1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DLC 6 Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

And no company has ever released a statement worded in a specific way, promising a certain action, only to then behave in another way and point to a convoluted loophole in the original statement to explain the changes, right? :mischief:

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It has happened. However, now you are complicating the interpretation with deception. Mr. Occam would not be pleased.

3. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

@Katakanja @Eagle Pursuit

Agree with both of you. Let's assume though, based on the original statement, that there was no intention at the time it came out that there would be any representation of a civ outside of Africa or SEA.

First off, Africa is still not out of the picture. I view Egypt as a frontrunner still. I agree that civs are far more likely than new leaders, but this is a bonus DLC, and what better time to toss in another second leader, aside from an xpac, where I expect one or two?

Secondly, if, IF, their plans have changed, the only intel we have so far that could possibly be a clue are sound files, correct?

I also suspect we may see some new City-States. Possibly ones that could be converted to true maritime city-states once the xpac hits. Because I'm guessing we are going to see true maritime city-states at some point. Putting them in with Indonesia seems fitting.

Finally, if their plans changed, why did they? And, trying to avoid completely random speculation, what might the new plan entail? Would there be a connection to SEA/Africa, or no?

Does Indonesia have anything approaching a traditional or historical nemesis?

edit: I'm not trying to stir up a discussion of a non-SEA civ... just curious if there is actually anything to work with.

edit 2: we need a new thread that is the cliffs-notes of this thread.

nzcamel likes this.
  4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The only example we have so far of a double civ DLC had two civs, both of which were present in the scenario included with them. Therefore, I postulate that if there is a second civ from Africa or SEA or a leader from an existing civ in Africa, then that civ or leader must be in the scenario along with Indonesia that will be included in the DLC.

So first, I examine Indonesia's historical interactions with its neighbors in SEA. Two things stand out as scenario-worthy:
    1) When the Khmer revolted against the Srivijaya, then allied with the Chola to destroy them.
    2) When Raden Wijaya used a Mongol/Yuan invasion fleet to help him assert supremacy in Indonesia, founding the Majapahit Empire, then betrayed and destroyed the fleet. Vietnam also shares the distinction of fending off a Mongol invasion in SEA.

Secondly, looking to Indonesia's historical interactions with Africa:
    1) Madagascar was initially colonized by ancient Indonesians
    2) The Cinnamon Route between Indonesia and the Swahili coast

However, a scenario involving the ancient settling of the island of Madgascar would not seem an easy way to include a Medieval/Renaissance/Industrial Kingdom of Madagascar civ. Also, there doesn't seem to be any meaningful interaction between Indonesia and Kongo, Nubia, or Egypt that could make for a good scenario. So an additional African civ or leader seems quite less likely.

Liufeng, Zaarin and conorbebe like this.
  5. agonistes

A lonely one is a pretty small sample size. On top of that, I'm finding it ever more challenging as we get closer to release to separate my desires and fantasies from practical deduction. Sigh.

I expect we will see something that makes us go "yes, of course," and also "oh hey, that's a cool surprise." That's about as good as I can come up with.

Yes, yes, @Zaarin , show me the face. I deserve it. The face of shame.

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Deutsch

Deutsch Chieftain

I really hope that DLC 6 will be Indonesia and the Netherlands. I think a scenario about the Dutch conquering Indonesia would be fun.

shadowplay likes this.
  7. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

Yeah I did some research about it as well after you mentioned it. When I first saw the picture I thought it was a balangay, a pre-colonial ship that not only transported goods but also entire villages across waters. That was more emphasized in our educational system than the koro-koro since balangay is the etymology of our smallest unit of local government, the barangay.

My bad, I guess... :blush:

sonicmyst and Noble Zarkon like this.
  8. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Very colonialist. :p Firaxis hasn't shied away from those kinds of scenarios (Scramble for Africa), but they made some of the "natives" playable. I would like Indonesia to be playable in the scenario then, defending against the Dutch.
    However, I think it's unlikely two new Civilizations will be introduced in this DLC. The second leader is either an alternate for a preexisting Civ or a second one for Indonesia.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  9. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Found cities on coastal tiles...? Or build districts? Or neighbourhoods only? :p

Leyrann and nzcamel like this.
  10. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

The Dutch would likely be an expansion civ if anything. I'm guessing there might be a corporation mechanic added again eventually (probably the second expansion), and the Dutch would be a good candidate for that mechanic (i.e. having early trading companies and the like). Perhaps the first if it's new world focused.

We could certainly see hints of them in a scenario (ala the Ottomans in the Polish scenario) but I don't even think that's a likely scenario they'd go with.

Eagle Pursuit and RohirrimElf like this.
  11. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

My guess is the Dutch Empire will be a trade Civ that thrives on the coast. Oh, and it could have some ability with luxuries, too.

But about Indonesia, well... I have no idea what its abilities could be :p

12. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

By entire villages I mean entire families. They're more of a ship to transport units, rather than a district.

13. agonistes

I thought Singapore would be cool if it could build neighborhoods on coastal tiles.

14. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

Singapore as a city state or entire Nation? There are far better choices if you ask me. However, I wish they would work on bugs such as the city return bug which totally unacceptable for MP games.

15. anandus

anandus Errorist

Even though I think we won't see the Dutch until at least the first, but maybe the second expansion, I think the mechanic to build districts on water (eg. harbour, wonders, etc.) makes it a very interesting possibility for the Dutch to create polder-'districts' on coastal or lake tiles.

Zaarin, nzcamel and Leyrann like this.
  16. Inlex

Inlex Chieftain

Dordrecht, Netherlands / Tilburg, Netherlands
    For those interested, I translated the (somewhat old) Dutch caption of the image. Also, the banners on the vessel on this image resemble the Dutch flag, though colours could be deceiving. If the Indonesians, Moluccans and/or Cora-Cora vessel would be in, the chance that the Dutch will join is realistic....I hope!

Image Caption:
    "Cora-Cora; Moluccan row boat of the 'vlerkprauw' ('winged dug-out canoe'. Often known as 'Catamaran') type.

The wings are made of wooden floaters, which are attatched to both sides of the ship with crossbeams: They serve as stabilisers for the vessel.
    - Image from "Old and New East-Indies" by F. Valentijn. 1724-1726, page 84"

I lurk here so much, I figured I might contribute for once ;-)

17. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Any civ that gained the ability to build districts on coast would need to have a unique set of adjacency bonuses for all their districts as well though. I mean, thinking about it, why would you ever want to build anything other than a commercial zone, to get it next to a dock, or a neighbourhood, just to keep it out of the way of more valuable tiles, on a coast under the standard rules?

Industrial zones, campuses and holy sites would nine times out of ten probably be better inland where there will be appropriate terrain for bonuses. I guess theatre squares might be worth it, if you were planning to maximise the number of wonders you could get around it. And camps would probably need to be exempt since there would probably be all sorts of buggy behaviour around building a camp at sea before your units can embark etc.

They'd maybe need to have a global +1 or +0.5 adjacency bonus for every coast tile in every district, and that would straight away put them at Australia levels of powerful versatility in the very early game. :eek:

Zaarin likes this.
  18. Liufeng

Liufeng A man of his time

To make a truce on all this phililogy and semantics discussion on civ devs statement, if a first look video should happen this week, when do you think it would be ?

19. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Tomorrow at the normal time, I guess? (Your timezone may vary, but its 4pm CEST if you want to work it out from there :))

Hawke9, agonistes and Liufeng like this.
  20. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Standard agency bonus with all sea resources for all districts would probably be a reasonable middle ground. Really, the advantage would be to have districts that don't take up valuable land. Even if you don't use it for campus/holy site/IZ/encampment, that still leaves commercial zones, entertainment districts, theatre square, neighbourhoods, airports and spaceports. That's potentially a lot of space saved.

But I think they could do something more interesting. Say, a unique improvement that when built on the coast gives, when worked, a total of 3F1H and +1 housing per trade route leaving that city. Combines coastal with trade and large cities. Sounds very dutch for me!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Zaarin, agonistes and Noble Zarkon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.