DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its still deserving of inquiry.

To whit - if they are trying to be tight-lipped, wouldn't you put them in front of a specifically chosen background for public appearances?

Its like the Justice League standing in front of a list of their secret identities while doing a psa.

To whit - if they are trying to be tight-lipped, wouldn't you put them in front of a specifically chosen background for public appearances?

Oh I still think it was intentional, just not out of place. Watching it again convinced me even more as it shows the poster center-frame, in clear view, then cuts away just as someone is about to stand in front of it. If they'd wanted a nice safe clip that gave nothing away, they could have easily used footage from literally a second later :lol:

Its like the Justice League standing in front of a list of their secret identities while doing a psa.
I am like 80% sure they intended to record some "filler" in their design room where they knew the leader portraits were all on the wall as either an easter egg or to tease us. However I am also sure that they didn’t think viewers would realise what it was in the background and/or viewers were able to identify what or who they were. But because of the huge scale of people searching for these irl portraits which just so happened to be very easy to search for on Google images (provided you knew who to search for in the first place) and the fact that they were all in alphabetical order meant that it seemed pathetically easy. Becoming one of the biggest and/or misjudged teasers/leaks in probably the history of Firaxis Games.

I am like 80% sure they intended to record some "filler" in their design room where they knew the leader portraits were all on the wall as either an easter egg or to tease us. However I am also sure that they didn’t think viewers would realise what it was in the background and/or viewers were able to identify what or who they were. But because of the huge scale of people searching for these irl portraits which just so happened to be very easy to search for on Google images (provided you knew who to search for in the first place) and the fact that they were all in alphabetical order meant that it seemed pathetically easy. Becoming one of the biggest and/or misjudged teasers/leaks in probably the history of Firaxis Games.

They clearly misjudged our enthusiasm for sure.

For the record, this thread still has a long ways to go before beating the number of posts in the thread analysing that leader portrait image - it had 4,034 posts. It also had well over 300,000 views.

(Here's the link in case you want to relive the drama as we wait for DLC 05: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/all-leader-portraits.570683/)

I maintain that any attempt to actually read that thread will render a person insane.

We are also only 14% behind.

I just thought of something which might help us to eliminate possible DLC civs. Prior to the release of the Poland, Australia, Macedon, and Persia DLCs, had there been any cities from those civs that were city-states when the game was originally released? Because if not, then that would technically eliminate the possibility of having Indonesia as a DLC civ. Maybe they're saving it for the first expansion. Just some food for thought...

I just thought of something which might help us to eliminate possible DLC civs. Prior to the release of the Poland, Australia, Macedon, and Persia DLCs, had there been any cities from those civs that were city-states when the game was originally released? Because if not, then that would technically eliminate the possibility of having Indonesia as a DLC civ. Maybe they're saving it for the first expansion. Just some food for thought...

Or maybe it's just the first instance for a city-state to be converted.

Well, there are some conspiciously missing city-states that one would assume be there, given there size/historic importance. I'm thinking almost all of Italy (Venice, Genoa, Florence), some African (i.e. Ife), etc. Now, they could be introduced as later city-states in future DLCs, like Armagh and Granada, but who knows? Maybe a future civ?

Well, in Civ V, we've had Marrakech and Venice city-states. Both Morocco and Venice were later added as Civs, so these city-states were replaced.

Did anyone for Firaxis ever comment on that? I always just assumed that "revealing" the poster in the background was an intentional thing intended to provoke debate, considering that it would be hard to miss if they spent some time editing and prepping that video before putting it up.

Leadergate though, that is still the most hilariously awkward and unintentional videogame-related leak I have ever seen in my life :lol:

I haven't seen that live stream... Does anyone know in which one it happened and maybe, just maybe, when in the stream?

I haven't seen that live stream... Does anyone know in which one it happened and maybe, just maybe, when in the stream?

They were playing as Germany I think, because it was just after that civ was revealed - in fact IIRC the reason Ed opened the civlopedia was to show off the harmless historical flavour text for Frederick :lol:

So that would mean it was a livestream from last august time? Actually, now that I think about it, didn't they conspicuously never add it on youtube for replaying as a result of the leak? It might be lost for all time :(

They were playing as Germany I think, because it was just after that civ was revealed - in fact IIRC the reason Ed opened the civlopedia was to show off the harmless historical flavour text for Frederick :lol:

So that would mean it was a livestream from last august time? Actually, now that I think about it, didn't they conspicuously never add it on youtube for replaying as a result of the leak? It might be lost for all time :(

Yes, and yes. And Germany was revealed at that European game expo in Cologne.

I seem to recall that that stream was the only one that they didn't post on their YouTube channel soon afterwards; fortunately some people got screenshots during the live stream. I don't recall if they ever posted the video.

Here's the page of the portraits thread with the screen shots: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/all-leader-portraits.570683/page-174

For the record, this thread still has a long ways to go before beating the number of posts in the thread analysing that leader portrait image - it had 4,034 posts. It also had well over 300,000 views.

(Here's the link in case you want to relive the drama as we wait for DLC 05: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/all-leader-portraits.570683/)

Just to add, glancing through this thread, Leadergate occurs on page 174, so @Leyrann, someone might have linked to clip of the livestream around there.

EDIT: @WillowBrook Great minds think alike ;)

Just to add, glancing through this thread, Leadergate occurs on page 174, so @Leyrann, someone might have linked to clip of the livestream around there.

EDIT: @WillowBrook Great minds think alike ;)

You can also type in something like 'Ed Beach plays as Barbarossa' and let Google do it's job ;)

no First Look for civ today, but XCOM2 has another first look in Youtube. Looks like civ's first look will be early next week

no First Look for civ today, but XCOM2 has another first look in Youtube. Looks like civ's first look will be early next week

If we were going to have one today, it would be in another 40 minutes, but it will probably be next Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom