1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DLC will you buy them?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by axiomtk, Dec 1, 2010.

?

Will you buy the DLCs

1. No

238 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. Only the missin one

10 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Yes I'll buy them all

21 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. markantony

markantony Warlord

I can`t understand why anyone would pay for DLC. Is there anything even mentioned yet that we wont get for free from the modders?

There was a reason Empire Total War was a pain to mod compared with Rome or Med2.

2. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Who the hell in their natural god-fearing mind buy maps when there's a worldbuilder available? This isn't like a console game where you have to buy map packs for new maps. Civilization I might pay for simply because there's leaderart, language, etc going along with it but mappacks?

I'm glad that 91% of the board agrees.

3. Tatran

Tatran Deity

9% haven't taken their medicines.

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Now though, how many of the people who voted no will actually not buy them? As a famous example, both the Boycott Modern Warfare 2 and left 4 Dead 2 groups were full of people palying the game they were supposed to be boycotting on the day of release.

5. Tatran

Tatran Deity

^^
    Because, people who love civ4 are less weak and more determine.

6. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

The difference was that those people were boycotting something they actually wanted. A comparison could be made to people saying they would boycott civ5 because of the steam requirement. IIRC the main reason people boycotted MW2 was lack of dedicated servers. And the boycottt against L4D2 was because Valve 'abandoned' L4D1.

I'd imagine that a pretty large proportion of the people voting 'no' here are doing so because they would have no interest in the map DLC for nearly any price. A lot of them probably wouldn't bother if it was even free. I know that I prefer playing on random maps. With civ4 the only fixed map/s I would ever play were ones that had the entire Earth map. Same with civ5. Fortunately that wasn't relegated to DLC.

7. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

This pretty much. No one here really wanted map DLC.

8. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

That said, if mapscript DLC were offered, I might consider it. Of course it'd be annoying if they made such things DLC, but things like the Tectonics mapscript of civ4 is something I'd pay a small amount for if I knew I was going to use it many times.

9. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

Is that a joke?

To the OP, I won't be buying the DLCs. History suggests that modders will be able to create equivalents equally as good if not better. I would be looking for real quality if I were to buy a DLC. Besides, I prefer playing random maps anyway, and the Babylon civ doesn't seem t be anything to write home about.

10. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

For DLC, i'm against DLC generally speaking...

But it's Civ 5 so why not...

After all Civ 5 worth enough for buying it's DLC...

Otherwise i could wait the first expansion with all the DLC...

11. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Same here. I don't want to play a map I already know.

12. kuukkeli

kuukkeli King

No. I prefer random maps anyway and like others have said, a map for a game with world builder is not worth money. I also haven't played the game in about a month - still waiting for a patch that would make the game interesting.

13. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Please, count me on the game enthusiasts side.

Having said this, I have to state: NO, I wont buy a map (in particular not for this price).

I'm not against DLC in general. I bought Babylon as civ and never regreted it. Probably I will buy other civs, too - with the only concern, that I might get them in an upcomming expansion, aswell. So, maybe I will hold me back on them, if it is not a civilization, I *really* want to own right now.

About premade maps:
    Normaly, I definitely prefer random maps, too.

But it I think, it can be fun to play premade map of a certain "realistic" area. If it is well done, detailed and acurate. Your starting positions may differ in every new game and it is fun to build your strategy around special known targets.

Yes, you can build a map for your own with the worldbuilder and this is very fun, additionaly! Or you can rely on the big fanbase to do it for you, if you are not interested in doing it yourself.

On the other hand: I tried to find some decend maps for the mesopotamien area. Do you know, how difficult it is, to get valid information about landscape, ressources and vegetation?
    Well, I doubt, that the actual DLC-maps are based on realy acurate information and done with all the needed love for details. But if a map was designed like this, it would be very well worth spending some money for it...

14. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

I voted no, and I bought lt :scan:

15. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

I think this poll could use two different 'no' options. Development costs for typical DLC is probably insignificant compared to the cost of developing the game itself, so 'won't buy it' is a neutral rather than a negative reaction to the concept.

Something I'd be interested to know: How many voting 'no' would actually vote against DLC with their wallet, refusing to spend money they'd otherwise be happy to part with?

That certainly applies to me. Paid-for DLC before I'd expect a first expansion means the vanilla game feels like an incomplete product to me. Generally speaking I'm only willing to pay full price for something that feels like a full game. If I don't know what will become available when, the vanilla game is only worth a fraction of the typical price to me regardless of its merits as a game, and I'm going to give it a miss or wait for a new offer (drastic price drop, complete edition for a price I consider fair etc).