DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can only take it so far. I mean sure, we're generalising, and there's plenty of shades of grey; but... Romans never moved to Britain in the kind of numbers that Germans did.

I actually thought it was the other way around... I'm not an expert though, so I might very well be wrong. Compared to most people here I'm very much a casual though I do enjoy reading and posting on forums a lot which might make me seem a lot more involved.

Wouldn't that make England about as much Roman as German though? The structure is mostly Germanic, but there are a lot of English words coming from Latin.

Which would mean we'd have Rome, France, England, the USA and Australia for a total of five Roman civs.

Of course, Rome was built by descendants of Troy, who were, I believe, Greek. So really, we have those five plus Greece1, Greece2, Macedon and Egypt for a total of 9 Greek civs. And that's only counting direct succession.

English is still mostly Germanic in vocabulary, despite the abundance of loan words from French and Latin.

Curiously, the majority of the English are genetically more similar to their Welsh neighbors than Germans. In that poorly documented era after the Roman legions fled, the Anglo-Saxons arrived with enough might to overturn language and religion, but not displace the population.

English is still mostly Germanic in vocabulary, despite the abundance of loan words from French and Latin.

Curiously, the majority of the English are genetically more similar to their Welsh neighbors than Germans. In that poorly documented era after the Roman legions fled, the Anglo-Saxons arrived with enough might to overturn language and religion, but not displace the population.
...or the use of longbows.

In my own case, I have documented ancestors from England and Scotland (but apparently none after the early 1700s), Germany, France, Ireland, and Luxembourg (and a murky crew who may have been Dutch, or maybe just more Germans). I regard myself as a European "mutt" or "mongrel" who is perfectly happy to respond "just American" when asked this sort of question (although I don't recall this question on the 2010 census or how I might have responded).

The problem with these census figures is that we're all "mutts upon mutts" for the most part.

People might respond with whichever heritage is most predominant in their family, but likely do not know their pedigree beyond the last 4 generations, with a few notable exceptions.

And even if someone identifies as one group or another, those are a generic hodgepodge as well.

Example: your hypothetical grandfather came from Edinburgh. Your last name is Ferguson and you identify as Scottish. Well, Scottish can = Pictish + Dal Riata Gael + Briton + Norse + Anglo-Saxon + a little Norman.

Example 2: you were born in Madrid, your last name is Rodriguez and you identify as Spanish. Spanish could mean any combination of Lusitanian + Celtiberian + Carthaginian + Roman + anybody from the empire who went to Spain while it was Roman + Visigoth + Vandal + Basque + Catalan + Arab + Berber.

Then let's imagine Ferguson and Rodriguez meet in America and get married. Now things are even more complicated in terms of heritage.

Ancestry is exponentially more complex the farther back you go.

Last edited:
The problem with these census figures is that we're all "mutts upon mutts" for the most part.

People might respond with whichever heritage is most predominant in their family, but likely do not know their pedigree beyond the last 4 generations, with a few notable exceptions.

And even if someone identifies as one group or another, those are a generic hodgepodge as well.

Example: your hypothetical grandfather came from Edinburgh. Your last name is Ferguson and you identify as Scottish. Well, Scottish can = Pictish + Dal Riata Gael + Briton + Norse + Anglo-Saxon + a little Norman.

Example 2: you were born in Madrid, your last name is Rodriguez and you identify as Spanish. Spanish could mean any combination of Lusitanian + Celtiberian + Carthaginian + Roman + anybody from the empire who went to Spain while it was Roman + Visigoth + Vandal + Basque + Catalan + Arab + Berber.

Then let's imagine Ferguson and Rodriguez meet in America and get married. Now things are even more complicated in terms of heritage.

Oh, yes. This is one of the things that bothers me the most about ethnic nationalism is the propensity to ignore historical meldings, as if one's own lineage is somehow the purest distillation of something that was never pure to begin with.

Well, we could at least get a Nepalese civ to represent the Himalayan area in general, since Tibet would indeed probably cause all sorts of problems for the China market.

I. Have been saying this. FOREVER. I have have been suggesting a Nepali Civ so long, one of the main reasons I was so disappointed with Carthage in Civ 5 was that its mountaineering ability effectively sealed Nepal's doom as it was obvious no other side would get such a power. It's been one of my favorite darkhorse civs for a very long time along with the Olmec, Nigeria, and Wallachia (Romania/Transylvania). Something like:
Leader: Prithvi Narayan Shah
Capital: Kathmandu (while he wasn't born there nor did his reign start there he moved the capital to Kathmandu to make it more centralized and defensible early in his reign)
Colors: Red borders with Blue interior (I know the Nepali flag is opposite this but Norway and Persia already took Blue on Red. So Red on Blue it is)
Leader Ability: Divya Upadesh- +1 culture and faith from hill tiles adjacent to city centers. Land combat units have a +3 combat bonus when fighting on hill tiles and a +3 combat bonus when fighting adjacent to mountains. (these bonuses do stack)
Leader Agenda: First Gorkha King- Likes to have well defended cities. Respects civs with large defensive armies (positioned around their own cities). Dislikes civs that position their troops on Nepali borders. (his whole reason for unifying Nepal was out of fear of English Imperialism and wanting a strong centralized government and army in case the English attempted to extend their reach out of India and into Nepal)
Civilization Ability: Sherpa- +1 adjacency bonus for all districts located next to a mountain. Nepali trade routes may move through and construct roads on mountain tiles, and generate 1 extra gold for each mountain tile passed through on their route. Land units may move across mountain roads but suffer -35 damage if they end their turn on a mountain tile.
Unique Unit: Gurkha- Unique unit unlocked at rifling with comparable combat strength to Guarde Imperiale and Redcoat. Starts with the unique "Tenacity" promotion which allows them to attack an adjacent enemy unit even if they do not have the movement points required. (Note this would not give them an extra attack. It just means that even if an attack would require them to expend more movement points then they have left they may still commence an attack that turn, at which point they'd be expended for the rest of the turn like normal)
Unique Infrastructure: Himalayan Monastery (still trying to come up with a better name. I was just going to call it Monastery until they actually added that as a building Grrr!)- Replaces Temple. Generates tourism equal to half the faith generated by the holy site in which the Himalayan Monastery is located.
Theme: Not sure yet.
Obviously these are just spitball ideas and would require proper balancing and testing I'm just throwing this out there as a proof of concept that there's enough history and mechanics there to build a civilization around.

Last edited:
I. Have been saying this. FOREVER. I have have been suggesting a Nepali Civ so long, one of the main reasons I was so disappointed with Carthage in Civ 5 was that its mountaineering ability effectively sealed Nepals doom as it was obvious no other side would get such a power. It's been one of my favorite darkhorse civs for a very long time along with the Olmec, Nigeria, and Wallachia (Romania/Transylvania). Something like:
Capital: Kathmandu (while he wasn't born there nor did his reign start there he moved the capital to Kathmandu to make it more centralized and defensible early in his reign)
Colors: Red borders with Blue interior (I know the Nepali flag is opposite this but Norway and Persia already took Blue on Red. So Red on Blue it is)
Leader Ability: Divya Upadesh- +1 culture and faith from hill tiles adjacent to city centers. Land combat units have a +3 combat bonus when fighting on hill tiles and a +3 combat bonus when fighting adjacent to mountains. (these bonuses do stack)
Leader Agenda: First Gorkha King- Likes to have well defended cities. Respects civs with large defensive armies (positioned around their own cities). Dislikes civs that position their troops on Nepali borders. (his whole reason for unifying Nepal was out of fear of English Imperialism and wanting a strong centralized government and army in case the English attempted to extend their reach out of India and into Nepal)
Civilization Ability: Sherpa- +1 adjacency bonus for all districts located next to a mountain. Nepali trade routes may move through and construct roads on mountain tiles, and generate 1 extra gold for each mountain tile passed through on their route. Land units may move across mountain roads but suffer -35 damage if they end their turn on a mountain tile.
Unique Unit: Gurkha- Unique unit unlocked at rifling with comparable strength to Guarde Imperiale and Redcoat. Starts with the unique "Tenacity" promotion which allows them to attack an adjacent enemy unit even if they do not have the movement points required. (Note this would not give them an extra attack. It just means that even if an attack would require them to expend more movement points then they have left they may still commence the attack at which point they'd be expended for the turn)
Unique Infrastructure: Himalayan Monastery (still trying to come up with a better name. I was just going to call it Monastery until they actually added that as a building Grrr!)- Replaces Temple. Generates tourism equal to half the faith generated by the holy site in which the Himalayan Monastery is located.

Me want Carthage. (pounds chest)

I'd like to see an Italy civ that gets bonuses particular to each city it founds (based on the historical focus of the city's founded name). E.g., Florence might get a bonus for banking, GWAM (or just GA) patronage, or something. Leader bonuses would enhance the capital city bonus.

This sounds more like a mod, though. Mainly because I don't want to get another Euro civ anytime soon.

Of course.
But the world wars can still be looked at -in a generalised not too serious sense- as German speaking Germans vs non German speaking Germans (and a few others :mischief:) ;)

I. Have been saying this. FOREVER. I have have been suggesting a Nepali Civ so long, one of the main reasons I was so disappointed with Carthage in Civ 5 was that its mountaineering ability effectively sealed Nepal's doom as it was obvious no other side would get such a power. It's been one of my favorite darkhorse civs for a very long time along with the Olmec, Nigeria, and Wallachia (Romania/Transylvania). Something like:

Unique Unit: Gurkha- Unique unit unlocked at rifling with comparable strength to Guarde Imperiale and Redcoat. Starts with the unique "Tenacity" promotion which allows them to attack an adjacent enemy unit even if they do not have the movement points required. (Note this would not give them an extra attack. It just means that even if an attack would require them to expend more movement points then they have left they may still commence an attack that turn, at which point they'd be expended for the rest of the turn like normal)

Looks OP to me.

@MIS Maybe it's OP, Maybe it's UP, either way that's why I explicitly said at the bottom
Obviously these are just spitball ideas and would require proper balancing and testing I'm just throwing this out there as a proof of concept that there's enough history and mechanics there to build a civilization around.

Has anyone tried to dig through the code to find any prophetic signs for the next DLC?
A member extracted it and posted links a few pages back for volunteers to peruse. I haven't had time, but knock yourself out.

Frederick the Great was Frederick II of Prussia. Before Bismarck managed to form his vision of Germany using "appropriate" wars, most of the people in the southern countries would have preferred a fusion with Austria instead of a fusion with Prussia.]
But wasn't Frederick II the leader of Germany in a previous Civ game?
Frederick II reigned Prussia from 1740-1786.

The imperial crown of the 'Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation' was since 1438 (Albert II) in Habsburgs (Austria) hands and is still today in Vienna. Emperor Francis renounced 1806 the imperial crown and retreated into being 'Hereditary Emperor of Austria' forced by Napoleon, who announced that the Holy Roman Empire no longer exists, after he smashed the Austrian and Russian armies in the battle at Austerlitz.

Frederick II reigned Prussia from 1740-1786.

The imperial crown of the 'Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation' was since 1438 (Albert II) in Habsburgs (Austria) hands and is still today in Vienna. Emperor Francis renounced 1806 the imperial crown and retreated into being 'Hereditary Emperor of Austria' forced by Napoleon, who announced that the Holy Roman Empire no longer exists, after he smashed the Austrian and Russian armies in the battle at Austerlitz.

He's not talking about history, he's talking about a past Civ game.

Unique Unit: Gurkha- Unique unit unlocked at rifling with comparable combat strength to Guarde Imperiale and Redcoat. Starts with the unique "Tenacity" promotion which allows them to attack an adjacent enemy unit even if they do not have the movement points required. (Note this would not give them an extra attack. It just means that even if an attack would require them to expend more movement points then they have left they may still commence an attack that turn, at which point they'd be expended for the rest of the turn like normal)

Don't forget a hill / mountain start bias!

He's not talking about history, he's talking about a past Civ game.
And I am ONLY talking about history, because he's talking about a past Civ game. I can confirm, that Frederick the Great was the leader of the German civilization in the games civ1 as well as civ4, what from my point of view is inaccurate historically.
Simply while Frederick's lifetime there were more than 300 German states, some of them really tiny, the mightiest of them Prussia & Austria ... the leader of a compound structure as "civilization" would be the German Emperor (HRE), ie. Maria Theresa, who began to reign Austria also in 1740 (and was in civ2 the female German leader, btw).

Talking about Austrians and several states forming something bigger one part IS the whole ... Arnold Schwarzenegger from California, wouldn't he be a great alt leader for "America"? :D

Last edited:

This isn't strictly true - although more commonly used words tend to be Germanic in origin, such is the influence of French and Latin that roughly equal proportions of the vocabulary are Germanic, French and Latin (with a remaining minority from Greek and other origins). English is arguably a creole language, rather than being Germanic or Romantic in any strict sense.

(Those sentences are together: 60% Germanic, 20% French and 20% Latin, according to the most recent Google etymology. Obviously many French loan-words were originally from Latin, but the more direct origin is French).

Spoiler Origins of English vocabulary :

Back on topic (in as much as we have to speculate about), I wonder whether we'll see a longer delay before the next batch of DLC. They've got the Deluxe Edition obligatory packs out the way, and we can expect a few more money-spinning civs (Korea comes to mind as a popular marketable proposition à la Poland and Australia). Isabella and Genoa of course remain unaccounted-for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom