DLC 6 Anticipation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Eagle Pursuit,

Do you expect to see an improvement to the quality of updates since the development for the latest expasion on xcom 2 war of the chosen is kind of done by now.
I`m expecting more from firaxis now since a lot has still to be done to improve the game on many different erea`s to make civ 6 be more enjoyable (not just AI but also balancing, late game etc etc)

To quote James Comey from his congressional deposition a few months ago, "Lordy, I hope so."

@agonistes Sorry. I have nothing of value at the moment.

@Lee Duane Fitzsimmons Or Endless Legend. If you like civ and fantasy, you'll love it.
I actually couldn't get into that one, despite being a fan of both Civ and fantasy. Fallen Enchantress, on the other hand, I enjoyed a lot. Another one I enjoyed was the incredible Fall from Heaven mod for Civ IV.

This wait is unacceptable.

I would disagree.

It has been only two months since the last DLC, that is by no means a long wait, and I would like to point out that we have had a 2 month wait between release and the Poland DLC and between the Poland DLC and the Australia DLC, and a four month wait between the Persia/Macedon DLC and the Nubia DLC. As far as we have Eagle Pursuit has been able to deduce, we will get the DLC most likely next month, for the one year anniversary.

No matter what way you turn it, this is by no means a long wait time, let alone an unacceptable wait time.

I actually couldn't get into that one, despite being a fan of both Civ and fantasy. Fallen Enchantress, on the other hand, I enjoyed a lot. Another one I enjoyed was the incredible Fall from Heaven mod for Civ IV.

I also have mixed feelings about Endless Legend. It makes the same mistake that a lot of non-Civ 4X games make, in that it puts too much emphasis on war, to the point where all of its other systems become irrelevant.

I also have mixed feelings about Endless Legend. It makes the same mistake that a lot of non-Civ 4X games make, in that it puts too much emphasis on war, to the point where all of its other systems become irrelevant.
I always thought that the easiest victory conditions are economic and scientific. But since there are 3(?) military VCs, you have a point as well. Wonder and diplomatic VC sometimes just don't work out. Quest victories need some wars as well iirc, but I haven't done them with all factions. For me, as a peaceful civ player, it didn't feel more like a war game as civ VI - in contrast to AoW, TW or EU. Perception differs.

I always thought that the easiest victory conditions are economic and scientific. But since there are 3(?) military VCs, you have a point as well. Wonder and diplomatic VC sometimes just don't work out. Quest victories need some wars as well iirc, but I haven't done them with all factions. For me, as a peaceful civ player, it didn't feel more like a war game as civ VI - in contrast to AoW, TW or EU. Perception differs.

I look less at victory types and more at how the game's different systems work together.

Civ puts a lot more emphasis on infrastructure. There are four big infrastructure systems in the game.

Science and technology.
Production, buildings, and wonders.
Culture and social policies.
Religion and beliefs.

And all of these systems feed into other. You can use science to unlock mines and other sources of production. You can use your production to make buildings and wonders that will increase your culture. You can use social policies to generate more faith and increase the strength of your religion. You can choose religious beliefs that increase your science and help you research technologies faster.

Infrastructure in Endless Legend is much less complicated. It's mostly just science and production. Influence can be used to help with infrastructure via the empire plan mechanic, but its main purpose is to start and end wars.

War in Endless Legend, on the other hand, is much more complicated. That game has a whole bunch of war related systems that Civ doesn't have. Hero units with their own upgrade trees. Customizable equipment for units. Minor factions that each have their own unique unit. You can tell that the developers put a lot of work into making this part of the game as deep as possible, but the downside is that the rest of the game feels shallow, especially compared to Civ.

As another example of what I'm talking about, compare Civ 6's city states to Endless Legend's minor factions. Only about one-sixth of the city states give military related bonuses, with the rest all giving infrastructure bonuses. Less than half of the minor factions give infrastructure bonuses, though. The rest all give combat buffs to your military units.

Another useful point of comparison is Civ 6's research boosts and city state requests versus Endless Legend's quests. Granted, there are a few research boosts along the lines of "kill an enemy with this specific type of unit", but the vast majority of research boosts and city state requests are things like "build this" or "recruit this type of great person" or "find this somewhere on the map". Endless Legend has a lot more quests that just amount to "go to this place and kill the big thing that's there".

No matter what way you turn it, this is by no means a long wait time, let alone an unacceptable wait time.
Well, I would disagree with your disagreement. They can't just drop a patch that breaks core part of the game and then let us sit around for two months waiting for them to fix it. Sorry, but that's just sloppy. If they can't pull a hotfix, then they must roll back patch.

Well, I would disagree with your disagreement. They can't just drop a patch that breaks core part of the game and then let us sit around for two months waiting for them to fix it. Sorry, but that's just sloppy. If they can't pull a hotfix, then they must roll back patch.

Notice that this isn't the "Patch Anticipation Thread", it's the "DLC Anticipation Thread". With no further explanation given, as in the post I was replying to, it is safe to assume that someone is talking about the DLC, even more so if the person is not someone who regularly posts in this thread, and is therefore not likely to refer to something else than the topic described in the thread title.

apropros hotfix: didn't someone with relation to the game (a Firaxis or an Aspyr employee) mention a hotfix shortly after release of the patch? Or do I remember something wrong. I'm sure there was never an official announcement.

apropros hotfix: didn't someone with relation to the game (a Firaxis or an Aspyr employee) mention a hotfix shortly after release of the patch? Or do I remember something wrong. I'm sure there was never an official announcement.

A poster on the Steam forum asked if the Mac and Linux builds would have the same bugs as the PC version and the Aspyr rep confirmed it, which implied that there would not be a hotfix to the PC build prior to the release of the Mac and Linux versions of the patch (which have since released).

Firaxis is working on DLC06 and the patch that goes with it. A hotfix before that simply isn't going to happen. We will just have to wait and see if the Fall Patch will fix the bugs. It's probably a month away, so we have to find a way to deal with the wait. I've seen Christmas stuff in stores, maybe buy a chocolate advent calendar to help you count down.

How about the less militaristic factions such as the Roving Clans or the Drakken?

To me Civ does a much better job 'dressing up' it's non-military mechanics compared to Endless Legend (caveat: I only played EL when it first came out, and have not tried any of the DLC).

i.e. a lot of their peaceful victories were basically just bucket fills (get to X amount/X techs first). Civ is that as well, of course, but puts another layer of mechanics on it that makes it more interesting (i.e. the different ways to get tourism for that bucket, building the spaceships for that bucket, grabbing CS'es for presumably that bucket).

Conversely, then, I preferred something like Age of Wonders for a militaristic fantasy 4x, as it 'dressed-up' it's military mechanics better (with completely different (but basically similar) units for each race, ala Heroes of Might and Magic).

I gather Endless Legend has done a lot more with adding uniqueness in the DLC though, so take that all with a grain of salt.

Right now, I'm playing through Divinity Original Sin, and I'd find it amazing if some one made a fantasy 4x that used the idea of those 'element' effects as core of the game play. Or just Fall From Heaven for Civ 6 :)

How about the less militaristic factions such as the Roving Clans or the Drakken?

It's ironic that the game recommends the Drakken for diplomatic victory, because they're probably the best faction at waging war. Their special ability, which allows them to force temporary peace on other empires, means they never have to be at war with more than one enemy at a time. They can focus their entire military on picking off their rivals one by one, starting with the weakest and slowly working their way up.

And the Roving Clans just wage war without actually declaring war. Endless Legend has a false-flag mechanic that lets you disguise some of your units as roaming armies (that game's equivalent to barbarians). The Roving Clans unlock this feature much earlier than anyone else does.

Notice that this isn't the "Patch Anticipation Thread", it's the "DLC Anticipation Thread". With no further explanation given, as in the post I was replying to, it is safe to assume that someone is talking about the DLC, even more so if the person is not someone who regularly posts in this thread, and is therefore not likely to refer to something else than the topic described in the thread title.

This also isn't an "Endless Legend" thread, but somehow that is getting even more coverage than the lack of a patch.

They are doing a good job of being sloppy so far... This has really put Firaxis in my bad books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom