DLCs once again not included in Steam sale

kaspergm

Deity
So, like with the fall sale, and the winter sale, once again there is a Steam sale (Chinese new year), and the base game is on sale - yet the DLC packs are not on sale. Once again, thanx for taking a piss on those who didn't preorder the deluxe edition, Firaxis. :mad:

So, like with the fall sale, and the winter sale, once again there is a Steam sale (Chinese new year), and the base game is on sale - yet the DLC packs are not on sale. Once again, thanx for taking a piss on those who didn't preorder the deluxe edition, Firaxis. :mad:

On the other hand, I am glad I ordered the deluxe edition and for Firaxis to ensure that it was a great deal and continues to be so.

I appreciate a company that doesn’t punish early adopters. :)

Did you not buy deluxe with the hope/assumption you'd simply be able to get the DLC in the near future cheaper?

I didn't buy it because I didn't know what DLC were going to be included, and I figured just 4 DLC wasn't worth the 20$ extra it was going to be. Had I known it was going to be 6 DLC, mostly civs including some double packs, then I would have bought it.

I didn't buy it because I didn't know what DLC were going to be included, and I figured just 4 DLC wasn't worth the 20$ extra it was going to be. Had I known it was going to be 6 DLC, mostly civs including some double packs, then I would have bought it.

4 DLC does pay the cost of the Deluxe, though, unless you live in Brazil and a few other countries.

There was another thread here on civfanatics on this topic :

The Civilization and Scenario packs are 45% off at Green Man Gaming, if you use the code FEB20.

Green Man Gaming had 25% sale for all the Civ 6 DLCs and offered a general discount of 20%. So you could get all the DLCs with 40% discount and R&F with 20%.

(40% for DLC because of : 0,75 x 0,8 = 0,6)

Edit :
I just checked the site and the sale is over. They now offer 18% discount with the code WOOF18.

Last edited:
It's only 37 dollars or something to buy all the DLC. Considering the replay value you get out of them, I don't understand why people are whining about it. Paying ~37 dollars for DLC for a game that most of us put hundreds, if not thousands, of hours into is apparently the worst thing ever, but going and buying a game for 50 dollars that you play once or twice is just fine. I just don't see the logic in peoples complaints about DLC. This isn't some silly horse armor DLC, you actually get value for your money with the Civilization DLC.

Last edited:
I bought the hard copy deluxe edition (anniversary edition?) and I not only got all the DLC up to the expansion, but some chincy coins and a neat little art book. Yeah it was a bit steep, but I PLAY CIV.

I mean, really. If you know you're a civ player, why buy anything else up front?

I’ve got no complaints about the dlc model. They can charge $10 for each Civ for all I care.

I’d still only buy it in a 75% off deal, because that’s how steam works. And tbh, I think paying even $2 is steep for a single Civ, when they are literally free (and often better balanced) on the steam workshop.

You get the replay value out of the base game, and maybe expansions. The civilisation dlc technically is horse armour with special bonuses so your horse can swim or cook eggs.

On the other hand, I am glad I ordered the deluxe edition and for Firaxis to ensure that it was a great deal and continues to be so.

I can understand this logic up to a point, but we’re past or approaching 12 months since Poland and Australia were released, and almost 11 since Persia and Macedonia. I see no reason why the older DLCs should not have seen a reduction.

I can understand this logic up to a point, but we’re past or approaching 12 months since Poland and Australia were released, and almost 11 since Persia and Macedonia. I see no reason why the older DLCs should not have seen a reduction.

Perhaps. However, I do not want to be punished for putting my faith in Firaxis and paying for them up front. It helps them know if they can produce more DLC which I would think most Civ Fanatics would want. A year is a reasonable period of time for the penny pinchers to wait.

Perhaps. However, I do not want to be punished for putting my faith in Firaxis and paying for them up front. It helps them know if they can produce more DLC which I would think most Civ Fanatics would want. A year is a reasonable period of time for the penny pinchers to wait.
Would you really feel 'punished' if suddenly all DLCs went on sale? I think it's due time.

I get the feeling this is some kind of weird company mandated policy on DLC prices. The individual XCOM 2 DLCs have never gone on sale either - you have to buy them through the season pass if you want a discount and that essentially works out as three for the price of two.

I wouldn't be surprised if Firaxis is planning to release a DLC bundle at some point in the future with all the vanilla DLC in one package, and then only discount that package during sales.

Let's be real. We knew that if they weren't going to be worth it, there'd be complaints, as there were. There is no way that any Deluxe Edition is ever going to be more expensive than buying seperately.

There are effectively "punishing" early adopters who bought only the vanilla game. New adopters often get the benefit of buying the deluxe game at a reduced rate with full knowledge of what is included, the only people who are being gouged for full price DLC are people who bought the basic game which will overwhelmingly be early adopters.

Let's be real. We knew that if they weren't going to be worth it, there'd be complaints, as there were. There is no way that any Deluxe Edition is ever going to be more expensive than buying seperately.
Many people would easily have skipped the Viking scenario pack, making the 3 DLCs they would have wanted come under the additional Deluxe price had they bought separately. Without the pricing problems in different regions it's not known whether they would have added the additional two packs.

I am missing a Season Pass for Civ 6 to upgrade from standard to deluxe. This is a bad company decision that there is no separate season pass.
If you were not sure if Civ 6 would be your game (because of small maps and destacked cities), it is likely to go with the standard game first and try it out.

In my case I ordered the big anniversary edition via amazon but they did not deliver and instead offered the normal version with a small discount, so I got the boxed version. Next time I will probably look for a keyseller who sells the Deluxe Edition at release with a discount so that it matches the normal price on steam, amazon to avoid running after DLCs for a year or two.

I got my DLCs now from the GMG-sale last weekend.
(If I reassign the unexpected 20% discount for R&F to the DLCs, I paid less then 50% for the DLCs. It was ok. less than 17 Euro.)

I'm waiting for dlcs discounts too (didn't get the deluxe on principle, because i considered 4 unknown dlcs on blind trust bad company pratice, and indeed one of them is of no interest to me), but with the deluxe dlcs extension it's quite fair that they are not on sale yet.

That's why I've been buying the dlcs as they come out, it's more bearable to pay 5€ every couple months instead of one big 50€ punch :p and if they go on sale, who cares, after a year I've already got my money back as far as enjoyment goes...

Top Bottom