and the USA both celebrate major holidays at roughly the same time.

June 24th - St. Jean Baptiste Day
July 1st - Canada Day (celebrating the beginning of the Canadian dominion state)
July 3rd - anniversary of the founding of Quebec City (founded July 3rd 1608)
July 4th - American Independence Day

Both nations also have national anthems derived from their adversaries. O Canada is a French song, while Star Spangled Banner is based on an old English drinking song.

I'm still working on vanilla achievements, waiting for the first four DLC to go on sale and enjoying the hype for the next DLC.

Finished a game as Harald yesterday, got not only the achievement for winning as him, but also activated Darwin in the Galapagos and airlifted a level 3 slinger.

Just started a huge marathon pangea game as Peter. I've already won as him, but I'm hoping to get the 60 tile trade route and the pizza party achievements. I've put four Teddy's in the game to better my chances of having a New York to capture. In the unlikely event I finally find the continent of Nena, I could potentially get three of the rarest vanilla achievements in one game.
Meanwhile, I'm celebrating by getting both the trans-Siberian railway and pizza party achievements on the same day (and within 15 turns of each other). No Nena in sight, though.

Only 20 more vanilla achievements to go....

Meanwhile, I'm celebrating by getting both the trans-Siberian railway and pizza party achievements on the same day (and within 15 turns of each other). No Nena in sight, though.

If you're interested, I have a seed and settings with the Nena continent. Shared it on Reddit a while ago, as it took me nearly 30 reloads to find it. (More difficult without a restart button).

If you're interested, I have a seed and settings with the Nena continent. Shared it on Reddit a while ago, as it took me nearly 30 reloads to find it. (More difficult without a restart button).
Thanks, I'll let you know if I give up finding it myself :D

I have all but 3 Achivments, the only ones I dont have are Diety difficulty Achivements for the Vikings, Polish and Alexander scenarios (Australia's Diety achivement was super easy as I am an economic player)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom