1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DLC 05 anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by CivCube, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

History of German leaders in Civ:

Civ1: Frederick II (Prussia)
    Civ2: Frederick II (HRE) and Maria Theresa
    Civ3: Bismarck
    Civ4: Frederick II (Prussia) and Bismarck
    Civ5: Bismarck
    Civ6: Frederick I (HRE)

Edit: forgot to include MT in Civ2

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. UkrNixon

UkrNixon Warlord

I'm pretty sure Civ2 had Barbarossa as male leader and Maria Theresa of Austria as female leader

3. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

I forgot to include Maria Theresa. I'll go back and correct that. The male leader was simply listed as Frederick (without numeral), but the portrait was of the beardless Frederick II, rather than his grandfather.

The portrait they used was based on this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fre...mperor#/media/File:Frederick_II_and_eagle.jpg

Made me think that they might have intended Frederick II of Prussia as before in Civ1, but that when someone was looking for pictures of Fred II, they may have conflated the two monarchs.

Just a hunch.

nzcamel likes this.
  4. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Why not both St. Peter and Sistine Chapel? I mean, it's close to one another, but so are the Pantheon, Colloseum, Circus Maximus (has that one ever been a World Wonder?), etc. All within a circle with a 5 km radius, more or less. Walking distance, at least.

I think Frederick the Great would be a great leader to have in the game. And just imagine how the community would react if we'd have "two Germanies" (which is how most people would feel about adding Prussia to the game).

nzcamel likes this.
  5. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Well, ya know, with England, and the U.S. you've already got three Germanies ;) lol.

Siptah likes this.
  6. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Civ4 gave us 3 USAs, 3 Englands, 3 Frances and 3 Russias but only two Germanys, unless you count that odd HRE civ, which you technically could.

Brings up the question of how to bring back Charlemagne. Both France and Germany would want him as a leader.

Might be better to have a separate Frankish civ, a la Macedon. (Although European civs are very low on the priority list right now.)

CivLuvah and nzcamel like this.
  7. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Well if we take that line of reasoning to its logical limit, wouldn't it be more correct to say we have 23 Mesopotamian/Indus Valley civs? :p

c4c6 and nzcamel like this.
  8. Magil

Magil Monarch

The Production Queue included in CQUI is actually not very good, at least not in combination with other mods. It doesn't play well with MaxPlayerInstances or mutually exclusive buildings (it seems hard-coded to only affect those in the base game and acts really weird if you add any more). I'd much rather there was an official Firaxis production queue if only so it could be taken as a baseline for what works and doesn't in terms of mods.

c4c6 likes this.
  9. nzcamel

Kinda....? Mesopotamian/Indus Valley/Yellow River...?

It's not quite the same! I love laughing about the world wars and how it was Germany v Germany.

10. Spirit7609

Spirit7609 Chieftain

I get the "House of Hannover => England" connection but why the U.S.?

11. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

There's already five Civs that have leaders speak a Germanic language: Australia, England, Germany, Norway, and the United States (six if counting India who speaks a Germanic language in some lines)

nzcamel likes this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

English is a Germanic language. Therefore, any anglophonic nation is apparently German by degrees in that line of thinking.

13. nzcamel

That, and more Americans have German ancestory than British.

God of Kings likes this.
  14. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

nzcamel likes this.
  15. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Yes, there is a very large percentage of Americans with German descent. I will point out one small caveat; some modern American descendants of early British colonists tend to dissociate their heritage as coming from the British Isles in prior centuries.

Note that the next highest category after "English" in that listing is simply "American." What exactly is that supposed to mean? I expect that a considerable percentage of people in that category ought to be listed under English.

16. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I had the original Production Queue mod enabled and it worked splendidly. Just last night I downloaded CQUI and disabled the Production Queue mod (since CQUI incorporates it), but the queue wouldn't work for me in-game. So I disabled CQUI and re-enabled the Production Queue mod.

17. nzcamel

The majority who refer to their ancestry as 'American' live in areas (i.e. the north of "the south") that cannot be said to be the same areas that 'early British colonists' were commonly associated with.
    I think it's a fair assumption that a large percentage of them will have British or Irish heritage. But equally they could have other European heritage too.

18. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

In my own case, I have documented ancestors from England and Scotland (but apparently none after the early 1700s), Germany, France, Ireland, and Luxembourg (and a murky crew who may have been Dutch, or maybe just more Germans). I regard myself as a European "mutt" or "mongrel" who is perfectly happy to respond "just American" when asked this sort of question (although I don't recall this question on the 2010 census or how I might have responded).

19. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

Wouldn't that make England about as much Roman as German though? The structure is mostly Germanic, but there are a lot of English words coming from Latin.

Which would mean we'd have Rome, France, England, the USA and Australia for a total of five Roman civs.

Of course, Rome was built by descendants of Troy, who were, I believe, Greek. So really, we have those five plus Greece1, Greece2, Macedon and Egypt for a total of 9 Greek civs. And that's only counting direct succession.

EDIT: And guess what, I forgot Spain and Brazil. Make that seven and eleven respectively.

20. nzcamel

You can only take it so far. I mean sure, we're generalising, and there's plenty of shades of grey; but... Romans never moved to Britain in the kind of numbers that Germans did.

And yes, English has Latin and French words aplenty; but it is a Germanic language to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.