[IAAR] DM1: Deviant Minds Tourism Club (an SG)

pholkhero

Deviant Mind
[I'm guessing IAAR is the correct prefix]

pholk: Mothers, hide you liquor. Fathers, lock up your cis-gendered, polysexual offspring. We're back for some SG fun!

rex: you should probably explain what an SG is.

pholk: this new-fangled generation grew up w google, they can find out about SGs. back in my day, we had to look things up, by hand, on AOL, uphill, BOTH ways, and- ok . . . if you don't know, SGs are single player games played by a group. Each person takes a set of turns, plays, posts a review of the turns w screenshots along w the save, and the next person plays, completely changing all the great plans you had with their stupidity and you wonder how someone who had six thumbs and 3 brain cells made it this far in life.

But its fun.

rex: pholk?

pholk: in a minute, i'm almost done.

actually, i am done.

rex: here's some past SGs just to fill you in if pholk's incoherent ramblings leave wondering if he's high on sodium again:
Nerds in Space
Romanus Eunt Domus

pholk: and my favorite: Rise of the Queen Mother back before Imhotep had his "change of life" and was Timon

Soooo, back to this thing of ours ~

Civilization: Random
Rivals: Random; Standard Number
Difficulty: King
Map: Continents
Mapsize: Standard
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Victory Conditions: all enabled, but Culture is the way we go
Variant: None
Mods: None

Roster:
pholkhero
Rex_Tyrannus
Ozbenno
reserved
reserved
OPEN

[we're holding a few places open for our long-time DM buddies, but if they're not interested or don't check in within 48 hrs or so, we'll open up the remaining spots]

and finally, the old guidelines with some 2016 flair:
Spoiler :

Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We'’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win. [see pholk's signature if you have any questions]

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; an auto-log dump will not suffice.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play and post within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later. Looking at you here, pholk!

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, city/district placement, Great People placement, I guess even builder improvements) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, you can either argue your case better or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn. We're not all special little snowflakes, you especially.
2. If there’ is no consensus and you'’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude [unless Greyfox comes back and plays after pholk] and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Be Excellent to Each Other. Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home. Party On, Dude!

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. We’'re here to play in a friendly environment. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged, esp as many of us haven't been around in a while and haven't "seen" many of you in long time, if ever. However, don’t be jerk. Looking at you here, Rex!

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off.
2. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates.

Hotel: NEVER fortify Great People. Is it so hard to push the spacebar 15 times??

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it. [The only exception to this are city specialization signs.]

Start and Save in Next Post

So, we got lucky w leader:

And here's our start:

I moved our warrior to where it is, thinking it might reveal something better over there. Looks to me like settle in place, scout>warrior>builder as the first order?

also, confession time: my age-addled brain still can't wrap my head completely around the culture win conditions. So, we need lots of great works I *think* and maybe relics and archaeology pieces so we'll need Theatre districts in every city.

Ill wait for check-ins and input before I play.

Attachments

• DM1.dmtcStart.Civ6Save
    326 KB · Views: 184
What the heck's an IAAR? Are there rules around here or something? Sorry, I'm old. Anyhow, private Rex, checking in for duty, sir!

Wait, it's not an all-war game? We're gonna conquer 'em with _culture_? How's that work? People don't bleed to death on your paintings and, unless you do it right, you can't disembowel them with your music. Oh well, let's see how this goes. Maybe we'll get to do some killin' in here somewhere. Ya know, just for ships and giggles.

Regarding the start, it's hard to see and I'm too lazy to open up the save. Normally, I'd say you play the hand you're dealt, but I've only played one C6 gave and that on prince. So, yeah, let's settle in place and lose in style. :)

Oh, and I invited someone else to play, pholk. His name's Hero_Of_Flames and I'm rather fond of him. He's here to lose his his SG cherry, so let's be a little more kind to him than I am to you.

Okay. I decided to *not* be so lazy and opened up the save. Tons of rice = good. Only one jungle in sight while Brazil, not so great. Still, maybe there are more to the south. Also, one tile away from the coast irks me, but this is Civ6 and that probably shouldn't matter. So what's the roster, pholk, and when are we playing?

welcome HoF ~ hopefully you're better than others who have posted here so far :mischief: (is that even a thing anymore? yes, it DOES work) and don't worry, screwing it up is what we do best

gonna wait on others before i play any turns, but more than likely roster will be determined by sign-ins(ups)

Checking in.

also, confession time: my age-addled brain still can't wrap my head completely around the culture win conditions. So, we need lots of great works I *think* and maybe relics and archaeology pieces so we'll need Theatre districts in every city.

I'm also not too sure about culture (why I suggested it). Its about getting tourists (rather than actual culture) so great artists, writers and musicians (and somewhere to put their works) as well as relic, national parks and seaside resorts.

Settle in place (one tile from coast doesn't seem to matter in VI) then scout warrior builder settler to start I think.

Just a thought.....

Given the link to Romanus Eunt Domus above got me thinking. One of the ways to attract tourists is with relics. One of the ways you can create relics is with matyrs (when your apostles die in religious combat). Maybe we should have the variant that we have to beeline a religion and can only have relics generated by martyrs to attract tourists (no great works etc). You can also name your religion when you found it so People's Front of Judea here we come. Or should it be the Judean People's Front?

EDIT: You can name the apostles as well, Reg, Judith, Brian etc

omg ~ given that two of us are sketchy on the culture rules, an added variant rule might be too much; lets win at least our first SG, then crush ourselves w unwinnable variants :) ~ though i like the idea in principle for another SG someday

that being said, i like the idea of beelining a religion to start getting relics early ~ maybe go that route instead of early wonders.

also:
Mining>Pottery>Irrigation
CoL (taking Discipline and God-King)>Craftsmanship maybe for the builder bonus? idk, but i don't see Foreign Trader being of use as quickly

i was also thinking having quite a few cities in order to get many culture districts might be a good strat ~ a wide empire rather than tall

omg ~ given that two of us are sketchy on the culture rules, an added variant rule might be too much; lets win at least our first SG, then crush ourselves w unwinnable variants :) ~ though i like the idea in principle for another SG someday

Isn't the idea of SGs to be crushed with unwinnable variants :mischief:

Mining>Pottery>Irrigation
CoL (taking Discipline and God-King)>Craftsmanship maybe for the builder bonus? idk, but i don't see Foreign Trader being of use as quickly

Irrigation only if we have the boost (which is farm a resource) otherwise Animal Husbandry.

After CoL I'd go with whichever we have the boost (if we do) for as we want both eventually, agree with taking Discipline and God King

i was also thinking having quite a few cities in order to get many culture districts might be a good strat ~ a wide empire rather than tall

Agree, a horse archer rush of a nearby civ (or useless city state) could also be a good strategy. We will want some faith and science (and maybe harbour) districts as well so more cities = good.

Good luck guys. I always followed your sg's back in the day with interest. I know that you'll show these young'uns what they're missing out on.

still learning cVI but it seems that while ICS (infinite city spam) isn't viable due to placement restrictions, it certainly seems like Many City Spam (MCS) is a viable and preferable strat, esp early-mid game before neighborhoods

Any of those slots still free Pholk?

I like Scout->Warrior->Builder->Settler, first warrior doesn't stray to far from home. On tech. Probably not relevant for the first turnset, but I've found going early archers helps a lot with barbs, so I'd like to tech in that direction after we start getting some farms up. CoL->Craftsmanship makes sense. I'd like to do some settler spamming early.

Any of those slots still free Pholk?

I like Scout->Warrior->Builder->Settler, first warrior doesn't stray to far from home. On tech. Probably not relevant for the first turnset, but I've found going early archers helps a lot with barbs, so I'd like to tech in that direction after we start getting some farms up. CoL->Craftsmanship makes sense. I'd like to do some settler spamming early.
yup ~ you're in ~

Roster:
pholkhero
Rex_Tyrannus
Ozbenno
Heroes of Flame
Nfora
reserved for Ruff if he wants in, otherwise, will open up tomorrow

Think we have enough consensus for my first 30 turns. will play tonight, post tomorrow

Excellent, look forward to the new and innovative ways we can stuff up a game in VI.

Rule Alpha: winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win :goodjob:

Welcome nfora and, to KK, it's great seeing you again, man.

Regarding the build order, it seems a little light on pointy sticks to me. I'd build a slinger instead of a warrior and try to boost archery, then get an archer ASAP. The barbs in this game are *real* and, with pholk's luck, Gilgamesh will spawn 7 tiles from Rio. The reason for nixing the warrior is that melee units seem useless so far. I seriously can't see a reason for building any unit that isn't either mounted, ranged, or a war cart in ancient or classical. Ranged units can't move and attack someone most of the time. Mounted get 3 or 4 movement and ignore zone of control.

Regarding the civics tree, I've learned to bee-line for the one that gives that first government (philosophy?), taking those first four in whatever order is most useful ATM. Those extra policy slots are too powerful to ignore, IMO.

For tech, I'd just grab whatever's boosted or we have an immediate need for. With builders coming online later than Civ 4 and 5 workers, techs for resources / luxuries aren't as immediately useful.

Welcome nfora and, to KK, it's great seeing you again, man.

Yep welcome nfora and HOF, happy lurking KK and good to see you again Rex :D

Regarding the build order, it seems a little light on pointy sticks to me. I'd build a slinger instead of a warrior and try to boost archery, then get an archer ASAP. The barbs in this game are *real* and, with pholk's luck, Gilgamesh will spawn 7 tiles from Rio. The reason for nixing the warrior is that melee units seem useless so far. I seriously can't see a reason for building any unit that isn't either mounted, ranged, or a war cart in ancient or classical. Ranged units can't move and attack someone most of the time. Mounted get 3 or 4 movement and ignore zone of control.

Agree with this. Playing around at the moment, it seems the barbs are a pain (no threat to kill your cities but pillaging to death) and archers and horses (and their successors) seem to be the only real decent military. A slinger should be able to kill a barb to get the boost for Archery.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

@Rex Tyrannus the warrior is really useful for popping barb encampments. If we switch warrior to slinger, I'd be tempted to switch scout to warrior, but we'd probably miss out on some goody hut boosts. I can't disagree with early archery though!

Top Bottom