DMAW02: The Magnficent Seven

great write-up ~ it's nice to see *someone* else is on our side, even if it is the Sith :lol:

Wow, i'm up again!
Roster:
Pholkhero > UP NOW
Rex > on deck
GreyFox >
Imhotep >
Patagonia >
Cabledawg >
Cosmichail > just played

Just a sound out. I will not be able to play this weekend. So either Pholk takes his time with this one, I skip, or I swap. Sorry.

great read guys:goodjob:

Thanks, Master ~ I'll have the next intallment later today. It involves Ritual Suicide . . .

;)

I stood before a map of my lands . . . Kyoto, and the recently-founded Osaka.

And the Russian's cities. I must know the truth. WAS he behind the murder oof my family? I'm not so sure . . .

There is a wild band of warriors to our north, but our defense, i feel, is solid.

And then, my advance scout meets the Roman Gentleman's archers!

So . . . I wonder if he was just leaving from a visit with the Russian himself? Plotting i'm sure . . . the Russian can't've been working alone.

I sent in our agent to get a closer look on the Russians army and his city:

I needed to send a message to the Russian one way or another. I figured that if he wasn't behind the attack, he ias definitely in league with the attackers. I needed a leader to take our soldiers and sack a Russian city.

One such warrior answered my call.

Lord Tamagachi came only with his sword and his armor, and offered himself to me. I dispatched him south, to join my army there and lead it to battle!

Meanwhile, our southern warrior was able to catch the enemy off-gaurds. He saw his oppurtunity, and, like a true warrior, sacrficed his life for our cause:

The Russian's right-hand man, Gershkov, was assassinated by our man.

However, as I said, it came at a cost:

He died a true warrior's death, and I believe Lord Tamagachi saw this act as one of the highest acts of duty one could perform . . . little did he know . . .

He quickly ambushed a lone troop of archers in the woods:

Our army was able to join him then!

And the wild men from the North attack our defenses there:

As I told them, we had no reason to fear . . .

Little did I know, that over the mountains, the barbarians continued to plot . . .

[ . . . to be continued . . .]

. . . I recieved reports that the Russian was advancing again toward Osaka.

There's little to be done now, but the city is working on it's own defense.

Also, down south, Lord Tamagachi orders the forward troops in. The first two:

wound two defenders!

Then, the next one wins!

He immediately persues his advantage:

but it does not pay off!

Lord Tamagachi could not stand to face me, I know that is why he advanced despite the odds.

The bards still tell legends of his sacrifice:

But on that day i realized that i must not force my men into untenable situations. If i am to succeed against such a widespread and tenacious threat, i must fight smarter, not harder . . .

The coming days would test not just me, but the whole of my people . . .

[ . . . to be concluded . . .]

I totally blew with our army trying to take that city; the RNGod was very unfriendly! We are back to square one now, unit-wise, and need to build things back up . . . again, sorry :sad:

Roster:
Roster:
Pholkhero > just played
Rex > OoP this weekend
GreyFox > OoP for Patched games, right?
Imhotep > swapped w/Patagonia until Monday so on deck
Patagonia > UP NOW
Cabledawg >
Cosmichail >

Got that? ;)

Back to the Rookies :D

Have I missed the battle cry. Such is the way when my reign is, there is no battle for a warrior, only duties of administration. Thy attempt at conquer my Shogun was indeed a brave one. Those that risk show courage in their mettle. Like the Phoenix we shall rise again from ashes only to conquer and slice the throats of our foes and remove their existence from our eyes.

Worry not should these Romans show up with their praets. They aren't so good in the open field, especially if we keep axes with shock. We must keep them from our cities though that is their strength. All offense these Romans and very little defense. A weakness that we can play on. Our prioty now is to acquire siege weapons to accompany our axes/swords. These siege weapons in great numbers can stop an army in their tracks.

Our capitol needs a great deal of production to pump out some units. With ivory and a few mined hills we should be able to. A good compliment of axes/swords might do the trick for Moscow as Novogorod is just too difficult until we acquire siege weapons. I believe scouting the area of the Russians to see if they have metals might be wise, so that if there is, we can make sure they don't hook it up.

Those pictures Shogun are "kewl". Don't worry we understand that you are still grief stricken by the attack on your family.

I've got the save and am playing now. My 15 will probably be spent building swords, so hopefully it won't be too eventful.

Dearest Sayuri, how my heart aches in your absence still. I have sworn to avenge your murder, and those of our beloved children, and shall not rest until that task is completed. Our whole nation bends to my will and is singularly focused on this one aim. I feel your gaze upon us and know that the sound of swords being sharpened and brave men being trained in the arts of war soothes your restless spirit.

Word came from our border patrol that another rat had dared to show his face and send men to scout out our lands. They did not escape with their lives, but from whence they came, surely others shall follow.

In the meantime, our armies were rebuilt and advanced on Novgorod, that pit of Russian filth, to avenge the great Lord Tamagachi and conduct a house-by-house search for The Assassins. It was unlikely that those vipers would dare to lurk so close to our borders, but surely evidence of their tracks would lurk in the lands of our enemies.

Tamagachi's Avenger led the assult on the walls of this hilltop stronghold. His valiance in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds was pleasing to see, and should act as a clear signal to our enemies that they cannot withstand the bravery and resolve of the Japanese warriors.

While our forces may yet be few in number, our mission shall not fail.

Alas, The Assassin's trail runs cold in Novgorod. A search of Moscow may soon be required to unearth more information.

=====================

Spoiler containing annotated turnlog:
Spoiler :
Turn 0
MM Kyoto to work the elephant and lake.
It had been working unimproved grassland tiles. :smoke:
We're now breaking even at 80% tax - Maths due in 20.

Turn 1
Osaka builds Axe -> Swordsman
Axe in Osaka (cover-promoted) attacks Russian archer in forest @70.6% and wins without taking a scratch.
Finally some joy from the RNG gods.

Turn 2
Give Axe CR1
Advance troops towards Novgorod to avenge Lord Tamagachi's defeat

Turn 3
Odds on Novgorod (defended by one CG2 archer) are UGLY.
Waiting for reinforcements so axe plays whack-an-arch on a stray Russian.

IBT
Hannibal's scout appears in the East.

Turn 4
Kill Hannibal's scout with out border guard.

Turn 5
Pull Axe back to Osaka to heal.
Kyoto builds Sword -> Sword

zzZZzz

Turn 12
Osaka builds Sword -> Sword

IBT
Osaka reclaims tiles from Novgorod.

Turn 13
Troops are in place to take Novgorod. Hopefully.

IBT
zzzzzz

Turn 14
Attack on Novgorod. We've got 3 CR1 Swords and a CR1/Cover Axe against a CG2 archer and first-strike promoted archer.
"Tamagachi's Avenger" (Sword) wins against CG2 archer @ 17.6%
Swordsman loses to first-strike archer @ 24.1%, wounding it to 1.9
Swordsman takes Novgorod @90.1% - victory!
We pillage a ton of gold and have a new size 4 city to whip a rax and some swords in.

This seems like a good place to stop, so I'll wrap it up here.

Whoever's up next may want to reinforce Osaka to give our iron a bit more protection. There are 5 Russian archers there now who could probably take the mine defender if they felt so inclined.

Way to go :woohoo:

First Blood! They shall write legends of Tamagachi's Avenger ~ I hope he is named!

Roster:
Pholkhero >
Rex > OoP this weekend
GreyFox > OoP for Patched games, right?
Imhotep > UP NOW
Patagonia > just played
Cabledawg > on deck
Cosmichail >

Settling him in our best production city (probably Kyoto?) seems like the best idea to me. Being able to build CR2 swords is going to help a lot and we're a long, long way from Theocracy/Vassalage for an alternative XP boost.

With the patch, we can unlock HE by getting a unit to 10XP and we'll have at least one more GG before getting anywhere near Military Tradition for West Point to be a factor.

Great progress, and the story-telling is getting better!

Agreed on settling the GG when we got one. A barracks + Mil Instr. would allow us to get a combat I + CR2 swords out of the door. Combat I is for free, of-course, being aggressive.

@Pholky: as I have mentioned, patching the game is no longer a concern for me ... (black hats did the job) ... I can patch anytime. But it is okay to skip me this round ... I'm on autoskip afterall :)

--

You have done well Patagonia and brought great honour to our armies. Now Osaka can flourish and it will be just a matter of time before Moscow falls.

I agree too that GG is best settled in Kyoto as getting combat I and CR2 swords would be great. We will be invincible.

I will play Monday evening (around 21.00 GMT+1) and report then...

Regarding the General, my fellow patriots, Legends passed down from my Grandmother's Grandmother, from before the war speak of a beast born of sea to rain fire on our nation's enemies. She called this beast Godzilla. Perhaps, if the time is right, this beast will someday emerge.

Nice thing about Godzilla you can fry weenies/marshmellows every time he sneezes. (just keep the pepper handy)

Top Bottom